Will boxing every come back.

mange1234

mange1234

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Back in the day, I hung on every word about boxers and boxing.

I knew all the major champions, Mike Tyson, Muhammed Ali, etc. Now, I could not name one World Chamption.

Mike

N

Napkins420

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MMA took over, looks like boxing is dying out

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Doubt it will ever go away, but come back to anywhere close to what it was, not happening.

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no offense dude,but your knowledge in Boxing at the level of the average person who knows such names as Mike Tyson,Muhammad Ali,besides them there were other names in the history of professional Boxing such as Pernell Whitaker,Roy Jones,the legendary Sugar Ray Leonard,Sugar Ray Robinson,Joe Luis ,Rocky Marchiano,Marvin Hagler,Roberto Duran,Thomas Hearns!it's boxers from different Boxing ER,now are such outstanding boxers like Floyd Mayweather.Jr,Manny Pacquiao future members of the hall of fame,as well today will be a very interesting fight between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin,before all the great fighters, Ali, Tyson, Roy Jones.Jr, Bernard Hopkins,Sugar Ray Robinson,Leonard,Thomas Hearns they fought for the glory,but now Boxing has become a business that relates to MMA then he's really gained popularity but to Boxing news for you!!!

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I agree with mange, during the heydays of boxing, almost all division champions of all boxing associations are well known.... today, you can only name a few and most of the famous ones are not even belt holders... except maybe triple G and Canelo.

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
MMA took over, looks like boxing is dying out

This. MMA even has boxing style fighters in it. The MMA fights are just so much more entertaining because there is more than just watching two guys stand up and dodge and throw hands.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Boxing can absolutely make a comeback, all it takes is one or two fighters who combine both talent and charisma.

When you talk about guys like Ali and Tyson, you don't know about them just because they were good at boxing, it was also because they were fascinating, larger-than-life personalities.

In recent years the only guy that's really been able to pull that off is Mayweather. But when someone else comes along that has the right combination of skill and personality I'm sure they'll be popular too.

I mean just look at MMA - the UFC was doing terribly for a few years there, but then along came Ronda Rousey and Conor McGregor, and all of a sudden the UFC business was booming, everyone was talking about it.

vitalicharniak

vitalicharniak

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
For years, disputes about the dangers of boxing for the health and brain of an athlete have not ceased. This is a risky sport, but it can also be useful. In every culture in different development of mankind there was a sport similar to boxing

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
For years, disputes about the dangers of boxing for the health and brain of an athlete have not ceased. This is a risky sport, but it can also be useful. In every culture in different development of mankind there was a sport similar to boxing

This is actually an interesting point - I was speaking above purely from a promotional standpoint, but if boxing really does take a permanent dive in popularity I suspect it'll be science and societal attitudes that are behind it.

While you're absolutely right that we've had boxing or something like for probably the past 2000 years, it's only in maybe the past 5-10 years that we've really made advances understanding things like CTE.

It's become a huge issue in sports like the NFL, so I can definitely see a future where boxing, which let's face it is largely concerned with causing trauma to your opponent's brain, will be frowned upon by more and more people.

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Doubt it will ever go away, but come back to anywhere close to what it was, not happening.

This is actually an interesting point - I was speaking above purely from a promotional standpoint, but if boxing really does take a permanent dive in popularity I suspect it'll be science and societal attitudes that are behind it.

While you're absolutely right that we've had boxing or something like for probably the past 2000 years, it's only in maybe the past 5-10 years that we've really made advances understanding things like CTE.

It's become a huge issue in sports like the NFL, so I can definitely see a future where boxing, which let's face it is largely concerned with causing trauma to your opponent's brain, will be frowned upon by more and more people.

This I agree with.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips

This I agree with.

Head wear like in the Olympics or sparing will make an appearance before boxing dies, imho they should be using them now, They fight for points already, so head wear shouldn't make a difference to the sport.

But what would I know, I haven't been hit around the ring. :eek:

:)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Head wear like in the Olympics or sparing will make an appearance before boxing dies, imho they should be using them now, They fight for points already, so head wear shouldn't make a difference to the sport.

Actually, that's an interesting issue too...

You may or may not have noticed, but headgear was actually removed from men's boxing at the Olympics last year.

