First hand..

H

Haawglivin

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure what other players think or do in regards to the first hand they play in a tournament or when they are moved to a new table. Personally, I always try to get in on the first hand and more importantly take it down to establish a winning precedent. This of course is not a rule but something that I try to do to open with a win, basically to show the table that they should get used to me gathering up chips.. :)

Curious to know if others have similar thoughts

Huntre

Huntre

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
KZ
Chips
switching tables in mtt's it not always good thing, you need to get use to new people at the table and start with winning it a good strategy :)

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I prefer to have more information before making any kind of moves, so if anything I tend to play a little tighter in the first hand and give up on more marginal spots. I dont think, winning a single hand create "table image" in any meaningfull way. I play online and use a HUD, and this will not pop up until the second hand. So just by waiting this single hand, I will already have significantly more information.

Its not, that I cant play a hand without looking at the HUD, but if I put myself into some marginal spot like defending my blinds with K4 offsuit, then it is usefull to know something about the opponent to determine, how far I should take a hand like top pair no kicker postflop. So with no data or information available, I will be more likely to just not get involved.

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Another factor is, that I multitable and arrange tables manually. So I have a higher workload, when a new table pops up. Which is a further reason to just press fold, unless it would be a clear mistake.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i usually get to know the players and their quirks first, having said that, if the cards dictate to play , i play them.

Stringy

Stringy

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
i normally dont play it unless i have a crazy strong hand, mainly because there's always at least 2 who will go all in and if i loose then i'm out the whole tournament

Rachidao

Rachidao

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
At freerolls I usually play tighter at the start because of the bingo players.

userX

userX

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Not sure what other players think or do in regards to the first hand they play in a tournament or when they are moved to a new table. Personally, I always try to get in on the first hand and more importantly take it down to establish a winning precedent. This of course is not a rule but something that I try to do to open with a win, basically to show the table that they should get used to me gathering up chips.. :)

I think you've been playing poker for a very short time :)
And I think you could use our free course. It will definitely help you more than the first hand you win at the table :)

mariale_1990

mariale_1990

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
Each player has his strategy, and based on that in my case I must say that if I enter the 1st hand it is more by chance, by chance I have a strong hand with which I want to play, when I am at a new table I like to wait in the first hands and see how the other players act, I can't start playing so recklessly, each player has strategies, superstitions, obsessions...

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
It’s kind of a maniacal way of playing. I think you will do more harm to your chip stack because you will have good players at your table with real hands and sound skills and strategy waiting for you. If you loose a bunch of chips on the first hand then you are really in trouble when you could just fold and play a better strategy. Now if you are in a good position and a playable hand then go for it.
Good luck!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Always better than not to have a plan. I would question how effective you actually are in delivering the message you intend.

pancho_1954

pancho_1954

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
VE
Chips
I like to have more information about the table where I was traded, I think I can't establish a winning streak without knowing if there is some maniac player at the table, I think that if I have very good cards I can enter on the 1st move, but it depends on what cards they are and how those before me act.

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
You must be careful and focused from the beginning of the game, but it is better to observe and study first and not expose your stack from the beginning but progressively!

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

made me laugh, what does it mean to get used to the fact that you take away chips)) most likely they will watch you for a couple of tasks and you will have to get used to the fact that you will drop out of the tournament)

Propane Goat

Propane Goat

Grinder and paint make me the welder I ain't
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Trying to bully the table on the first hand isn't guaranteed to accomplish what you think it will in terms of table image. For example, getting aggro and building up a big pot with a villain that has a smaller stack then turning over Jack high doesn't tell the table that you're not somebody to be messed with, it tells the table that you're willing to donk off your chips with nothing and they will take advantage of that.

Rost

Rost

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

I am more forward-thinking. Every time I sit down at a new table or when I start a new tournament, I try to win it. This approach allows me to be as efficient as possible and get good results on the course. One hand can change the whole game, but one tournament can change the whole life :)

Poker Orifice

Poker Orifice

Swede Tooth
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I assess each spot as it comes up. I'm not going to deviate from what I'm attempting to be 'the best decision for each & every situation' in my first hand on a new table, just to attempt to send some kind of message that I don't even know if they're capable of hearing/seeing it. And I will do the same thing on the next spot.

M

martDdart

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
NO
Chips
First hand or last hand ,I play them all the same way, following my game plan.

Lena M

Lena M

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips

Does it help you?
Does it help you grow your bankroll and get a stable income from the game?
Not the first and not the last hand is important, all hands are important, but it does not mean that you have to win them all.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips

You should concentrate on winning the last hand.

BTW, the players at the table won't give a shit who wins the first hand.

(y)

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
I'm not a morning person😅..... takes me a couple hands to get situated, gotta find myself, move to my fave seat, seat who I'm playing etc. lol

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my opinion, the first losing hand will put more pressure on the player than the winning one. Because a significant loss of chips at the start leads to consequences.

Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands