What did you think about the events and atmosphere during the Olympic Games in Rio?

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Friends,

I am very proud about everything that my city (Rio de Janeiro) delivered during the Olympic Games Rio2016 and the emotion, quality of the Arenas, general environment for athletes and for the local and foreign people that came to watch the events and games!!

I had the great opportunity and privilege to go to the Olympic Park very close to my house and enter in all the venues of Rio2016 during 13 of the 16 days of the Olympic Games here and I have watched live inside these several venues 14 different sports among the total of 35 and any of them were special and great for me!!

And I hope that all the friends of CC who appreciate sports and that watched by TV in your countries have also liked and enjoyed this magic Olympic Games here in Rio!

What did you think about all the events and about the special atmosphere created during the Olympic Games in Rio? I hope that the image of my city and country have improved and that now more and more people want to visit Rio in the upcoming years!!:) ;)

Best regards,
MarceloMC

AleksGotus

AleksGotus

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I watched TV only at night. I liked the football brazil champion is good. Watched track Cycling, basketball. It was all I could see - I work and the reports we have tonight! About the city, almost nothing has shown in addition to the bike trails where the crashed riders.
In Rio to go for me too expensive - we have to live in another country and earn big money!
Maybe I Can win the tournament!
why not?

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Still think that developing countries shouldn't host a sports event like the olympics.

Excuse my language, but **** the image of Rio or Brazil to the world's eyes, there are real issues in this country and they spend money, time and effort with this BS, same thing the World Cup.

Now it is time to pay the ****ing bill.

papi1207

papi1207

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
during the olympic games we sow just little out of the arenas, and the most of that news was bad, criminal and insecurity in the city, zika virus, dirtyness around the city.....
hope that games will improve life in the city because now you must pay big bill of cost of the games and that will be no easy :)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I saw very little of it - not particularly interested in it AND it's was a bad timezone for watching in Australia this year.

That said, the overriding impression I got from what I did see was a lot of empty seats in the stands. Ticket sales obviously struggled very badly. Which kind of goes to the point below... but we'll come back to that.

Oh, and that diving pool turning green. That was some amateur-hour business that didn't look good at all.

Aside from that there was obviously a heap of bad publicity for the country in the leadup: the corruption and political problems, crime, pollution, it was all put front and centre for the world to see before the games. During the games themselves all we really saw was sunshine and gold medals, of course. But those bad impressions will still stay with people.

Still think that developing countries shouldn't host a sports event like the olympics.

Excuse my language, but **** the image of Rio or Brazil to the world's eyes, there are real issues in this country and they spend money, time and effort with this BS, same thing the World Cup.

I've got a slightly different perspective, but in broad strokes I kind of agree with what you're saying.

The image of Rio and Brazil coming out of the games is important: probably the most important thing actually. Pretty much all countries who take the Olympics these days do so knowing they'll lose money during the games themselves, but they're hoping it will effectively work as a two-week long worldwide commercial for tourism to the country.

Most of those countries, of course, are being conned. There's no way they'll ever recoup the money it costs to run the games these days - and if Rio couldn't even get bums on seats in the stands during the games it almost certainly won't work out for them in the long run either, especially with the bad publicity in the leadup.

So yes I agree, it's a terrible waste of money for a developing nation (or hell ANY nation) to put their hand up to host the games in their current format. Like FIFA with the World Cup soccer, I think the IOC probably needs to be gutted to clear out all the corruption and over-spending - the John Oliver segment about the IOC's ridiculous list of demands for host nations is particularly enlightening in that regard.

The one upside I can see is that countries finally seem to be saying enough is enough - the 2022 winter games came down to either China or Khazakstan because very other sensible country withdrew their bid. Boston withdrew its bid for 2024 because the public didn't want that mess anywhere near their town.

If enough cities keep turning them down, hopefully they'll change the model to something that's more economical and reasonable for the host countries.

And that's before we even get started on them, y'know, paying the athletes...

P

PW300

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I enjoyed watching the Olympics as GB achieved their greatest ever medal haul. However, it looked as though the ticket sales for a lot of the events was really poor as the arenas were only half full.

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Most of the large Arenas where I went to watch matches were almost full mainly in the top stages of Quarter-finals, Semi-Finals and Finals (Beach Volley, Soccer, Volley, Basket, Tennis, HandBall, Swimming) and the Olympic Park was full on all the days...

