Favorite Poker Quotes

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“It’s said that the two psychological features of snipers are patience and stubbornness. Some might say the same is true for good poker players.” -- Stephen Bloomfield

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Poker’s the only game fit for a grown man. Then, your hand is against every man’s, and every man’s is against yours.”
W. Somerset Maugham

Rob Hobson

Rob Hobson

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
“Life is too long to play bad cards.”
Frank Dielsi

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“Take time to deliberate; but when the time for action arrives, stop thinking and go in.” -- Andrew Jackson

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"I’ve gotten broke more times playing the bottom two pair than with any other hand playing Hold 'em." -- Doyle Brunson

Colbefc

Colbefc

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can't remember who said it but "poker is hours of boredom leading to 2 or 3 minutes of sheer terror.

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“If I lose today, I can look forward to winning tomorrow, and if I win today, I can expect to lose tomorrow. A sure thing is no fun.” -- Chico Marx

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“Seldom do the lambs slaughter the butcher.” -- Amarillo Slim

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Jim, I recommend you give up drinking, cut out poker, stop staying up late, and, especially, quit running around with women." -- Dr. McCoy in Star Trek

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Nothing belongs on a poker table but cards, chips and whiskey." -- Tennessee Williams

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“No wife can endure a gambling husband unless he is a steady winner.” -- Lord Dewar

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“I’m absolutely gonna win it, because I’m ruthless. I sit at the poker table and my job is to destroy people.” -- James Woods

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"It’s in my character to feel worse about folding a winner than betting a loser." -- John Updike

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“Besides lovemaking and singing in the shower, there aren’t many human activities where there is a greater difference between a person’s self-delusional ability and their actual ability than in poker.” -- Steve Badger

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Even more than most other forms of poker, No Limit Hold'em is a game which sorts sheep from goats, men from boys, locals from tourists and pros from amateurs, as the prime requisite of a good Hold'em player is aggressiveness." -- Anthony Holden

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Bad beats are a really bad mental habit. You don’t want to ever dwell on them. It doesn’t help you become a better player. It’s like dumping your garbage on someone else’s lawn. It just stinks." -- Erik Seidel

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"A lot of players—thanks, Pop—think they have a poker face. But they only use it when they’re holding something of value." -- Christopher Coake

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"You’d put in everything, your wife, your parrot, to prevent him from drawing, you make it too expensive. . . . You know you have the best hand as things stand. You bet all your money." -- Michael Ondaatje

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
" If you understood everything I said, you'd be me." -- Miles Davis

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
“Poker is generally thought to be America’s second most popular after-dark activity. Sex is good, they say, but poker lasts longer.” -- Al Alvarez

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"You wanna learn about a person, it costs you. And the more you learn, the more it costs." -- David Goodis

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"Simple pleasures. Music and dance, wine, ale, dice and cards." -- Guy Gavriel Kay

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"There is an unwritten rule among regulars that obvious live ones, wealthy losers, and cardroom strangers should never be criticized publicly or made to feel bad about their poor play and the extent of their losses." -- David Hayano

Whaevoz

Whaevoz

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"To him it didn’t matter if he was playing no limit or penny ante. He still liked to make the right percentage play. It was a matter of pride." -- Dick Miles