Winning Strategy: Aggressive or Conservative in Poker Tournaments?

L

La reytor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
EC
Chips
Which strategy do you prefer to use in a poker tournament: be aggressive from the start or play conservatively until the blinds increase? Why?

Ruslan L

Ruslan L

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Which strategy do you prefer to use in a poker tournament: be aggressive from the start or play conservatively until the blinds increase? Why?
I usually play with good cards, play aggressively if necessary, try not to take unnecessary risks and bluff without fanaticism :)
I think they call it a tight-aggressive style of play.

Flyer35

Flyer35

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Most people play conservatively at the beginning of a tournament, BUT are willing to call just about any amount pre-flop with a hand that they want to play. It's a psychological phenomenon that has always baffled me.

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Most people play conservatively at the beginning of a tournament, BUT are willing to call just about any amount pre-flop with a hand that they want to play. It's a psychological phenomenon that has always baffled me.
some people are addicted to chance and play poker like the slot machines.

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is villan and format dependent.

There is a big difference between the villans 3 betting you every time and them folding to you every time.

Another thing to consider is the tourneys structure: a winner takes all - requires a lot of aggressiveness, while a tourney that pays half - requires a lot of patience.

Chebchoub

Chebchoub

Poker is one of life's mysteries
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Our reading of the players and distributions is what determines whether we should be aggressive in some cases and passive in others.
If we face aggressive opponents, we will mostly have to play the stealth and submarine skills, in addition to choosing a strong hand associated, suited, and the good position on the table.
If we face negative opponents, then we will play cautiously and aggressively with strong hands so that we do not become easy prey.