Maybe some colleagues here who made some bad comments maybe are really not aware about what really happend here and that the bills are already paid and most of the arenas were covered in its largest part by the sponsors and private money and some public money besides tickets sales, etc (and generated several jobs during the constructions and also money from the tourism during the games besides the legacy with the improvemente of the public transportation and new sport venues, etc) and possibly these colleagues do not like sports and/or live in countries which are or lived bad wars or with economic problems as well or even live in countries where the TV ussually do not transmit almost nothing about sports did not enjoy the Olympic Games here but when the athletes from their country returns and provide reports about their experience here will change the mind of the colleagues here...

But any comments even the bad ones are welcome jut to allow me to understand how the information (real or not) arrived in some far countries...

Ps: GB has shown that the Olympics in London and all the investments generated a good sportive legacy since 2012 with their best results ever appearing now...

I enjoyed watching the Olympics as GB achieved their greatest ever medal haul. However, it looked as though the ticket sales for a lot of the events was really poor as the arenas were only half full.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Most of the large Arenas where I went to watch matches were almost full mainly in the top stages of Quarter-finals, Semi-Finals and Finals (Beach Volley, Soccer, Volley, Basket, Tennis, HandBall, Swimming) and the Olympic Park was full on all the days...

Maybe some colleagues here who made some bad comments maybe are really not aware about what really happend here and that the bills are already paid and most of the arenas were covered in its largest part by the sponsors and private money and some public money besides tickets sales, etc (and generated several jobs during the constructions and also money from the tourism during the games besides the legacy with the improvemente of the public transportation and new sport venues, etc) and possibly these colleagues do not like sports and/or live in countries which are or lived bad wars or with economic problems as well or even live in countries where the TV ussually do not transmit almost nothing about sports did not enjoy the Olympic Games here but when the athletes from their country returns and provide reports about their experience here will change the mind of the colleagues here...

But any comments even the bad ones are welcome jut to allow me to understand how the information (real or not) arrived in some far countries...

Ps: GB has shown that the Olympics in London and all the investments generated a good sportive legacy since 2012 with their best results ever appearing now...

Dude, I`m from Brazil as well.

You cannot compare London with Rio.
Look what happened to Grecce after hosting the olympic games.

A developing country like Brazil has more important issues than worrying about its image.

A perfect metaphor is the wall they built to hide the favelas from tourists sight.

You don't need to host the WC or the OG to build infrastructure or improve the public transportation.

Rio and every other brazilian city is controlled by drug dealers and you wonder what gringos think about Brazil..

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips

The main athletics stadium definitely wasn't full any of the times I saw it on TV

As for Great Britain's improved medal count, that's got very little to do with them hosting the previous games, and a lot more to do with them plowing a lot more money into their athlete training and development programs.

There's probably a lot of simple chance and variance in there too. Australia spent large sums of money on athlete development for these games and we had our worst result since Barcelona in 1992...

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey LOL,

From which city in Brazil you are and do you live here or abroad?
I am not sure about what level of info you have read regarding the details of the Olympics here in Rio and most of the people who live in Rio and all the people who came to watch and participate have a different view and feelings about the results, etc...

And certainly the Olympics in Rio will not solve the economic situation here and in Brazil as a whole and the purpose of the Olympics and World Cup is not this... But certainly the legacy for Rio is huge in terms of trasportation and improvements in several areas that were in bad conditions (the downtown Rio that was abandoned and now is pretty nice place to visit besides other areas in the city - Barra and Deodoro besides the improvement in the local airports, new top sportive arenas to develop some Olympic sports in Rio and Brazil, etc) and the researchs with tourists that came to watch showed a high level of satisfaction from them after the games...

So despite the Olympics is not the full or definitive solution for a good portion of the local problems here but at least it showed a great success for the public who had the privilege to be here and watch the games in the arenas (as I had) and a good legacy for the local people as well...

The only people who can tell bad things are the ones who did not had a close contact with the games here and did not access detailed information or watched the main events here but as I told before bad or good comments are always welcome to understand the different perspectives mainly from people abroad that not had a close experience and contact with the events here...

Dude, I`m from Brazil as well.

You cannot compare London with Rio.
Look what happened to Grecce after hosting the olympic games.

A developing country like Brazil has more important issues than worrying about its image.

A perfect metaphor is the wall they built to hide the favelas from tourists sight.

You don't need to host the WC or the OG to build infrastructure or improve the public transportation.

Rio and every other brazilian city is controlled by drug dealers and you wonder what gringos think about Brazil..

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Take a better look in the reports written by the main GB magazines and newspapers about comments over their great results in Rio2016 and how they explain it as they had won only 1 gold 4 olympic games ago and now 28 golds besides several silver medals... The same happened with China since 2008...

