$ NL HE MTT: Hand of the Week: J/10 Suited on The Button, UTG Min-Raise Preflop - How would you play this?

Tammy

Tammy

Can I help you?
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Game
Hold'em
Game Format
No Limit
Table Format
MTT
Freeroll
  1. Freeroll
Currency
$
Thanks to @maronza1 for his submission for our 1st Tournament Hand of the Week!

Click here to watch the replay, and comment your advice!

Here are some comments from Maronza:
"
This hand gave me a challenge on the river...my concern was about a possible full house on the board. What should i have done differently, and was my raise on the turn appropriate?

At the showdown i laughed at this hand since its @Martin favourite hand he told us about 🙂"

najisami

najisami

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
MA
Chips
Hey Ron,

I think the hand has been played correctly by both of you. The "Value" raise on the turn was perfect IMO. Martin had to call having hit a decent pair to go with his flush draw. As to the river, I don't see how you could've raised there. He took a chance and made a smart bet with his showdown value just in case, but folding that straight, to that amount was out of question. If he shows you the boat, you say "nh" and you move on.

PS: There was no question about the pre-flop play, and I kind of like it because I prefer not to go there anyway.

ratbat615

ratbat615

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
JM
Chips
Wow what a scary river. I would have played it the same. Because what hands call a 3 bet on the turn.flush draws straight draws and sets depends on the player. Some players will shove a set. And I think a full house would bet more on river. But if the villain shoved the river I would be sick.

eetenor

eetenor

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
preflop fine flop fine turn take a look at your sizing and consider what hand types continue-- if you do that you may decide to raise larger as the hand types do not change very much your V hand a perfect example.

As to the river your not getting called by worse in these game types as your V will probably fold an 8---just be glad that the other player bet what you would have bet anyway. Not the right sizing by them at all with the hand they held.

If ever you are playing in games where both players are skilled and you both can be bluffing river we would want to be thinking about what full houses play like this multiway- why would a set on the flop not raise? why would two pair not lead on turn vs the very weak flop bet and your flat. Why when you showed soo much strength on turn would a full house not lead more on river knowing you had to call your straights as they could be bluffing straight blockers and full house blockers with a hand like J9cc

That is when we can think about raising river when they have to call worse than a straight because we are bluffing J9

:unsure::geek:

Suns of Beaches

Suns of Beaches

Ripley rips it in on Replay
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would raise more on the turn, basically a bit less than pot and u can also consider raising the river to 1k+. Given that this was a freeroll where u can expect all kinds of plays and against this specific kind of action, i would raise there almost everytime. U can still fold if he 3-bets since it's expected that he will only do that with Full Houses or Quads.

Last edited:
Starting Hands - Poker Hand Nicknames Rankings - Poker Hands