Reviewable penalties in the NFL

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So there's been a lot of heat in the NFL over these past weeks for the horrific Final Minutes of the Saints/Rams game. With that the NFL is rumored to be coming to an agreement about making penalties/what could be Penalties Reviewable. What are your views on this subject at hand? Pro/Cons?

Personally , I'm all for it. These past 3 seasons have been terrible with flags that should have never been thrown or flags that should have been thrown. Obviously by doing so would make the games last even longer but in the end it would help keep stuff like what happened in the rams/saints game from being a continued issue. I think it would keep the Refs on their toes a little more because they obviously don't what to look like shit on a blown call (even though they do already HA). I would like to see what their ruling will be on this subject but of course its only in the rumor mill right now. So again , what are your views on this subject matter

ChickenArise

ChickenArise

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The NFL needs this badly if it is to be taken seriously in the future. If it fails to make this change it is embracing the ambiguity of its rules and the state of the game.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
My opinion is introducing a system where PI and Holding is reviewable will make the game unwatchable. NFL announcing they will consider it is all a PR stunt.

They cannot make these PI calls reviewable. It is a judgement call. While the one in NFC championship was blatant and obvious in most cases they are not. DB's and WR's are always fighting for position it is sometimes impossible to tell who initiated contact when you slow it down.

The fear is if they make PI revieawble teams will try to take advantage it the refs will no longer make any calls on field but rely heavily on replays, the game will be very longer and defending a WR will become impossible. Many of the WR sell calls now they will have even more incentive to flop now.

Tough couple of week for New Orleans fan they loose a heart burner on a horrible missed call now their basketball superstar no longer wants to be there.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
the refs in that game were a terrible joke. Yes there should be reviews in cases like this. They are massive calls that effect a lot of people,teams punters etc. Review YES

123cards321

123cards321

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
NFL

Agree they should implement this, anything that makes the game more fair and that stops corruption or intended help to any team for any reason is better for all the games. It is crazy to see things like saints/rams game or in soccer where you have seen similar stuff plenty of times and finally they are implementing VAR technology.

People nowadays are fighting for peace and equality more and more and this is great!

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think at the very least making them challengeable would be a good move: it's on the coach to decide whether they want to challenge or not, and there's consequences if they're wrong about it.

If the no-call in the Saints-Rams game was challengeable, Sean Payton is throwing that flag 100 times out of 100, we'd have ended up with the correct call, and nobody's even talking about this.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pass interferences should be allowed to be challenged and reviewed

F

FrothyGoodness

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion is introducing a system where PI and Holding is reviewable will make the game unwatchable. NFL announcing they will consider it is all a PR stunt.

They cannot make these PI calls reviewable. It is a judgement call. While the one in NFC championship was blatant and obvious in most cases they are not. DB's and WR's are always fighting for position it is sometimes impossible to tell who initiated contact when you slow it down.

The fear is if they make PI revieawble teams will try to take advantage it the refs will no longer make any calls on field but rely heavily on replays, the game will be very longer and defending a WR will become impossible. Many of the WR sell calls now they will have even more incentive to flop now.

Tough couple of week for New Orleans fan they loose a heart burner on a horrible missed call now their basketball superstar no longer wants to be there.

It is definitely a PR stunt but in they end they will put something into play whether it be this season or next season. Right now they are just trying to soften the mood ...naturally but I think within the next 3 years you'll see replays being implemented. I mean look what they did with the overtime rules after people constantly complained about kicking a field goal shouldn't end overtime.

JBGoode

JBGoode

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree, it needs to be an upstairs call.... dont give the power to the coaches or it will be used on every 3rd down for something dumb like holding.... and I would even go as far enough to say, make it within the last 2 Min of the half or the game too.