R.Melnyk77

R.Melnyk77

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
What is the best strategy for playing against an aggressive player in a poker tournament?
There are quite a few options and you need to choose the one that suits you best, taking into account your basic game strategy. Aggressive players are my favourite opponents. I deal with them very simply, I don't give in to their provocative actions, and I patiently wait for my good moment. When that moment comes, the best thing I can do is to trap my aggressive opponent.

M

Magallaneroy

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
VE
Chips
Both are need, it depends of the opponents, in my case I like to be patient.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
against very aggressive players I avoid playing any hand, I play good hands and always play in position, this gives me advantages since the aggressive player tends to bluff a lot

oriole

oriole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
I think the best strategy is to appear weak with big hands and set traps. Some aggressive players aren’t 'sticky' and will fold when faced with counter-aggression, so in those cases, you need to bluff more often.

H

havingfun

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
ZA
Chips
The way I play against this opponent depends on my stack size compared to the aggressive player's stack. If I have a much bigger stack, then I will play back a lot more often, but if I have a similar or much smaller stack, then I will try to wait for a situation where I know I am most likely ahead to attack back.

Lucho.riv9

Lucho.riv9

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
It always depends on the player. If they are too aggressive and bet more than necessary, it’s only a matter of time before you get a hand where they will just hand you their chips.

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
The problem people have when playing against aggressive players is that they are not willing to call big bets with a medium hand or bluff raise in big pots. Instead, they just call one street with a weak pair, and if the opponent continues to press with bets on the turn and river, they easily give up.In many situations against aggressive opponents, it is profitable to call on the turn or river with a hand worse than top pair.Sometimes it is a good idea to leave the table if there are too many aggressive players. It will be much easier for you to win against loose-passive opponents who only raise with absolute nuts.