Good tournaments for a beginner poker player?

• Thread starter Robert Anderson
  • Start date
Robert Anderson

Robert Anderson

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
AU
Chips
Hi everyone!

I just recently joined the forum and I'm excited to connect with like-minded people. I'm mainly interested in slots, but I've decided to branch out and try my hand at poker. As a newcomer to poker, I'm looking for some recommendations on which poker tournament I should consider starting with.

Do you have any advice on a good tournament for beginners? Any tips or insights would be greatly appreciated!

Looking forward to your suggestions and to being part of this community.

Thanks in advance!

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Hi @Robert Anderson ! I moved your post into a new thread all its own in the Tournament Poker section so that you can hopefully get more replies and advice. One thing I would suggest is checking out our Community Games. You can join in on the Bronze games, You can find out all about them, and how to sign-up here: CardsChat Community Freeroll Games: Bronze, Silver, & Platinum Level games daily on Replay Poker! Just give me a shout (you can tag me in any post) if you have any questions.

We also offer a variety of freerolls on 888poker, partypoker, and WPT Global. Though your profile says you are from Australia, so I don't believe those games would be available to you.

You also might like our free poker course: CardsChat 30 Day Poker Training Course

And we have scads of poker strategy content for you as well. Check out the library here: Poker Strategy

DavidWhite

DavidWhite

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
hey bud welcome to the site. i play exclusively sattelites and kockout tournaments. knockout tournies give you money when you knock people out, lot of fun, and you can win a lot of money before actually cashing. good luck bud

Dimidrol2

Dimidrol2

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
You've found the perfect option! Freerolls of all CC levels, they will definitely teach you real poker. And the main thing is that you will not have anything to spend only your time, MTT poker takes a lot of time, you need to get used to it

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you are completely new to poker, then I would suggest starting with freerolls and play money games to get the first experience without risking any money. This can teach you basic skills like hand ranking and reading boards. Then after that I personally think, SnGs are the best place to start for beginners, or alternatively cash games.

The reason is, you dont need to commit as much time, as you do with larger tournaments, and its easy to get some small wins. SnGs also give you final table experience, which is good, if you later move to larger tournaments. I would also avoid heads-up SnGs and any kind of hyperturbo games including Spin n Gos. And then lastly make sure to take CCs free 30 day course simultaneously with playing. Best of luck :)

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Choose tournaments with low AFS (less than 1000 participants) so that they make up 80% of the total load. Learn to use poker statistics and play in poker rooms where it is allowed. Or mix several rooms.A number of poker rooms that, in my opinion, are better suited for beginners based on certain criteria. For review, these are PokerKing, RedStar, partypoker and 888Poker.

S

successlaw

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You can start with freerolls and some small field tourneys . For freerolls I would recommend 888

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
Play freerolls,build a bankroll,get experience,find a way to play you enjoy.

yuriko oyama

yuriko oyama

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
the freerolls here are definitely the best to start with.(y)(y)(y)

Pokerpoet2

Pokerpoet2

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
There is a big difference between Slots and Poker, First of all Slots are Pure Luck, Poker is a lot more Skill based, Yes you can get Lucky and win the odd Game but Generally Skill will beat Luck hands Down.
Start by Reading and get a feel for how the game works as to Position being an important factor and how much stronger you are in certain positions over others, Watch a few Live games and see how others approach the game, Finally be aware of Bankroll Strategy It is always overlooked by beginners but is really important if you want to be a Profitable player,
Many serious players do not consider Poker as gambling, just because you can deposit $50 and play in a $50 game does not mean you should, even $5 is way above what you should be playing, so do your Study into Bankroll Strategy and stick to it, You won't regret it.
Then to get the Practice into games, Freerolls are a great way to gain Confidence and you can Learn to play with no cost to yourself, Many players have built a Bankroll purely from playing Freerolls and saving their wins to be able to buy-into real money games, Poker is a Fun game, but there is no Fun when you are constantly losing money.
Be Patient and eventually you will reap the rewards, just remember "Rome wasn't Built in a Day" neither are Bankrolls.
Have Fun and Good Luck.