poker an Olympic sport

S

satunya

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
how do you think can poker become an Olympic sport ?

M

max chong

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think that poker will never be an Olympic sport!

Robert Krawczak

Robert Krawczak

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hmm... There's a lot of poker tournaments. I think it's better now while poker is not Olimpic Sport

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Short answer: it'll never happen, not in a million years.

But as a thought exercise, there are a whole bunch of different problems that would have to be overcome. Here are just a few of the more obvious ones:

1: As mentioned above, poker is not a sport. That's pretty much the end of the line right there. But even if you could get past that...

2: Poker is gambling. The IOC is staunchly anti-gambling. Again, end of the line. But even if you could get past that...

3: Poker doesn't have a "governing body" pushing for its inclusion. Actual sports spend decades trying to get themselves included in the Olympics, and they require major campaigns with funding and lobbying to be successful. Poker can't even agree on a single set of rules for itself from venue to venue, let alone coordinate a campaign for Olympic inclusion. And even if you could get past that...

4: Poker makes for terrible live television. Televised after the game has ended, with hole cards and graphics and all the boring hands edited out? Fine. But for game integrity reasons you can't show hole cards during live matches, and you can't skip over all the boring hands. And if you can't show hole cards, or cut the boring hands, you lose your entire audience bar a few hardcore poker nerds.

shinedown.45

shinedown.45

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Speaking of the Olympics,Why does the rider receive the medal in the equestrian events?, the horse does all the work.

Ahoy

Ahoy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Oh no please no! Olympic gAmes are for sports, gambling is different :)

J

jcla6985

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Poker is indeed a sport. Sport is any show of skill in competition form. However I hope it never is an Olympic sport. Far too much luck, and poker isn't about medals, its about winning the big money! (not that I know anything about winning lol)

onondaga

onondaga

Ukraine
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
Poker is indeed a sport. Sport is any show of skill in competition form. However I hope it never is an Olympic sport. Far too much luck, and poker isn't about medals, its about winning the big money! (not that I know anything about winning lol)

Is bracelets which u can win at big poker tournaments not like medals? ;)

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
even if chess does not accept that poker is even more so.

O

OpiumSLB

Rising Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
in my opinion it doesnt make sense poker being an olympic game.

Nikolay23

Nikolay23

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think it will never happen, but its interesting idea :D

87shorts

87shorts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
poker is not a sport.

Sport

Noun

An activity involving physical exertion and skill in which an individual or team competes against another or others for entertainment

pokers a great game but not a sport. that definition is from the oxford dictionary.

D

Dan Lucas

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to the definition, there are no sports in the Olympics, and only a few games, since the end result is not entertainment, regardless of what the Olympic Body would have you believe. Poker should not be in the Olympics for all the reasons stated. Also any sport where the winner is determined by arbitrary rulings of judges should not be included. (Synchronized swimming anyone?) Just one person's opinion.

87shorts

87shorts

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
According to the definition, there are no sports in the Olympics, and only a few games, since the end result is not entertainment, regardless of what the Olympic Body would have you believe. Poker should not be in the Olympics for all the reasons stated. Also any sport where the winner is determined by arbitrary rulings of judges should not be included. (Synchronized swimming anyone?) Just one person's opinion.

well said man I couldn't agree more. it seems it always debated when judges are involved

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Would it be in the Winter Olympics or Summer?

Entrik

Entrik

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oh what are you?)
Poker is not a azartmaniya Marseille)
Well, maybe years from now and will be 100 ku)

J

joe777

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Even the Egg and spoon race is more qualified than poker if to be consider as an Olympic event.