The reason? The latest research had found that headwear actually made the risk of brain trauma worse, not better. It makes the head a bigger, heavier target so you're liable to get hit more, and have your head flung around harder when it's hit. It's the brain being rattled around inside the skull that causes the damage, and headwear doesn't give you any more internal padding.

Interestingly the change was only made to the men's competition at the Olympics, not the women's... because the research was only done with data from men's matches. As though women's brains would react to being rattled around differently or something. Gawd people are stupid.

Anyway, wearing headwear might make you less likely to suffer, say, a broken cheekbone or a broken jaw, which is probably why you still see boxers wearing headgear in sparring sessions: they want to protect themselves from a more superficial injury that could stop them making it to their fight and getting paid. But it apparently doesn't do much to prevent concussions and CTE. In the same way that boxers don't wear gloves to protect their opponents: they wear them so they don't break their own hands when they land their punches.

The headwear thing seems counter-intuitive at first, but then look at NFL players: they wear full helmets, into which decades of research have gone, and they still get concussed all the damn time.

ulgromkii

ulgromkii

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
no offense dude,but your knowledge in Boxing at the level of the average person who knows such names as Mike Tyson,Muhammad Ali,besides them there were other names in the history of professional Boxing such as Pernell Whitaker,Roy Jones,the legendary Sugar Ray Leonard,Sugar Ray Robinson,Joe Luis ,Rocky Marchiano,Marvin Hagler,Roberto Duran,Thomas Hearns!it's boxers from different Boxing ER,now are such outstanding boxers like Floyd Mayweather.Jr,Manny Pacquiao future members of the hall of fame,as well today will be a very interesting fight between Canelo Alvarez and Gennady Golovkin,before all the great fighters, Ali, Tyson, Roy Jones.Jr, Bernard Hopkins,Sugar Ray Robinson,Leonard,Thomas Hearns they fought for the glory,but now Boxing has become a business that relates to MMA then he's really gained popularity but to Boxing news for you!!!
but what about our Russian guy excellent professional Kostya Tszyu
The best position in the Pound for Pound ranking is 3 (2004).

oriole

oriole

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

But what would I know, I haven't been hit around the ring. :eek:

:)
Headgear does more bad than good -
The results: a 43 percent reduction in concussions in bouts in which headguards weren’t worn versus bouts in which they were.In other words, Butler’s study showed a boxer was far more likely to sustain a concussion if he wore a headguard than if he did not.
It seems paradoxical, at best, but Butler said several other studies have produced similar results.
https://sports.yahoo.com/news/boxing-debate-does-wearing-headgear-000000037.html

S

Salavat Kozhakhmetov

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
but what about our Russian guy excellent professional Kostya Tszyu
The best position in the Pound for Pound ranking is 3 (2004).

Tszyu boxed for Australia,according to the greatness of his caught up with Sergey Kovalev who was in the top 3 p4p,had 3 belt world champion on the main versions,as well as Kostya Tszyu who was the ultimate champion,you have 3 belts to become the undisputed Boxing champion needed 3 belts on the main WBA,WBC.IBF now need 4 belts on the main version WBA,WBC,IBF,WBO.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Cant see it with no heavyweight division and combat sports ,it will still have some popularity but never like before

F

Fastone2

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sports in general can be rigged... To much money involved to make a betting career out of it...
Sport figures are usually egotistical and like to voice their views on politics. Most are over paid, in my opinion. I think, They are usually in sports for the money. Plus, the NWO, seem to be involved whenever they have a ssizeable audience to manipulate.
Actually, who really cares if two guys are fighting? It is easy to hurt others. Its not so easy to love....

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is definitely dying. You would need some freak of nature to dominate it and maybe it will survive. There isn't enough fighters that are known right now. MMA will probably stay above boxing.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It is definitely dying. You would need some freak of nature to dominate it and maybe it will survive. There isn't enough fighters that are known right now. MMA will probably stay above boxing.

Dunno if you've noticed, but MMA isn't exactly having a great year either.

The UFC has exactly one big draw on its books at the moment, Conor McGregor, and the only thing he's done all year is... have a boxing match.

Rousey is basically retired and nobody else is selling PPVs for them. Other organisations aren't exactly doing well either.

I stick by what I said before, one or two breakout stars in either sport could turn things around in a huge hurry.