The main athletics stadium definitely wasn't full any of the times I saw it on TV

As for Great Britain's improved medal count, that's got very little to do with them hosting the previous games, and a lot more to do with them plowing a lot more money into their athlete training and development programs.

There's probably a lot of simple chance and variance in there too. Australia spent large sums of money on athlete development for these games and we had our worst result since Barcelona in 1992...

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The only people who can tell bad things are the ones who did not had a close contact with the games here and did not access detailed information or watched the main events here but as I told before bad or good comments are always welcome to understand the different perspectives mainly from people abroad that not had a close experience and contact with the events here...

Dude, I'm sorry but that's just nonsense.

You are telling me that I can only say something if I went there to watch the games. That's absurd.

You are the one asking what people thought about the games.

I get that you are very proud of your city but you should see things beyond your bubble and not buy everything that brazilian politicians say about the games.

Rio is a mess, a super violent city controlled by drug lords.

The city administration built a wall to cover Favelas so tourist coudn't see it

Rio

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Take a better look in the reports written by the main GB magazines and newspapers about comments over their great results in Rio2016 and how they explain it as they had won only 1 gold 4 olympic games ago and now 28 golds besides several silver medals... The same happened with China since 2008...

OK now I'm just not sure I'm following... are you arguing that hosting an Olympic games improves a nation's medal count in the following years? Because there's absolutely zero evidence of that. And aside from that, as you can see below, your medal numbers aren't right.

I only bothered to go back as far as South Korea and the 1988 Olympics, but here's the host nation's results in their host year, and at the following games:

South Korea: 12 gold / 33 total medals in 1988. 12 gold / 29 total medals in 1992
Spain: 13 gold / 22 total medals in 1992. 5 gold / 17 total medals in 1996
United States: 44 gold / 101 total medals in 1996. 37 gold / 93 total medals in 2000
Australia: 16 gold / 58 total medals in 2000. 17 gold / 50 total medals in 2004
Greece: 6 gold / 16 total medals in 2004. 0 gold / 4 total medals in 2008
China: 51 gold / 100 total medals in 2008. 38 gold / 88 total medals in 2012
Great Britain: 29 gold / 65 total medals in 2012. 27 gold / 67 total medals in 2016

You could argue that the medal totals are inflated above expectation for the host nation because there's a pretty strong correlation between hosting the games and improving your medal tally for that one year (for a range of reasons - including being able to enter more athletes because travel costs are lower, familiarity with the local courses, and home crowd).

But as you can see above, there's no real proof in this sample that countries perform better at the Olympics after they've hosted. Spain, Australia and Great Britain were pretty close to break even the following year and all the other countries declined.

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just tell me from which super and perfect city (?!?) without any type of crime and/or problem you are? I am really curious...

By the way just tell me about any incident happening during Rio2016...Just do not tell something like Ryan Lotche did and get a " bad fame" like him ...lol

Dude, I'm sorry but that's just nonsense.

You are telling me that I can only say something if I went there to watch the games. That's absurd.

You are the one asking what people thought about the games.

I get that you are very proud of your city but you should see things beyond your bubble and not buy everything that brazilian politicians say about the games.

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only it is missing the statistics about the number of medals in the previous Olympics before those countries had hosted...In the case of UK and China they even had finished among the top 5 in the leaderboard before...

But it is OK if you assume and/or consider that there is no benefit and legacy (sportive or for the infrastructure) for the country and mainly of the host city...

OK now I'm just not sure I'm following... are you arguing that hosting an Olympic games improves a nation's medal count in the following years? Because there's absolutely zero evidence of that. And aside from that, as you can see below, your medal numbers aren't right.

I only bothered to go back as far as South Korea and the 1988 Olympics, but here's the host nation's results in their host year, and at the following games:

South Korea: 12 gold / 33 total medals in 1988. 12 gold / 29 total medals in 1992
Spain: 13 gold / 22 total medals in 1992. 5 gold / 17 total medals in 1996
United States: 44 gold / 101 total medals in 1996. 37 gold / 93 total medals in 2000
Australia: 16 gold / 58 total medals in 2000. 17 gold / 50 total medals in 2004
Greece: 6 gold / 16 total medals in 2004. 0 gold / 4 total medals in 2008
China: 51 gold / 100 total medals in 2008. 38 gold / 88 total medals in 2012
Great Britain: 29 gold / 65 total medals in 2012. 27 gold / 67 total medals in 2016

You could argue that the medal totals are inflated above expectation for the host nation because there's a pretty strong correlation between hosting the games and improving your medal tally for that one year (for a range of reasons - including being able to enter more athletes because travel costs are lower, familiarity with the local courses, and home crowd).

