Recommend a Sports Book

Rincewind

Rincewind

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is something fascinating about the mindset of elite level competitors. Even with those who compete in sports I have little interest in, I love to read their stories of dedication, their success and failures and sometimes the dark places in the minds of people obsessed with achieving their sporting goals.

Here are some of my favourite sports books:

''Open'' by Andre Aggasi

Probably the best sports book I have ever read. Aggasi's account of his childhood with a domineering tennis-obsessed father has to be read to be believed. His upbringing left him a very troubled but unbelievably driven young man. His stories of the rivalries he developed with other big name pro's of the era are fascinating. His deep and sometimes dark desire to win in a sport he truly hated beyond words, drove him to ruin his body in his later playing years.

''A Rough Ride'' by Paul Kimmage

Paul Kimmage could probably be best described as a ''journeyman'' cyclist of the 1980's. Kimmage enjoyed very limited success on the pro circuit but his book details the extreme lengths that cyclists at the time were willing to go to in order to win. Later, as a journalist Kimmage was one of the first people to openly accuse Lance Armstrong of doping when the rest of the cycling world was too scared to say anything about it.

''Born to Run: A Hidden Tribe, Superathletes, and the Greatest Race the World Has Never Seen'' by Christopher McDougall

This book is a look at the niche sport of ultra-running, races run over mammoth distances, sometimes hundreds of miles over many days in the most extreme conditions on the planet.

McDougall explores the reason that make humans the greatest long distanc runners of all creatures on the planet and the reason why we as a spieces have pretty much forgotten how to really run.

His quest takes him deep into the Copper Canyons of mexico where he meets a tribe of people for whom long distance running is an essential aspect of their culture, their past and their future. And then he finds out what would happen if these untrained super-runners take on the best long distance runners in the developed world.

Rincewind

Rincewind

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The books above are just 3 of my favourites.

Please share and discuss your favourite sports books here!! And maybe you might get some tips on books you might like!!

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I read afew autobiographies like of wayne gretzky amd bo jackson that were pretty good

Rincewind

Rincewind

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Just finished this. ''Born to Fight'' by Mark Hunt, the Kiwi MMA fighter.

born-to-fight-cover.jpg

This man endured, what can only be described as a truly horrific childhood, and his young adult years were not much better. Anyone with an interest in MMA will love it.

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you consider mountain climbing a sports, 'Into Thin Air' by John Krakauer will do. Chronicles the true to life experience of a deadly attempt to climb Mount Everest.

G

greenscholar

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
If you're into cricket, Marcus Trescothick's autobiography "Coming back to me" is a really interesting read explaining his experiences with depression at the elite level.

Bogdan Pyts

Bogdan Pyts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
"Alex Ferguson. My autobiography"
Alex Ferguson

"I am Zlatan!"
Zlatan Ibrahimovic, David Lagerkrants

"Councils of the champion"
Author: Arnold Schwarzenegger

pronaxxx

pronaxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
1) "Pele. Autobiography"

2) art books about the sport
"Football fever» (Fever Pitch)

3) Scientific (or pretend to be scientific) BOOKS ABOUT SPORTS
"Before the death of healthy"

Related Betting Guides: CA Betting - AU Betting - UK Betting - SportsBetting Poker - BetStars