WTF Happened to the Tampa Bay Lightning?

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
How on earth can you be 21 points better than the second place team in the league and getting swept out of the playoffs? They didn’t lose 3 games in a row all year and now it happens? Heads should roll if they get swept. I’m not even a fan of them but they were unstoppable in the regular season. Crazy!

T

tke001

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
That's NHL playoff hockey! #1 and 2 seeds lose in the first round all the time. In the NBA it has happened 2 or 3 times I think. Some great Red Wings teams of the 90s and other great regular season teams do this.

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Players have a different mindset in the Playoffs and the game completely changes.

A team like Columbus is going to be hungry as hell to prove that they're not a fluke team getting into the playoffs and they can hang with Tampa.

Tampa just got too comfortable thinking they were playing a weaker team.

D

DAVID KEHRER

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It happens red wings did the same thing 3 times best record and lose first round.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Tampa Bay went from first to zero in a matter of a week. Could not have thought that.

L

Lisavandervelden12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just crazy man.....they should have won more stanley cups the past ten years then 1

ACESOVEREZZZ

ACESOVEREZZZ

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Kiss of death

As noted it seems looking at NHL history winning the presidents cup for the best record is the "kiss of death". Happened to the Redwings as noted and not a surprise to me when top team in regular season is knocked out early.

Maybe they just overlooked Columbus but as we all know when the playoffs begin everyone's record is 0 - 0.. Look at what the AVS are doing as well. Certainly they were not picked to beat the Flames..

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
High flying offensive juggernauts that wrap up a Playoff spot over a month before the Season's end are pretty much doomed to failure - unless they have great goaltending and defense. Tampa did not have these. This is why they they did better in previous years when they had great goaltending and defensive responsibility on lesser offensive teams.

L

Lisavandervelden12

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
High flying offensive juggernauts that wrap up a Playoff spot over a month before the Season's end are pretty much doomed to failure - unless they have great goaltending and defense. Tampa did not have these. This is why they they did better in previous years when they had great goaltending and defensive responsibility on lesser offensive teams.

Didnt tampa have qn allstar goalie though

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Didnt tampa have qn allstar goalie though
Ooops! They sure do. I forgot about Andrei Vasilevskiy. I'm sure I looked up their stats last week and read about their great offense, amazing power play, and mediocre goaltending - I think I was dreaming (one third of the time). I was thinking about how Ben Bishop and solid defense carried them pretty deep in previous seasons. I did not watch this series, but seeing all that high priced offensive talent melting down on the highlights didn't make me feel like they were going to survive. I think the only real surprise here is the sweep - and the comeback in Game 1 that seemed to decide everything.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apparently Blue Jackets are a good source to control lightning bolts :D Amazing how a team could be so dominant offensively during the regular season and look so helpless at times. Surprising enough that they lost this early and shocking that they were swept. Columbus looked like a completely different team as if they were coasting in the regular season not even really trying and than decided to turn it up several notches once the playoffs started and that took Tampa Bay completely off guard.

ssangyongpoker

ssangyongpoker

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
sports is rigged.. plain and simple

Jammen

Jammen

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
And now Calgary is out too, messed up year for hockey playoffs. Just don’t let Toronto win!!! #anyonebuttheleafs

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Crazy both number 1 seeds went out easy

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Momentum is EVERYTHING! An adage proved by 20/20 hindsight on a daily basis.

R

Richardszabo

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Huge surprise! I think no one understands what happened. The same surprise is Colorado's victory. Farewell to Pittsburgh, i don't think it's a big surprise.

S

Steve Deeble

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still can’t believe they fell apart first round, Columbus made them look silly lol such a waste.