But as you can see above, there's no real proof in this sample that countries perform better at the Olympics after they've hosted. Spain, Australia and Great Britain were pretty close to break even the following year and all the other countries declined.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Only it is missing the statistics about the number of medals in the previous Olympics before those countries had hosted...In the case of UK and China they even had finished among the top 5 in the leaderboard before...

But it is OK if you assume and/or consider that there is no benefit and legacy (sportive or for the infrastructure) for the country and mainly of the host city...

If you want to argue that raw medal counts improve in the year a nation hosts the Olympics compared to their performance at the previous Olympics then sure, that's a thing you can back up. Here's the more detailed analysis if you're interested:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/is-there-home-field-advantage-at-the-olympics/

There's a pretty straightforward reason for that increase in the year a country hosts the games BTW: it's because (as the article above notes) they get to enter a lot more athletes than they would at any other games. The host nation is guaranteed an entry in every team sport, and qualification requirements are significantly lowered for home country athletes in individual disciplines. Travel costs are also lower, reducing barriers to participation. It's a simple numbers game.

Brazil had 481 athletes competing this year, for example. They only had 248 competing in 2012.

And that's why it's not sustainable, or reasonable, to expect that a host nation will continue to enjoy the same success in the years after they host the Games.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
By the way just tell me about any incident happening during Rio2016...Just do not tell something like Ryan Lotche did and get a " bad fame" like him ...lol

Captura de Tela 2016 09 03 as 150952

Captura de Tela 2016 09 03 as 151126

Captura de Tela 2016 09 03 as 151140

Captura de Tela 2016 09 03 as 151152

Captura de Tela 2016 09 03 as 151202

MarceloMC

MarceloMC

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Donk,

You just showed that in any large event with thousands of people in a large city faces problems...

I have several friends that were already assalted in NY, Paris, London, etc...
You think that crimes happens only in RIO? From which place you are and in which World you live?? By the way I live here in Rio more than 40 years and never suffered any problem but lived in SP for 3 years working and was robbered twice there...

You just showed here that you hate Rio so much that you made a huge research ans lost your time just to find all the bad reports that you could seacrh about Rio (by the way we always can find anything bad in the internet any time about any thing...) probably because you never had the great opportunity of your life to visit or even live here and enjoy the marvelous city...
Possibly you msut live in any very small and boring city in the interior that never will host any good thing that you can watch live in person and that is why you are so envy about Rio...lol

hutzpaf

hutzpaf

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The behaviour of Brazilian fans also caused concern.
For example, French pole vault star Renaud Lavillenie was booed during competition and on the podium when he took silver behind Brazil's Thiago Braz da Silva.

Paralympics funds cut !!

Low ticket sales, overrun costs, a Brazilian recession and a decision to bolster security in the wake of international terror attacks have forced severe budget cuts on the Rio Paralympic Games. Without funds from the organizing committee, which would help national Paralympic organizations with costs such as travel and uniforms, whole countries may not be able to compete in the Games, which are set to start on Sept. 7.

antonis32123

antonis32123

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
The image of the games that was trasmitted through our TVs generally was moderate .
The sea was very polluted athletes were very annoyed by this .That diving pool turning green.WTF was that? the apartments where the athletes had to live were having problems (with the electrical installations and other ) .

But these are bull s*** .

The main problem are the thefts which was a daily fainomeno , the violence , the poverty .
We (Greece) also hosted the Olympics ,we gave money for the games instead of other areas where it would benefit greeks more , to have more jobs and a better life ,since then our national debt grew much more , we have many more problems, more violence ,less jobs (the jobs lasted untill the games ended):mad:

so I have the same opinion as lol_donkaments , who said :

Last edited:
KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I almost feel bad for you, buddy.

You believe that the world sees Rio and Brazil in a different way now because the country hosted the olympics.

And when u get a reality check from people around the world, not just me, you go nuts and think the entire planet is wrong.

For every criticism you face, you use ad hominem.

"No, no. You weren't here watching the games."
"You come from this country, or this city, no, no, cannot say anything about my city"

You are expecting someone saying nice things about Rio and when it doesn't happen you act like a spoiled brat you are.

How pathetic.

The image of Brazil: cariocas booing the french athlete twice.
That's how you roll.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
you made a huge research ans lost your time just to find all the bad reports that you could seacrh about Rio

1) google.com
2) type Rio Olympics Crime
3) make a carioca butthurt

Top 10 Games