Why did the referee not allow Denmark to reach the final of the European Championship

Was there a penalty in your opinion?

• There was a penalty.

Votes: 0 0.0%
  • Did not have.

Votes: 9 100.0%

• Total voters
Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A dubious penalty was awarded yesterday in the semi-final of the European championship. England midfielder Raheem Sterling fell on the edge of the penalty area. The situation for a goal or an assist was bad and he had no other option.
Denmark has already become the European champion in 1992. England has never won it. Was there a penalty in your opinion? And why did the referee not allow Denmark to bring the matter to a penalty shootout ?

czapa11

czapa11

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

England team is favored from the beginning of the tournament by UEFA.
They plays all their matches at home in England. They do not have to travel a large distance to play games ex. to Baku.
And even referees helped them yesterday to go throught to the final.
But not this is the worst thing. The worst thing was England's supporter who was lighting by laser to Kasper Schmeichel's eyes during penalty kick. :mad:
In my opinion it will be Final where supporters to those teams will be divided to England's supporters vs. Other World. After those all mistakes, bad behaviour and favored by UEFA to England.
Forza Italy! GL!

R

rachelle2291

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am not an expert on this game and thus I won't comment on the penalty aspect but I would like to say that from what I observed throughout the game England had the ball most of the time and were in Denmarks end a lot more than the other way around. They sure looked like the best team to me.

wrzlbrnft

wrzlbrnft

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
From the beginning UEFA was interested to see full stadiums with cheering fans, anoying any pandemic concerns and they made a lot of pressure on the hosting cities. A final in Wembley with England is much more in the interest of the UEFA than Italy vs. Denmark. Maybe there was also some pressure on the Referee to lead the match into the interests of UEFA.
Right, England has deserved to reach the final but this penalty was a complete joke and decided the match. Denmark was a fantastic defending and fighting team and also this is part of football and deserves a victory.
The real interest of UEFA, FIFA, IOC is only money, money money...

Attachments

• 20210615_233815.jpg
    20210615_233815.jpg
    779.6 KB · Views: 40
V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Because UEFA wanted England to be in the final.Denmark could have won on penalty shootouts.It was clear that it wasnt penalty.

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Denmark is partly to blame itself - after scoring a goal, it was just necessary to destroy England on the field at a pace and that's all. Denmark has proved to everyone that it can win, can score a lot and the question is: Why did they stop and start drying up the game with 1 goal scored? And then, as always, the judge came out on the main roles - he did what was required of him.

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Hello,

England team is favored from the beginning of the tournament by UEFA.
They plays all their matches at home in England. They do not have to travel a large distance to play games ex. to Baku.
And even referees helped them yesterday to go throught to the final.
But not this is the worst thing. The worst thing was England's supporter who was lighting by laser to Kasper Schmeichel's eyes during penalty kick. :mad:
In my opinion it will be Final where supporters to those teams will be divided to England's supporters vs. Other World. After those all mistakes, bad behaviour and favored by UEFA to England.
Forza Italy! GL!

I'm English and agree with absolutely all of this. Well, they've played one match in Rome - it's 2 hours away and a similar summer climate to that of England, as opposed to the long journey and searing heat of Baku, and it was a neutral ground so they've still never had to be the away team (i'd like to see how they'd have managed if they had to play, say, germany in Munich or play the final against Italy in Rome), but the worst thing is that it's given all the people who "support" them an answer when the home advantage argument is raised.
I'm listening to the final while playing in one of the cardschat games - in addition to the laser pointer incident you've mentioned, and booing the opponents anthem, these wonderful fans are also booing loudly every time the opponents are in possession. Classy or what?!

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I'm English and agree with absolutely all of this. Well, they've played one match in Rome - it's 2 hours away and a similar summer climate to that of England, as opposed to the long journey and searing heat of Baku, and it was a neutral ground so they've still never had to be the away team (i'd like to see how they'd have managed if they had to play, say, Germany in Munich or play the final against Italy in Rome), but the worst thing is that it's given all the people who "support" them an answer when the home advantage argument is raised.
I'm listening to the final while playing in one of the cardschat games - in addition to the laser pointer incident you've mentioned, and booing the opponents anthem, these wonderful fans are also booing loudly every time the opponents are in possession. Classy or what?!

Was never a penalty.

Not just that there were countless reports of England fans abusing and spitting at Danish fans even screaming at their kids. Beyond pathetic. Lax security and no police intervention.

Then the final yesterday....England fans forcing their way in without tickets displacing opposing fans from their seats etc. etc.

Culture has been deteriorating in the UK over the last several years but the pandemic seems to have brought things to a new low. There always is a level of yobbishness within the UK but some of the displays through the Euros have been bloody embarrassing.

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
Anyway, congratulations to Denmark!

I think that they have a team of some very talented players.

We will see....

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Was never a penalty.

Not just that there were countless reports of England fans abusing and spitting at Danish fans even screaming at their kids. Beyond pathetic. Lax security and no police intervention.

I didn't know about that, although I had been avoiding the news all last week!

And I didn't know about the trouble outside/in the ground until well after the game either. BBC radio did their best to play it down. The only mention of it at all was when the commentator said it would be a shame if any fans with tickets weren't in their seats for England's goal and said something vague about there being "issues outside Wembley", so I just thought there'd been an I.T. problem - a glitch with the ticket scanners or something!

Anyway, was good to see the England players showing the viewing public what petulant spoiled brats they were by taking off their runners up medals in front of the person who'd just handed it to them. I guess they're not so proud to have reached the final after all.

rafcio20p

rafcio20p

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
First, there was a tragedy in the first match, and then the judge also failed. Denmark played great at this championship. It was nice to watch them.

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
sorry, I've used this thread to rant about England ha ha!
Yeah, Denmark surprised everyone in '92 and nearly did it again. And can be doubly proud the way they overcame adversity after what happened in the 1st game, which kinda puts football in to perspective

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The referee played this match. Because in such matches, a penalty for such a foul is not given. It's good that England was not lucky in the final as it was with Denmark)

skaniol

skaniol

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
It boggles my mind how this "controversial" situation resulted in a penalty, considering the repeated offenses by Sterling, the existence of VAR, and the stage of the game/tournament (any penalty would have decided the finalist at this point). Even if it was a penalty, I still wouldn't give it to Sterling, who was diving all the time, just like the villagers didn't believe The Boy Who Cried Wolf.

It's a shame, because Sterling is a very capable player and he doesn't need such antics. Regardless of how good a player is, I lose all respect for divers as soon as I see them diving. I needed to watch only this one game vs Denmark to recognize Sterling as a blatant diver. As expected, one could easily find enough evidence to remove any doubts:

IMHO, the habitual proven divers should never be given a penalty, as a penalty. I don't care if this would cause the end of their football careers. They should know better. This game is becoming a joke with all the divers around.

B

Belgiumburnley

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Bigger" teams tend to usually get the big decisions from the referee in their favor. It's unfair unless you support one of them !