postpone the football season after the International break?

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
After that March break, we're in the business end of the season. In the league, titles, relegations and promotions are mathematically decided. In the cups, finalists are determined, and then in May cups are won.
Problem is, the game isn't played in a vacuum. As Liverpool and Leeds showed last season, fans will congregate in large numbers to celebrate, regardless of restrictions. That set the precedent - sadly, they haven't learned - the scenes of fans again in Glasgow on Saturday and Sunday were depressingly predictable. What exactly did they THINK was gonna happen?!

The same may happen again in England next month. City are that used to winning the Prem in recent years that maybe there wont be an outpouring of emotion (the same way Arsenal had become that accustomed to winning the FA lately that their fans didn't feel the need to take to the streets en masses last August), but given City's fans tendency to invade the pitch after each title win, I wouldn't be so sure. This years FA Cup is too early to call, but if Tottenham beat City in the League Cup Final, it will be their 1st trophy for 13 years so their fans might want to cut loose outside too.
I don't know what the scenes were like in other countries last year and what might happen this year. The UK is ahead of most in getting the vaccine rolled out but restrictions still apply and it would be a shame if our freedom was delayed because of some millionaires kicking a ball around, so I think it's in everyone's interest to delay the end of the season until large gatherings are allowed again.

DaaBee

DaaBee

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
End the season....why?

The games are like watching a training session.....

However i would watch non league if they put that on TV.... I dont care if no crowd/fans are in the ground. I love the game at all levels men/women and any game is better than none.

Restrictions are in place and teams have addapted. Give us more Live sports.

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the issue isn't the games going ahead - as you say, they have adapted. The issue is that when a team wins/achieves something, fans will illegally gather in large numbers to celebrate - either at the stadium of the club, or in the city centre.