My satellite strategy

DavidWhite

DavidWhite

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Thought I'd post this as help for those who want it. I play satties a lot, normally for $1 buyin, looking to get into big tournaments. It works well, just today and yesterday Ive sattied into a $215 mtt, the sunday storm, and three $11 mtts.

It's all a level playing field when you start, right? No, it's not. Satties have lots of fish trying to score a ticket. so in the early stages, try and see flops with suited connectors, small pairs, etc. if you have a big hand, play aggressively preflop. Open up the lobby of your game, and see where you are standing at all times. As the fish get knocked out, still keep an eye on your position. If your in the money place, play tight and look for good spots. If you're out of the prizes, you're gonna need to build your stack, so go allin with most aces and good broadway. Attack the small stacks with medium to good hands, you wanna knock them out and move up. On the bubble, if you're in a good prize place, fold almost everything, including premium, yesterday I folded AA and KK as I was in the top 3 and didnt need to gamble. Get a ticket and run it up!
Good luck.
PS The book I read purely on sattelites is Poker satellite strategy by Dara O'Kearney

GarotoMaroto

GarotoMaroto

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Once i won a Big 11$ after a 1$ satelite,its was awesome,if i get the money i probably will read this book one day,satellites are the best whey to make great profit,just thinking about winning a satelite already make me feel like i could play some poker now XD
God bless

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apart from the bubble play all of this advice is equally valid for regular $1 MTTs or for that matter any microstakes MTT.

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Thought I'd post this as help for those who want it. I play satties a lot, normally for $1 buyin, looking to get into big tournaments. It works well, just today and yesterday Ive sattied into a $215 mtt, the sunday storm, and three $11 mtts.

It's all a level playing field when you start, right? No, it's not. Satties have lots of fish trying to score a ticket. so in the early stages, try and see flops with suited connectors, small pairs, etc. if you have a big hand, play aggressively preflop. Open up the lobby of your game, and see where you are standing at all times. As the fish get knocked out, still keep an eye on your position. If your in the money place, play tight and look for good spots. If you're out of the prizes, you're gonna need to build your stack, so go allin with most aces and good broadway. Attack the small stacks with medium to good hands, you wanna knock them out and move up. On the bubble, if you're in a good prize place, fold almost everything, including premium, yesterday I folded AA and KK as I was in the top 3 and didnt need to gamble. Get a ticket and run it up!
Good luck.
PS The book I read purely on sattelites is Poker satellite strategy by Dara O'Kearney

It is a strategy I use myself in most Tournaments, I have done well in many Satellite Tournaments in the past, getting seats in much bigger prize pools, and even making the money bubble in them, Even in Live games this strategy serves me well, and I remember one I played in Manchester, I was asked by one of the organisers if I was going to win it?
I replied "God Knows, I will be happy if I reach the Final Table!" She said "Why stop at the Final Table, Why not win it outright?"
"Because there is 150 other players out for my blood, I will be Happy to survive long enough to make the FT"
I came 2nd in that Tourney on a Final hand I will never forget, being dealt K/Q of Diamonds I raised my opponent, he limped and the flop came down A,K,Q, He checked, I bet my 2 Pair and he pushed all-in. Thinking he might be on a draw or top pair at best I called and he turned over a pair of Kings in his hand, Game over after surviving 8 hours of hard play, But I shook his hand, with no regrets, because I had done wat I wanted and made the FT.

Huntre

Huntre

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
to accomplish all that was said, make sure that you have enough time at no one disturbed you at the play

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
There is no universal strategy in poker. Play as your heart tells you.It is important to find the balance of the game and be able to switch gears.

M

Margo17

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
At partypoker there are subsatellites that offer places for tournaments on Sundays for $22 and 109 is very good!

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is no universal strategy in poker. Play as your heart tells you.It is important to find the balance of the game and be able to switch gears.
Math is a universal strategy for poker---properly applying it is the difficult part.:unsure::geek:

Luka22guro

Luka22guro

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Подумал, что опубликую это как помощь тем, кто этого хочет. Я много играю в сэтти, обычно с бай-ином в 1 доллар, в надежде попасть на крупные турниры. Это работает хорошо, только сегодня и вчера я попал в МТТ по 215 долларов, воскресный шторм и три МТТ по 11 долларов.

Когда вы начинаете, все в равных условиях, верно? Нет, это не так. У Сэтти много рыб, пытающихся выиграть билет. поэтому на ранних стадиях старайтесь увидеть флопы с одномастными коннекторами, маленькими парами и т. д. Если у вас сильная рука, играйте агрессивно на префлопе. Откройте лобби своей игры и всегда смотрите, где вы находитесь. Когда рыба выбивается из строя, все равно следите за своей позицией. Если у вас деньги, играйте тайтово и ищите хорошие места. Если у вас закончились призы, вам нужно будет увеличить свой стек, поэтому делайте олл-ин с большинством тузов и хорошим бродвеем. Атакуйте маленькие стеки со средними и хорошими руками, вы хотите их выбить и продвинуться вверх. На баббле, если вы находитесь в хорошем призовом месте, сбрасывайте почти все, включая премиум. Вчера я сбросил AA и KK, так как был в топ-3, и мне не нужно было рисковать. Бери билет и беги!
Удачи.
PS Книга, которую я читаю исключительно о сателлитах, — это «Сателлитная стратегия в покере» Дары О'Кирни.
I agree, this is a very good tip, and there are actually a lot of fish, and the level usually grows very quickly, so you need to use a lot of hands.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
This strategy is not quite suitable in satellite freerolls, where almost every hand is an all-in multipot with 62 hands, D4, A3, etc. Luck plays a big role here.

A kiravio

A kiravio

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
Yes it is a good thread. Thanks for that too!
It's just that I don't really get along with math because of the variables...it never gets me right🤔, I think I'm locked up.
Here I have to calculate how likely I am to lose in the target tournament 😉:Screenshot 2024 06 23 19 33 55 590 compyrsoftwarepokerstarsro

BelFish

BelFish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
Nice strategy! :)
It would also be interesting to know the money balance statistics: how much the buy-ins cost in total and how much tickets (in $) are won for these buy-ins...

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
yes, indeed , good advices to play on satties
The most frustrating part for me is when I fold premium hands and finish up bubble boy

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I usually play free satellites, very few paid entry satellites, when I do it is because it is for some Omaha tournament, but I think that I do share a lot of what you say, although I am not monitoring the lobby, I almost always know how many chips I need to be comfortable in the tournament and get the ticket, since I generally always play the same satellites every day, I know that when I have a certain stack I'm fine and I don't need to take risks

Igor Popadyk

Igor Popadyk

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
my opinion is that books quickly become outdated and lose their relevance, playing qualifying tournaments and being ready to play the main tournament is a big difference

Poker Tells