emk211

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
The definition of sportsmanship is as follows:

https://www.google.com.br/search?cl...portsmanship&sourceid=opera&ie=UTF-8&oe=UTF-8

Sportsmanship is defined as ethical, appropriate, polite and fair behavior while participating in a game or athletic event. When a basketball player plays by the rules, is fair to his opponent and is gracious when he loses, this is an example of sportsmanship.

There are not many athletes out there today or coaches for that manner that display the type of behavior that I want my child to emulate, how about you?

Hit a home run, put your head down and run the bases, don't showboat and glare at the opposing pitcher you just demolished.

Score a touchdown, hand the ball to the referee, don't spike it at your opponents feet and do a stupid dance.

Knock down a game winning shot at the buzzer, shake hands with the opposing team, don't run around acting like you just solved world peace.

There are plenty of other examples to express proper etiquette in sports for many situations, but these were the glaring ones to me. Other sports like tennis, soccer, golf, etc. all have their own silly celebrations to gnaw on.

If I am a coach, these are the words I tell my players, "Act the way you can be proud of, in victory or defeat. Treat the opposing team with respect the way you want to be treated."

kidmeister

kidmeister

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
With sports being big money and prestige these days it's hard to find acts of Sportmanship these days! I'm a big footbal (soccer ) fan and the last I remember was Paolo Di Canio stopping play for someone to get treatment! I remeber him getting a special trophy off FIFA for doing it.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There are ways to celebrate without being a jerk though, and I don't think we should be discouraging them or calling them "bad sportsmanship".

Sports would be boring if everyone just politely got about their business all the time.

Also teaching your kids good sportsmanship is pretty easy - in fact you can do it in four words. Just tell them "don't be Nick Kyrgios" :p

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars