Bet Pocket Aces before the bubble (short stack)

E

Ekuul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
You are 1 off making the bubble. Would you bet AA if you had to go all in? You can last another 5 or six hands before the BB gets to you.

N

NotADonk

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are 1 off making the bubble. Would you bet AA if you had to go all in? You can last another 5 or six hands before the BB gets to you.
In that situation, I would go all in. As you can't survive the blinds there is a chance that no player will go out before the blinds hit you and then you are stuffed.

P

puzzlefish

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
These kinds of vague situations really don't give you any favours. It's just not that simple. You always need to take the entire situation into account.

You have AA. You're 1 player away from the bubble. You can last another 6 hands.

Ok, now the bigger questions.

What type of game is it? Is it bounty? Is it a normal game?

What is your position in the tournament? What are the stack sizes of the players most likely to get blinded out relative to your stack size? How likely is it for someone to get knocked out before you in the next 6 hands?

How many players are left to act after you at your table? What are their stack sizes like relative to yours? What is the betting action like?

You are more likely to find yourself being called off by several players especially if you are a tiny short stack and especially in a bounty game. You don't want multiway pots when holding aces.

So what it comes down to is whether you can get a heads up situation where only one player will call, or whether it's really likely that more than one will call which puts you at greater risk of busting out with nothing.

It's especially important to consider this when the bubble means something to your bankroll. If it means absolutely nothing then go ahead and just blast off with aces. If you spent 4 hours trying to make the money and haven't had the best day at the tables, then maybe consider all these other things and make a calculated decision.

jcxmendes

jcxmendes

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
On these occasions it will depend a lot on my opponents and on the information and readings I have from the table!

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
The only situation when I would consider to fold pocket AA at the bubble - will be in a satty for equally valued expensive MTT Ticket!
Otherwise, always jam (y)

pep12343

pep12343

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The only chance that I won't play my AA this time is if the tournament is a satellite and entering the prize pool would give me the same ticket as the person who goes first. Otherwise I would obviously play my AA

E

Ekuul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
It's happened a few times where I have a tier 1 hand.

Typically MTT with various cash prizes. Often on 888 people go all in with poor hands but still get lucky. By the same token, if there are still lots of other tables, someone is likely to go out every hand.

If it's a case of all prizes are equal, e.g. a ticket to the next stage, coming 16th with a ticket or getting bounced out in 17th, I'll probably fold it. In fact, a recent tourney I did fold a good hand and scrapped into the next round with a $50 ticket.

I've mainly called though and gotten bounced out. If it's various cash prizes, is it a case of bounced out now, scrapping to the prize, or having enough chips to make the prize after that. For example;

91st about 5BB. Prize is at 90th but the next increment is at say 45 players.

I suppose the other consideration is how big a prize difference it is for the next increment.

Pabloro10321

Pabloro10321

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The hand is very complicated, you should see the number of times your opponents play with what cards they have played, how many opponents they leave you out and the type of game (MB, KO) is very important in addition to the amount of the prize.
A prize that only doubles the amount invested is of no use to me I prefer to play and try to double to go for first place

E

Ekuul

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
GB
Chips
Really great points regarding bounty games.
These kinds of vague situations really don't give you any favours. It's just not that simple. You always need to take the entire situation into account.

You have AA. You're 1 player away from the bubble. You can last another 6 hands.

Ok, now the bigger questions.

What type of game is it? Is it bounty? Is it a normal game?

What is your position in the tournament? What are the stack sizes of the players most likely to get blinded out relative to your stack size? How likely is it for someone to get knocked out before you in the next 6 hands?

How many players are left to act after you at your table? What are their stack sizes like relative to yours? What is the betting action like?

You are more likely to find yourself being called off by several players especially if you are a tiny short stack and especially in a bounty game. You don't want multiway pots when holding aces.

So what it comes down to is whether you can get a heads up situation where only one player will call, or whether it's really likely that more than one will call which puts you at greater risk of busting out with nothing.

It's especially important to consider this when the bubble means something to your bankroll. If it means absolutely nothing then go ahead and just blast off with aces. If you spent 4 hours trying to make the money and haven't had the best day at the tables, then maybe consider all these other things and make a calculated decision.

hilary antonik filho

hilary antonik filho

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
What's the fun of playing with fear, I play for love and fun, I'm not worried about losing, it's a consequence of poker, someone has to win or lose

dannystanks

dannystanks

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
US
Chips
If you study push fold charts you should be going all in with more hands than just AA.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
if you also discount AA on the prebable, then clearly the game is not going according to the bankroll. if there is a push, then of course you need to call with aces)) It's a good thing that you can throw aces when you enter the hand and see the flop...

F

fundiver199

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Unless its a satellite, you should always be trilled about going all-in with AA preflop.

MK_

MK_

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
US
Chips
Well am I waiting for a better hand?, .....what's the point of "lasting 5 or 6 hands"?, what's the thought process?,

you don't mention chip stacks, tourney structure blah, blah, blah.... but assuming not a satty

hold on to your hat, we're going😎👍

makisaa

makisaa

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
It depends from what kind of game is that, what you are playing for and of course it depends from the situation, what is your stack comparing with the other opponents. Generally I would play the hand and especially if I had a big stack I would play more comfortably.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All-in. That's the best decision in the long term.

thetick33

thetick33

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
aa bubble has no decision for me...If was like a over 100 for the bubble id consider it but probably do my 3 x anyway....I did have a loss last week i 4x then guy went all in other guy called that think maybe folds if shoved? he played a 34 suited and caught str8...id hate to think a 10 dollar buy in he calls shove there instead of 4 x but you never know....So what im saying my general move here would be 3x to 4x depending blinds table image etc...

PPS reason on 3 or 4 bet is i want EVERYONE in with aa if lose i lose I will happily every time play aa vs 4 or 5 others look now i got a stack I maybe can win this thing from the bubble :) its my logic or thought pattern.... I read above but ya aa kk qq even jj 1010 99 88 I really want all in with 3 to 4 others if im on bubble and we are down to say 20 some peeps??? I want these chips could have and make a real run for top prizes which is what I focus on not on surviving....Is rare to get a jump like you could here at this timely of this exact situation so ya id hope for a bunch of play me to hit set or better and move up :)

pasha poltava

pasha poltava

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
I threw away AK, but never AA, you can’t hurt the card!

dzsire

dzsire

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
HU
Chips
If, as a small-stakes player, it was a very big tournament where you got into it after (even several) satellite tournaments, then there is a chance that you don't risk it, because you might get into the paid place, where there is already a serious prize. In other cases, it's a clear all-in.

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
i think its obvious, you dont play to make the cut, you play to win, AA is the strongest starting hand, Shove!

optikdave

optikdave

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I made the mistake in a satellite to push my AA and I busted on the bubble.

kaynbergo

kaynbergo

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
almost always, if it's 10-30 bb I'll go all in, but if it's less than 5 bb I'll likely discard my cards and wait for the prizes.

mr.fers_one

mr.fers_one

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BY
Chips
when the stack is short (less than 12bb), it will always be all in... it is clear that they can beat you on any two, because according to statistics AA loses in one of the five hands, but if you are afraid to push with aces, then it means you are not playing bankroll, or just a fool))))

S

steve01991

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
really depends on the type of player you are. If you are aggressive and plan on winning the tournament, you play them, if you are just hoping to last the bubble then you dont play and pray you make it. Me i would play aggressive!