$1.11 NL HE MTT: Would you call this river?

Fold or call?

• Hard fold

• Easy fold

• I don't know

• Easy call

• Hard call

Results are only viewable after voting.
Hospedar

Hospedar

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Buy-in
Game Options
  1. Bounty
  2. Rebuy
AF
Currency
$
Screenshot 2024 02 04 12 54 20 518 comnsuspokerprodggpcom

I don't know his exactly VPIP or PFR, but I remember that he was opening with raises everytime (always 2.5bb) and that he was doing this a little bit more than the common, which means that he probably has a weak range, but not as an usual donkey player...

If you know that he has a quite open range and hits that flop, that turn and that river, what would you do if you was in my position?

Would you fold that 50% pot bet at the flop? Even with that A flush draw with a little opportunity to get a straight or a straight flush?

Would you fold at that second barrel bet after the turn?

If you reached the river, would you call that last all-in bet?

I will answer why I called that river...

1st→ I was playing a cheap bounty tournament at GGPoker.

2nd→ We were with a large stack, specially me (Almost 30bb more than him).

3rd→ We know that a triple barrel aggressive bet means a polarized range/hand, which means that he was with the best hand possible or with the worst hand that the world could have seen.

4th→ Actually, I don't think he would bet that aggressively if he was nuts, for example...

5th→ As I know he wasn't a completely donkey that plays every single hand, I was thinking that he doesn't got anything with that community cards and I was winning at the river against most part of his hands (like QJ, KJ, KQ or lower suited A hands).

6th→ As you can see at the screenshot, I used my time bank to think about these things and decided to risk it all. But that could have been a massive chip loss (as he has an open range, I was fearing a small pair, or an over pair, or even an AJ+ hand).

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Preflop
Facing prior action we typically want to fold the bottom of our normal raise first in range. From this seat ATo is right near that bottom, so this call is to loose. Maybe you can sometimes make it on BTN looking to abuse your position. But here 3 other players can call behind and take position on you, and 5 players can put in a 3-bet.

Flop and turn
Think its pretty standard to call here with the nut flushdraw and a little bit of showdown value as well. Folding is definitely to tight, and on the turn he goes so big, you cant really raise without committing him.

River
Typically we do not want to call a tripple barrel with just A high. But I tend to agree, that his sizing is a bit polarizing. And then blockers become more important than absolute hand strenght, at least to some extend. So As is an important card to have in your hand, since then he cant have the nut flush, which makes it more likely, he is bluffing.

However the issue is, he could sometimes be bluffing with a better hand like AJ-AK or 44-55. And then you kind of have eggs all over your face, if you call with AT and pay off his bluff. So in real time I probably fold here. But to give you credit for a possible good read, I choose "difficult call". If he is bluffing with Q9 of diamonds, then he likely have waaaay to many bluffs, and maybe you had a good read on him in real time :)

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
I think that your opponent was a kind of a loose player, who is trying to bluff additionally. I would watch carefully and I would play the hand I would think he was weak, and I think you assessed the situation like this.