Was this a mistake on the final table as a mid stack 5/8?

C

Crazylimbs87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi. I just played a smaller tournament with 288 entrants. I did a double rebuy pluss addon.

I played fearly okey all tournament i think as i never was in a spot where i needed to get lucky on the river to continue playing.

But on the final table we are 8 players. Im a mid stack 5/8 with around 18-19bb. 3 lower stacks are between 7-15bb and bigger ones around 35-60bb.

I get 99 in the big blind. Evryone folds until small blind with 35bb who i dont have 2 much info on as we dident play together before final table.

He bets 3 big blinds and i instant jams on him and only for him to snapp call with KK. In a small blind vs bb play on the final table beeing 5/8 was this a mistake in most cases?

i won 100 euro but it was 830 for first :p

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It depends, I personally wouldn't risk that way - but is a choice that many wold do, anyway congrats by the result.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
I would have reraised his 3 bb raise with 9 bb preflop if he reraises me allin I fold.If he calls I would have continued with extreme caution to the flop.

C

Crazylimbs87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Very standard play that just did not work out this time. Congrats with the 100 euro win :)
Thanks, that was what i tought as well but was abit unsure considering ICM or what they call it. I dont play often and and only learned by watching pro play and streamers so kinda playing on autopilot and gut feeling. But from what my mind remembers from watching better players i tought it was standard to get it in there :)

I allso played to win or atleast get top 3 so dident want to play safe to just get 5th or 6th . for me the money started to get nice at 4th-1th

As you can see im not the most impressive player, but maybe i should continued on WPN and GG? :)

Im guessing the av roi at 60% on gg is 2 littled played to be taken seriuously? :p 110 games.

takinitSLEAZEE

takinitSLEAZEE

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Congrats on the cash. That was a harsh reality to see KK but when you're in that spot it's either wait for some shorter stack(s) to bust (if you're lucky) or to dbl-up... Or try to make a move yourself and get lucky and dbl-up. But final tables can be that way.
It's weird how pairs seem to come in pairs, imo. I noticed that long ago. It's rare to see a paired starting hand stand alone, there's usually another one even if it gets folded.

SpanRmonka

SpanRmonka

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
The vast majority of times this hand plays itself. Maybe if 1-2 of the shorts stack were very very short, you can consider calling and folding on a flop of big overcards.

The reason is you have more incentive to try and ladder up, as those very short stacks are way more likely to be KO'd soon!

In this situation I think I would be doing the exact same thing.

C

Crazylimbs87

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
The vast majority of times this hand plays itself. Maybe if 1-2 of the shorts stack were very very short, you can consider calling and folding on a flop of big overcards.

The reason is you have more incentive to try and ladder up, as those very short stacks are way more likely to be KO'd soon!

In this situation I think I would be doing the exact same thing.

Thx man. Allredy feeling confident i did the right play and actually getting hungry to play more poker now. Before when i used to play i often drinking and smoking weed, now my focus is more on my nice new job and hitting the gym. So woundering if i can perform bether than i used to before :)

300HPGOD

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no other way to play this hand than how you did. 99 will have too many overcards to just call pre plus we are not deep enough to just call unless we have a hand we know we are calling down the whole way (such as AA or KK). This is a good jam you make based on hand and stack depth and just got unlucky that you ran into it. Unfortunately it happens and we all seem to be on the wrong end of this more often than we are on the winning side of it.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is a good jam you make based on hand and stack depth and just got unlucky that you ran into it.
Very unlucky in fact. The chance of getting dealt TT+ preflop is around 2,5% or 1 in 40. If someone open from UTG, then hand selection takes place. Maybe at most they play 20% of hands on an 8-handed final table. So the chance of UTG having TT+ is 12,5% or 1 in 8. Maybe even higher if he is a tight player. But when it folds to SB, and there is an ante, and he cover BB, and there is ICM-pressure, then SB is not supposed to ever fold and give BB a walk.

So unless he does something super unbalanced and only raise very strong hands but limp the rest, then his range here is literally any two cards or at least super wide. Sometimes he has QQ, but waaaaay more often he has Q4o, T3s and tons of other nonsense, which he will fold facing a jam. And which we want him to fold, because even these junky hands have at least 30% equity against our 99.

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

FoolsTilt
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Very unlucky in fact. The chance of getting dealt TT+ preflop is around 2,5% or 1 in 40. If someone open from UTG, then hand selection takes place. Maybe at most they play 20% of hands on an 8-handed final table. So the chance of UTG having TT+ is 12,5% or 1 in 8. Maybe even higher if he is a tight player. But when it folds to SB, and there is an ante, and he cover BB, and there is ICM-pressure, then SB is not supposed to ever fold and give BB a walk.

So unless he does something super unbalanced and only raise very strong hands but limp the rest, then his range here is literally any two cards or at least super wide. Sometimes he has QQ, but waaaaay more often he has Q4o, T3s and tons of other nonsense, which he will fold facing a jam. And which we want him to fold, because even these junky hands have at least 30% equity against our 99.
You give a great response and you get this >> (maybe it's a translation issue)
ScreenHunter 19207

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
In the final table, I think it was a good choice to go all-in with 99, but he shows KK, and you didn't get another 9. You were unlucky, but the choice was ok!

Tadi

Tadi

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
You played correctly, congratulations on a good game and money won.

Gallarado777

Gallarado777

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
if I had as many blinds left and was on the final table with 99, I would play just like you, and of course the result would be bad because he had QC, but the main thing is not to judge after the cards you see but to do the right thing you did but lose, it happens