S

skaterick

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
rule #1 : if you cant play good , play tight . rule #2 : if you cant play good or tight , drink whiskey and play frisky !

scobido

scobido

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it's best to be the natural one showing a poker face, that is, very seriously, like when you started a project that you must succeed in, so as not to show your emotions and of course you should watch the reactions of others from the table, waiting for some decent cards.

Andromedaaa

Andromedaaa

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
I have never played a live poker tournament, so I need advice!

What tips would you give an online poker player who will be playing their first ever live tournament?

d48b575c2fd02fd8ed61b36a92ab9575.jpg

Let me know. Appreciate your input. :)
I cannot give any advice, but I can tell you how my first time was. I had never played poker before and my friend took me to a poker club. The first thing that happened was that I was checked by a security guard, the second thing was that I filled out the paperwork, went to the person behind the counter and got my number. After getting to the table it was very tense and I didn't even know what a blind xd was. In about 10 hands I lost all my chips after a bad all-in.

I think the most important thing is confidence, you have to try not to lost it in when you start the game. But that's always easy to say but not to do

Atararo14

Atararo14

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
I advise this player to stay focused on the progress of the hands even if he folds to gain an advantage over his opponents and also to count his stack per big blind.

ledsmith

ledsmith

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
I've never played live myself, so I can't give you any advice. And I don’t believe in the benefit of any advice, if that’s what you need, go play and have fun. I don’t claim ten chips, I just wrote what I think

Nokaut men 1997

Nokaut men 1997

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Caution is never enough.
Patience is a characteristic of good players.
Observing and studying opponents.
And all of the above is not a guarantee of success.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
lots of studying and preparation is a guarantee for success .. i think

and a little bit of CrazyY!!

I Live Poker

I Live Poker

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

What tips would you give an online poker player who will be playing their first ever live tournament?

Go with faith! Pay attention to the size of the bets. Be calm and calm, make decisions in your own time.
Pay attention to your opponents, of course.
Take up your space at the table, have posture.
Trust the learnings you've learned in online poker and don't be afraid to execute.
Map your opponents' stacks and keep in mind how many big blinds are more or less, just don't be neurotic about it, have an idea and update the mapping from time to time.
And lastly: CRUSH!

Poker_Mike

Poker_Mike

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips

Andy - how did it go?

Can you tell us your experience?

Despite all the advice posted - what do you wish you knew before you went?

I'm hoping for the best for your story.

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If anyone asks, The reason you are foaming at the mouth is because you caught Rabies

Bummy

Bummy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
UA
Chips
At least - don't worry, worry will always play against you. Play slowly, intelligently, follow the movements and actions of others.

Sebbour

Sebbour

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HR
Chips

If you have time to play live before your first ever live tournament I would suggest that you play live cash game, just to get used to live game and it's pace. It's certainly more slower than online. You have to be patient. You need to find your own rhythm. I used to wait and look at my cards when it was my turn (before that I was observing what other players where doing). I wouldn't suggest listening to a music for the first time playing live because you'll need to pay attention what other players and dealer are saying and/or doing. Also I would suggest that you focus on to that you don't give some tells rather than looking for others.

If you have possibility (and it's allowed in this tournament) bring some friend with you so they can observe you and see if you are giving something away when you have strong and weak hands.

My experience of live game (either tournaments or cash game) tells me that people generally go into pot with good starting hands, they bluff very rarely if any and they play their cards and not opponents.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
My best tip for first time live poker players...BREATHE. It can be quite intimidating and overwhelming to sit down at a live table for the first time. I've done it hundreds of times and sometimes I still get SUPER DUPER nervous when I first sit down. I'm talking about the type of nervousness that has extreme physical symptoms like sweating and shaking. I always relax after a few minutes but it can be crazy at first.

Another thing to remember is that live poker is a completely different game than online, ESPECIALLY when you're playing against seasoned players. They will pick up on tells, keep your poker face lol. Also, you can pick up tells on them!!!

