Pete Rose - Should he be re-instated

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Baseball commissioner announced today in a meeting with Pete Rose that he would decide by the end of the year if he would re-instate Pete.

If you don't know who Pete Rose is, he was a baseball player and a coach for the Cincinnati Reds that was banned from baseball for gambling.

If you don't know what baseball is, it's like cricket only it makes sense.

fubarcdn

fubarcdn

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am offering 1.5 to 1 that he will not. :)
Seeing as I am short on cash I can only bet Full Tilt coins at those odds. :)

rotty

rotty

I triple dog dare ya
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I believe it will finally be over soon and Pete Rose will be a Hall of Famer. :)

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The Baseball commissioner announced today in a meeting with Pete Rose that he would decide by the end of the year if he would re-instate Pete.

If you don't know who Pete Rose is, he was a baseball player and a coach for the Cincinnati Reds that was banned from baseball for gambling.

If you don't know what baseball is, it's like cricket only it makes sense.

Pistol Pete should be reinstated says Playful , its been long enough:p

H

haystack

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes Pete Rose should be re-instated and placed in the hall of fame.

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would be very surprised if Pete Rose is reinstated. I'm going to take a different line on this.

This is a clip from CBS Sports, so thank you to them for this.

http://www.cbssports.com/video/player/videos/541199939729/0/rob-manfred-talks-pete-rose

It's very interesting that Rob Manfred announced so soon that he wants to address this issue. Also, from what he said in the interview, these are my takeaways.

1. Rob Manfred wants to, first and foremost, address this issue once and for all early in his mandate so that it does not continue to be a lingering issue during his tenure as Commissioner of Baseball. All we heard during Bud Selig's time as Commissioner is, will Rose be removed from the Permanently Ineligible List (PIL). In a way, he addressed it, by doing very little, but those questions lingered. Once Manfred clearly draws the line in the sand on this issue, the case will be closed once and for all.***

*** - As long as Rose is still alive (he's 74 years old this year). Once he dies, the questions will dissipate. He'll fade into the shadows, similar to Shoeless Joe Jackson.

2. He clearly drew a distinction between the PIL and the bylaws of the Hall of Fame. From this, it's clear that:
(a) He's not likely to remove Rose from the PIL.
(b) He's going to leave it in the hands of the Hall of Fame to determine if some kind of amendment can be made to give Rose a chance to be voted in. Then, a secondary question comes of this, does he go through the (up to 10 year) voting window of the BBWAA since he wasn't on the BBWAA ballot previously, or will it be up to the Veterans Committee? How will the BBWAA or the Veterans Committee feel if they had to make a decision on Rose?

3. He's more than aware of the strong stance MLB has had on Rose since he was banned in 1989. A precedent has been set that makes it, to me, virtually impossible for a future commissioner to ever remove Rose from the PIL. The additional complication here is that the original commissioner, Bart Giamatti, died not longer after the ban was implemented, so we'll never know where he stands on the issue. But, I think it's probably not far off from the stance of former commissioner, Fay Vincent. He still feels, to this day, that Rose should not be eligible for enshrinement.

John Dowd, who conducted the original investigation, concurs that nothing has changed in the last 30 years with Rose that would warrant even considering him to be removed from the PIL.

To me, I think that there's too much pressure on Manfred to remove Rose from the PIL. For him to do that, he's essentially suggested that Rose's gambling on the Reds during his time as manager, and perhaps even as a player, even if he did it with the spirit of always trying to win (which doesn't justify his doing so in the first place) is alright. I think Manfred doesn't have a decision to make, time and precedence gives him only one choice, and that is to keep his situation as status quo. Rose's actions over the last 25+ years has not helped his case. I myself, saw Pete Rose about 10 years ago sitting in front of a sporting paraphernalia store just yards away from Caesar's Palace (Las Vegas) selling his autograph.

Then, Manfred has closed the door on any future debate, and Rose will live the rest of his life as the all time hit king, but not eligible for Hall of Fame enshrinement.

K

korbal29

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He shouldnt be re-instated and shouldnt be even discussed . He dragged baseball in the mud by his actions

D

DaShizNit1133

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Let him in...look at the sports betting going on anyhow nowadays!

arizoney

arizoney

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
If you cant do the time dont do the crime. Pete Rose blatantly broke the rules he knew the consequences for his action. Now it seems like he's crying real hard for the hall must be a lot of monetary gain for him just like the angle he took to get in trouble in the first place. Man up Pete take your medicine.

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Pistol Pete should be reinstated says Playful , its been long enough:p

Unfortunately to re-instate Pistol Pete to anything we would have to start with a shovel. :p

VinnyStrat

VinnyStrat

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He shouldnt be re-instated and shouldnt be even discussed . He dragged baseball in the mud by his actions

I don't think he actually damaged the sport.

The hundreds of players doing steroids while the league looked the other way damaged the game in ways that can never be repaired. To my knowledge, none of those players have been "banned" from baseball.

CincyTim83

CincyTim83

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think he should be re-instated for the stats alone!! from cincy but you cant deny what he has accomplished as a hitter.

mk0523

mk0523

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think he should be re-instated for the stats alone!! from cincy but you cant deny what he has accomplished as a hitter.

Exactly, he should be a Hall of Famer because he was a great baseball player. He made some bad decisions, but to me that has nothing to do with being a great player. I don't care if a player is a complete scumbag, I would still vote them in. It shouldn't be a popularity contest based off someone's morals and ethics; it should be what you did on the field as a player.

steved757

steved757

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Exactly, he should be a Hall of Famer because he was a great baseball player. He made some bad decisions, but to me that has nothing to do with being a great player. I don't care if a player is a complete scumbag, I would still vote them in. It shouldn't be a popularity contest based off someone's morals and ethics; it should be what you did on the field as a player.

I agree 100%. He did the time for his crime and its been long enough where he should be reinstated and be in the hall of fame but unfortunately I doubt he will get in because like you said its more of a popularity contest and they look more into how a player acted off the field than what he contributed on the field.

ScooperNova

ScooperNova

Hair in a Biscuit
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Pete Maravich is Pistol Pete and no one else. Thank you that is all. Go Reds!

mariel619

mariel619

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
if at anytime there is a player that juiced and makes it, or has already made it ;), then Pete should be there also