UFC,MMA

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
all sport

How competitive has become a business and has ceased to be a fight, the best of the best? Contract matches, bought by judges, athletes, is it just a show now?

Last edited:
Stevan

Stevan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think it's only a show now. I mean, people still fight. We're not talking about WWE. They have to make a show before big matches, it was like that in a boxing too, just on lower level. People want to see other people hit each other like crazy and watch it. It's always gonna be like that.

Shishkin30

Shishkin30

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At such a time we live! Now everything around you can buy and bribe! And the strongest doesn't always win ((((

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How competitive has become a business and has ceased to be a fight, the best of the best? Contract matches, bought by judges, athletes, is it just a show now?

You're talking about the same UFC that was conceived all those years ago specifically to showcase the Gracie family and their brand of jiujitsu, right? Having the best fight the best has never been the point - its first and often only real goal has been to make money for the people in control of it.

nop9gok

nop9gok

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You're talking about the same UFC that was conceived all those years ago specifically to showcase the Gracie family and their brand of jiujitsu, right? Having the best fight the best has never been the point - its first and often only real goal has been to make money for the people in control of it.

I agree, the goal is to make money, make a show, it turns out I am naive when I think that sport is a competition and not just a business. Thanks for the answer, you wrote it right. sorry for my English

poliaris747

poliaris747

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, all sports, with the penetration of business in them were not very interesting! Money kills honest sport!

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
UFC became a novel, chapter 229 already. I don´t like it anymore...

BOLSONARO PRESIDENT OF brazil !

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes, all sports, with the penetration of business in them were not very interesting! Money kills honest sport!

I don't think that necessarily has to be the case - take salary-capped team sports, for example. But it's pretty much always going to be the case with combat sports, especially while they continue to rely on the PPV business model.

As an aside, I think Conor (to a certain extent, anyway) is actually an exception to that rule. A Conor fight will do a million plus buys regardless of who he steps into the cage with - he could take softballs every time and still make his money. And the UFC absolutely handed him some softballs in the early days. But ever since he's started fighting for belts he's only really been in there with the best of the best. Mendes (short notice and a baaaaaad style matchup for him), Aldo, Diaz twice (maybe he didn't know it'd be such a tough fight the first time, but he did the second), Alvarez (probably the easiest matchup for him of this bunch - but he was champ at the time), Mayweather and now Khabib. You can say a lot of stuff about McGregor, but I don't think you can accuse him of taking easy fights any time recently...

ammje

ammje

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not because when they talk about MMA UFC think that's all, there are other very good companies like Bellator, PLF, rizing, and onefight.
It is the fastest growing sport in the world, but when it comes to money, contracts etc, this down other sports like box.

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It's all for show and money of course, there are those people who have honor, but it anyway without saying who is good and who deserves to win, and the same with football, but here is definitely in my opinion everything is shtou ..

prw18

prw18

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Well, the better the draw of the main event the more money the company and the fighters make, if that fighter is getting PPV points that is.

As for buying judges, that just doesn't happen in the UFC, Bellator, or any other reputable MMA promotion. Whoever wins, wins. Half the fights don't even go to the judges anyway. I think you're mixing your thoughts about boxing, where buying judges happens very often, with MMA. Back in the late 1990's and early 2000's there was a Japanese promotion ran by the Yakuza named Pride. They were accused of paying fighters to throw fights but in the UFC I have only ever heard of that happening once and it wasn't the UFC paying the fighter, it was a mafia of some sort. That fighter ended up being cut and he served time in jail for it.

m0t22

m0t22

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
What will be the next event and where?

theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well, the better the draw of the main event the more money the company and the fighters make, if that fighter is getting PPV points that is.

As for buying judges, that just doesn't happen in the UFC, Bellator, or any other reputable MMA promotion. Whoever wins, wins. Half the fights don't even go to the judges anyway. I think you're mixing your thoughts about boxing, where buying judges happens very often, with MMA. Back in the late 1990's and early 2000's there was a Japanese promotion ran by the Yakuza named Pride. They were accused of paying fighters to throw fights but in the UFC I have only ever heard of that happening once and it wasn't the UFC paying the fighter, it was a mafia of some sort. That fighter ended up being cut and he served time in jail for it.

I agree, I don't think there is widespread corruption with the exception of some Brazilian judges that simply give the home fighters the nod in every close round.

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
connor is built to make the sport money hes entertaining yes he backs it up in the ring most times

bruno13xs

bruno13xs

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Today everything turns around money. but I do not think the ufc is a purchased fight

A

Aca0012

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
MacGregor is unique in this sport and no one can match it, aside from what Nurmagomedov got to him, he is still special in every sense to say. A steam engine and someone who created nothing from anything and millions of dollars. MMA is currently in big expansion.

S

SlowRollAA

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

I agree, once the big money rolls in they use what ever means necessary to garner viewers that would most likely not watch to be interested with negative drama..soap opera type junk.

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes, this is a good sport now, I like this sport! There you can put money through bookmakers! If you understand the fighters!

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
ufc 230 tonight easy money bet the dc/lewis fight not to go the distance and souza over wieldman

Kluchtzanger

Kluchtzanger

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I once read this one thing by Mike Tyson,
Back in the days, Mike Tyson was a killer in the fight game.
Nowadays the fighters are just businessman.
If you think about it... A lot has to do with money nowadays, look at Floyd Mayweather, possibly coming back from retirement once again, just for the money.

M

Muzyka1996

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This kind of struggle with every year is gaining polarity, for years I did not even have an idea of this organization, now I am happy to see fighting

IlyaSavinov

IlyaSavinov

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes ... This show, half of the title battles bought.. This is a business:)

jus7_play3r

jus7_play3r

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Everything is done for money! For much money that we can hardly imagine them: D it is a show, then it became a strength and skills!