emk211

emk211

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
In every sport there is this need to determine who is the GOAT, Greatest Of All Time, and I am sick of it. They can not say who the greatest player, is in any sport, of ALL TIME.

It can not be done, so let me just end that silly debate for ALL TIME.

ALL TIME has not happened, yet, for time as we know it is infinite.

Can someone be the greatest of the NOW. yes, because NOW has happened.

We can call them the greatest player of NOW.

When they were calling Jack Nicklaus the greatest of all time, he was the greatest of his generation, perhaps, but does anyone really think he is still the greatest golfer that ever played? Not me, NOW Tiger Woods is. Before Jack there were other golfers that held that title and they too are no longer the Greatest Of All Time.

Michael Jordan is the greatest basketball player I ever watched play the game, and that is a very long list, Kareem, Wilt, Oscar, Magic, Kobe, Lebron, Bird, Maravich, West, the list is too much to include here, but of all the players I ever watched MJ is the greatest of NOW.

It would take a monumental career to change that opinion for me, LJ has the longevity to be considered, but not the career, he has been consistent, but not the greatest player ever, he does not have the same pedigree. He is a totally different player than MJ. He does some things that are similar, but overall, I have watched both careers and LBJ does not get close to MJ.

I could offer more statistics, but the fact is no player can be considered the GOAT, they can be a goat, which LBJ has been (Mavericks), MJ did not win by himself, but he did 70% of the heavy lifting (and motivating) without a real center and he took average players and made them better. Every game the focus was on stopping MJ. None of the other players in the league demanded the same attention from the defense, none of the other players could dominate the way he did, at the size he was, 6'6", average size for NBA standards, and yet he was human, sometimes he missed a shot, sometimes he lost a game, but there is not a single player, Yet, that would convince me they have the same determination and desire to win every time they stepped onto a court to play.

Again, there is no such thing as a GOAT of any sport, merely the NOW will have to suffice, every sport would have to end for there to be an ALL TIME. Even then you can not compare eras, the games have all changed, rules, sizes, racially, there are some players out there that never had the chance that could very well be the greatest of all time, but are not even considered.

I never saw every player from every sport, but I know who are considered the greats, and none of them could be given the title of the greatest, Babe Ruth, Gretsky, Walter Payton....

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
"...It would take a monumental career to change that opinion for me..."
so basically you will never change your opinion about MJ being the greatest. You wanna a absurd amount of time to change your opinions, that's why you're sick of GOAT debate. maybe in 20 years ahead you change
"...I could offer more statistics, but the fact is no player can be considered the GOAT..." not even MJ!

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
"...I could offer more statistics, but the fact is no player can be considered the GOAT..." not even MJ!
This doesn't even make any sense. How could no player be considered the greatest player of all time? I could personally care less who it is but someone has to be the best to ever play the game.

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
This doesn't even make any sense. How could no player be considered the greatest player of all time? I could personally care less who it is but someone has to be the best to ever play the game.

this is not my phrase! is the phrase of emk211! LOL

look the quotation marks!!!!

answer him, not me!

Ice Wolf

Ice Wolf

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
this is not my phrase! is the phrase of emk211! LOL

look the quotation marks!!!!

answer him, not me!
Your right, I apologize. His stuff was just so all over the place I quit reading.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Yes it’s brutal enjoy them for what they are in the time they played

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Even taking it to mean "the greatest to date" (TGDG doesn't have the same ring as GOAT does it?!), it still can't be done because a player can only be the best in their own era. Rule changes, advances in technology, expansion of the competition etc means it's unfair to judge a current player against a historical one.

Luan

Luan

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
in my opinion and in Pelé and in the greatest history of football

Mj is the greatest in basketball history in my opinion

Guga is the greatest in tennis history and Nadal too

surf: medina and one of the best today

at ufc: José aldo, Anderson silva Jon Jhonny and one of the best in history in the world of mma

the other sports I can't say why I don't follow!

P

pintib

Enthusiast
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I think GOAT implies "Greatest Of All Time (until now)". But GOATUN isn't that catchy.