Be patient. The hands don't come as fast and furious as they do online. This doesn't bother me, especially at tables with good banter. You don't even have to participate, you can just sit back and be entertained by all the characters haha. Some people may have a different experience though, so remember the hands will be slower.

Be aware of your surroundings and what's going on. Don't be that person who constantly has to be reminded its' their turn. You may need to help push a pot to a winner or move the dealer button.

STRING BETS!!! Once your chips move across the line or even just forward in some circumstances, you have bet. You cannot add or subtract from that amount. Sometimes however, say someone bets $10 and all you have is $100 chip, you can silently place one chip into the pot area and it is considered a call. RAISES should be announced before acting. Be careful with this and always confirm the house rules. DO NOT SPLASH THE POT. When you put your bet in, move it forward, but not directly into the pot. Do not throw bets in willy-nilly.

There's plenty more to learn, but I feel like I've done my part, and I'll let my fellow cardschatters educate you further ;)

pavel1111111

pavel1111111

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
I hâd the opportunity to play just a single live tournament în Bulgaria, Aldo i am from România 😂😂 and lucky me i won it 🤩🤩🤩 IT wanst a very big Field of players, i think was around 50 players, but still it was an awesome experience for me and I would love to try it again 😁

woohoo sue

woohoo sue

Brings Laughter
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
try looking at the corners of your cards before your turn ....lol there is a right corner and a wrong corner ... after picking up my corners to look at cards i looked up and the whole table was looking at me ...as i had to to twist turn the cards so i could see the visible corners ....good laugh had by all

Brigistul

Brigistul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Don't talk to the anyone you're in the game.

19aleks57

19aleks57

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Any player who has been playing constantly in online tournaments for a couple of years will be able to quickly enter live poker games, in which the cards are dealt by the dealer, not the program, and you will see this difference in the first game, but your skills supported by the software will have to be transformed into real ones. that players use live.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the real difference is that all players give off tells. if you can notice them, great, it will help you make decisions , but remember that you also give off tells, so be aware of that. Keep a good poker face, try to act the same all the time, weather you have a monster or nothing!
Good luck!

Toruk Makto

Toruk Makto

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's good to always keep your breathing balanced!!
That says a lot about the player.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
hood, sunglasses, mask, and don't move.
Only then will we have any chance.

VictorOd

VictorOd

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Be aware, patient and accurate, there is no hardware and software to count chips and remind you when it's your turn.

VVi10

VVi10

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Just try to pay more attention to the players, the way they are playing and a lot of patience to choose the best play.

BillyR23

BillyR23

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Live tournaments are IMO completely different then online tournaments and you'll need to do some adjustments: first of all- always pay attention and try to figure out your opponents style of play(maybe pick up on some body tells etc...) and the most important adjustment is to play more aggressively: 3-bet more preflop, defend your big blind more often then online, bet your draws(even the bad ones as many players play too tight live and it's easy to give up a bad hand when someone that's usually passive fights back... but more often you'll pick up quite a few small pots), this way you'll send a message to the table that you're not there to just have fun and this will make it easier for you later in the game when the blinds will get bigger- the image you've built will make some players avoid stealing your blinds and/or getting way out of line against you...

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Gameplay is much much slower than online. You go through only about 25 hands an hour. Something you have to prepare yourself for be patient and try not to get frustrated when other players seem to tank forever.

Need to plan and practice on how you will look at your hole cards. You don't want the person next you seeing your holdings. Good practice if new to live play is to not wait until your turn to act to watch your cards. There will be more eyes on you when your turn to act.

Need to be mindful that other players can see your face and body. So try to avoid auto reaction to situations. Also try to have a set routine for putting chips into pot.

Counting chips is a big adjustment. When online we know every player chip stack and how much is in pot at a glance. Live you have to eyeball it and keep rough estimate in your head. No one likes someone who is asking for other players chip count every other hand. So make yourself familiar with the chip denominations and colors. There is no hard rule but most stack chips in 10s or 20s easier to count.

Most of all have some fun at the table. Talk and interact with other players at table (maybe not while in middle of intense hand). You are sure to hear some interesting stories.

Organize a Home Poker Game Poker Tips