No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Turbo
Currency
$
Conventional wisdom say, that we should raise preflop with our strong hands. However by limping we can disquise the strength of our hand and win far more chips after the flop. In this 18-man SnG from pokerstars my opponent masterfully illustrated the concept. Watch and learn :)

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Excellent...
Limp from the middle of the table (especially with more than 6 players) will never be an option for me. There's why!

Probably with a mini raise he would already avoid this situation... But with everything in poker, it's about choosing the desired cost benefit.

Now he has Aces, against big bets from sb, which as far as we know, even though he has no idea of our range, which has a lot of value as we are betting out of position against 3 players.

He put himself in a difficult situation. But I will never get tired of admiring limping strategies (laughs) outside of final positions.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Excellent...
Limp from the middle of the table (especially with more than 6 players) will never be an option for me. There's why!

Probably with a mini raise he would already avoid this situation... But with everything in poker, it's about choosing the desired cost benefit.

Now he has Aces, against big bets from sb, which as far as we know, even though he has no idea of our range, which has a lot of value as we are betting out of position against 3 players.

He put himself in a difficult situation. But I will never get tired of admiring limping strategies (laughs) outside of final positions.
Actually no a min raise does not win this pot---sb calls a min some % of the time- flops two pairs and the AA goes broke anyway if they cannot get away from 1 pair here
:unsure::geek:

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Actually no a min raise does not win this pot---sb calls a min some % of the time- flops two pairs and the AA goes broke anyway if they cannot get away from 1 pair here
I am not calling from SB with 75s, and neither is GTO Wizard, when I put the program into MTT 30BB mode. So yes raising preflop, even a minraise, would have gotten rid of me and avoided the "cooler" :)

kunkgreen

kunkgreen

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips

I don't know... actually against a decent opponent I would think about overfolding (I would, I don't know if I could)...
Giving him two pairs (at least) or more, as well as some very strong draw combos (but he has the nut flushdraw blocker on the flop) which intrigues us even more for a bet of 3/4 of the pot on the turn.

I believe that a mini-raise would scare away many people with these hands from the small blind, but certainly a slightly larger opening (around 2.3 ~ 2.8bb) would have a more significant effect on the folding of these more marginal hands.
The stacks are also starting to get short... I would feel like calling but I would probably just fold
Of course, with more additional information we could make adaptations.

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Conventional wisdom say, that we should raise preflop with our strong hands. However by limping we can disquise the strength of our hand and win far more chips after the flop. In this 18-man SnG from PokerStars my opponent masterfully illustrated the concept. Watch and learn :)

I have been watching and learning, Sir! :geek:

Limping, especially in an S&G, only makes sense if the table is aggressive and there are a lot of raises and re-raises.
This hand was a beautiful example of why one shouldn't limp with the monster. 👌