Sometimes you qualify for a tournament worth x10 of your ABI, what to do with panic?

Fosterbio

Fosterbio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
Sometimes you qualify for a tournament that is much bigger than your ABI. How can you calm yourself down so that you can play it normally? Has anyone had this kind of anxiety, and what can you do about it?

Nafor

Nafor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
FI
Chips
That is a good question. No matter the buy-in still it is just a one game, one of many that you will play in years to come.
Realize that you can do your best with the skill set you have today and that is enough. Trying to panic study some new concepts will probably not get you anywhere. Just breathe, and enjoy the ride. If the field is thousands of players your chances to big prizes are quite slim anyway.

choprav

choprav

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Deep breathes, music that chills you out n a wee drink if that helps you

Fosterbio

Fosterbio

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
MD
Chips
Previously, in such situations, I advised my friend not to look at the prize money under any circumstances

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i never treat one tournament different from another. money aside, you get cards, you play your hand and hope for the best, and repeat every time the dealer deals.

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
Mostly play online. And since live is softer.....

Nothing different. I play any MTT's from $1.10-Sunday Million(with longer blinds).

Study my notes/exploits on the player pool at that MTT stake level. Sit down and play.

Cheers!!!

TeUnit

TeUnit

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Just try to play your best game, relax and make sure you think through every spot.

If it really bothers you and you can unreg and take the cash then do that. Scared money doesnt usually perform well.

millya5

millya5

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Yes I had a similar situation. I won a ticket to a good Bounty tournament.

I was just waiting for a good hand. I even threw away good hands to be in the prizes .I remember I folded a good hand and I could have won and doubled. Of course I was worried, but I wanted to cash the ticket

bullkk

bullkk

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
And I don't panic, I play calmly.

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I do get nervous especially at the end of MTT's, I know it is a bad advice but a little of alcohol may help, just don't drink too much! It will ruin your game.

M

mssmotilda

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Personally, I just don’t think about the fact that this is an expensive tournament and I play as usual, I just try to play more carefully and attentively.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
First you should be happy to be able to play a big tournament. When I play tournaments my aim is to play the biggest tournaments. But because of my bankroll I can only play small tournaments so when you get a chance to play a big tournament without risking your bankroll you should be the most comfortable player. But don’t worry after a few pots you will be good 👍 and just relax and enjoy the ride. Play your game. Good luck 👍.

iwont20

iwont20

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
What I learnt from my experience is that I should not break my usual game by trying to adjust to this high buy-in. Like - starting to play nittier or tighter or more passive. This approach has always cost me. Of course, you need to tone down your aggression a bit, but way less than one would assume. So my tip is to try and disregard the buy-in as much as possible, don't focus on that table thinking you have to "perform" there, maybe open more tables of your usual buy-in and just play your best game. After all, that is the game which got you to this tournament in the first place.

infonazar

infonazar

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Sometimes you qualify for a tournament that is much bigger than your ABI. How can you calm yourself down so that you can play it normally? Has anyone had this kind of anxiety, and what can you do about it?
This is the fear of most players. But panic is clearly unnecessary here. In such situations, you just need to forget about money and try to play a good, correct game and make good decisions. Forget about the prize money, think about your good decisions.

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Its a good question and one - many of us have encountered whether it be a seat won via a satellite or other. I remember my first Sunday Storm on pokerstars and thats what like only $11 or so?
I guess what i noticed was that there were far less online leaks or tells from play and that tight aggressive play was commonplace early game. I agree with some of the other comments before that patience is key, playing any MTT whether micro or other stakes is an art as no one wins anything really in the first few hours if there is a large field of play.
Knowing your optimal hands, building an idea of other players ranges can take time but essentially - i took my micro game through the gears and stuck to key principals like bet sizing was for me a massive game changer especially at higher stakes where you will get usually a more developed player (however not always!).
I used to think if i wanted to play better, more experienced players and test myself, i had to participate more in bigger games and higher stakes, after about a year or so of building up my base knowledge, i used to play 1 game a week at a higher level usually a turbo for me, however this isnt an exact science and the key fundamental thing to always consider is the effective bankroll.
Calming techniques for me was and always will be music when i play, it reduces the anxiety and before too long you find yourself in similar spots in games and the win/lose will develop you as a player, good luck.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are going to feel this kind of anxiety, then maybe dont play the satellite in the first place? Unless its a freeroll of course.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
I mean what's the panic about.... you qualified, you have nothing to lose and everything to gain, play your game😎👍