IS TENNIS A FIXED SPORT

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
A lot of pros are comein out that they have been approached to fix a game and tennis is a game that u can bet on in Europe and abroad. So what do yahall think aboot that asks Playful:eek:

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All that money and they still have to cheat what gives asks Playful

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have a hard time believing that the richest of the tennis world would agree to do any business with criminals. But go down the ladder of the money trail and I'm sure you'll find some guys that would fit that bill.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I'm sure people get approached about match fixing in all kinds of sports. And while the top tier of tennis players certainly make more than enough money not to have to worry about stuff like this, there are others who are just scraping by playing on the tour and could probably use the extra cash.

That said, there's a strong argument that the betting data alone cited by Buzzfeed isn't enough to prove match fixing:

http://fivethirtyeight.com/features/why-betting-data-alone-cant-identify-match-fixers-in-tennis/

Follow the links and they'll show with a reasonable degree of certainty that Lleyton Hewitt was one of the players identified as a potential match fixer, and that examining the individual matches in question shows there were much more likely explanations than match fixing in every case.