When I haven't played poker for a while...

ramdon p358

ramdon p358

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
When I haven't played poker for a while I feel like I'm losing practice, it's difficult for me to make good decisions with some hands

M

Magallaneroy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Ir hard for me to stop playing, I just take breaks when I'm losing or not feeling good.

888NOX888

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In any job, you need to take a break, take a vacation, I think you need to do this in poker, I doubt that in a couple of weeks you will forget how to play.

Ogma

Ogma

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
IE
Chips
Controversial to some, but it's very much a game of luck anyway. Certainly when a group of players are of a certain similar skillset. Of course, in any competitive fixture a rest will benefit up to a point. Too much rest will then be counterproductive.

I've recently had 5 months off due to work and my mum passing and generally not being in the mood for poker. Within 3 games I was back to reaching final tables again. It's like riding a bike.

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What do you think? If you take breaks in the game, does your skill get lost or does it stay in place...
If I take a long break, a month or more, I start the game with freerolls to regain my confidence. 1-2 days and this is quite enough for me to completely restore the form as before the break.

Michel_11

Michel_11

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
We are definitely left behind. Poker evolves every day, if we stop playing and studying we will be overcome.

Things that used to work may no longer work, as well as leaving us untrained to perform the basic functions required by the game (mental and physical).

lilypond

lilypond

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
I took long breaks from poker and forgot a lot of things during that time. If I study again, I could reach the same level in a shorter space of time though. Also, I've probably forgotten some of my strategies I developed whilst playing.

manzanillo53

manzanillo53

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What do you think? If you take breaks in the game, does your skill get lost or does it stay in place...
Depends on the break, are you going to ignore poker the whole break, if so yes you may lose something.

O

odonob

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Like riding a bike I think, or any other skill you not have used in some time. I think actually that you can pick up poker again pretty quickly, there is no real run in time.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This will depend on whether this time is short or long, if it is too long I believe it will affect your game

sincos

sincos

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I remember 90 percent of the basic techniques in poker, the remaining 10 percent I remember in a week...

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
because i've been playing for a while it mainly stays in place, at least i think it does

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
For me the breaks are good, I play with more willing.

S

s0ftdumps

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Chips
Relearning is actually much more difficult than learning something from scratch. But this is no longer a story about a “return”, but about a “correction” of crooked ideas laid down earlier.Over all these years, poker has not changed a bit, and all the old tricks work like clockwork. People play very loosely preflop, fold too often to continuation bets, defend their checks poorly, and on top of that they fold too often on the river in big pots.I didn’t play poker for about five years and I managed to come back and become a regular, which means that anyone can do it with the right amount of desire.
Adapting your strategies after a hiatus can indeed feel like a challenge, but it's impressive to hear how you've not only made a comeback but also thrived as a regular player. Your observation about the consistency of old tricks in poker speaks volumes about the enduring nature of the game's strategies.

S

Styx

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AR
Chips
When i stop playing for a while, i usually forget which hand is stronger than the others

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
It's like riding a bike, you never forget it, but when you come back, you don't have the same skills

iceheart888

iceheart888

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
taking breaks can have both positive and negative effects on your skill level. On one hand, breaks can help you reset and come back to the game with a fresh perspective, potentially improving your decision-making and focus. On the other hand, if you take extended breaks from playing, you may lose some of the sharpness and strategic thinking that comes with regular practice.

john_entony

john_entony

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The fewer tournaments I play at the same time, the harder it is to beat me. If we're talking about breaks, it's also good for me, because playing poker for a long time somehow makes the quality of my play at the table worse. For example, yesterday in the tournament I made a childish mistake at the final table, but then I realized that I was just tired, as the tournament had already been over 5 hours long. :unsure:

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
The basic rules do not disappear, of course, but you have to get used to the other conditions of the game, the format, the mentality of the players, and the bad beats. Transferring money and playing right away is never a good solution (although it is also true that if you register in a new room, you can certainly be successful in the first - 'familiarization' - period). First freerolls then SNGs.

Gdefender

Gdefender

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
Taking a break is good for me! I calm down mentally, I'm busy with completely different things, so sometimes I stop playing poker completely! With this step, I prevent myself from being completely nervous, I don't become addicted to gambling, and the game is much better after the missed time......but this just my own opinion!

F

Fushicho

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If I haven't played for a while I play to many hands cos I'm happy to see a flop with cards. Hopefully I still have chips when I remember that you're still playing when you fold.

Acechador

Acechador

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Sometimes you just need to give yourself some time, whether you need a break from the tables or perform an analysis of the game you have played in the last 3 months.

I take a break every 3 months to analyze the errors and successes of my hands.