One and The Only One Diego Armando Maradona

miamia

miamia

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
BogOtac... It is phrase in Croatian language...One and the Only One. Godfather of the football,just because him I am sad to argentina is kick off from World Cup ,not because messi or because i love an argentinian team,to be honest,not like them at all,because they play dirty and bad and they not deserve anything but shame

miamia

miamia

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
We will always love you for everything you did for football.
For two championships title with than magnificent Argentina and title for Napoli...Thanks Maradona.

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maradona is a legend of his age.He is considered a God in Argentina.

Ivansito26

Ivansito26

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is what you have said, there is only one diego armando Maradona and he is unique since he is a guy who likes to be in controversy, one of the best in football, although whatever it is is considered one of the best, so the criticisms can exist on the are many at the end lives his life as he likes he has money fame and can do what he wants hehe

Last edited by a moderator:
Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Two titles of Argentina they had two serious key things that happened and helped them a lot. The hand goal of Maradona vs England on 1986 and the 6 x 0 vs Peru on 1978. That was very strange, the goalkeeper of Peru they said got a lot of money to loose. Argentina needed to win by 4 goals to advance to final and take out brazil. Very strange... Good thing today we have the video referee. Argentina has good players but bad team.
Brazil is strong again this year, going to SIX TITLES !!!

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Uhmm, football is not really my thing, so I haven't been closely following the life of Maradona. I realize that he was an all time great. But looking at this man's life from a distance, checking in every decade or so, he is a very disturbing figure.

He cheated to advance in the World Cup. It was no accident, he intentionally put the ball into the goal with his hand, hoping the referee wouldn't see it. It worked, and Argentina advanced with (I believe) Maradona himself coining the phrase "hand of God".

You can talk all you want about how it was good for the country to win, and how it boosted spirits to beat England so soon after the Falklands War, etc, etc., but the bottom line is the guy cheated, succeeded, and was celebrated for it by an entire nation - the leading cheerleader being himself. None of this could be considered healthy for Maradona.

Now thirty years later, he is a plastic surgeon's dream with a nightmare plastic face. His addiction issues almost killed him, and he is bankrupt. Had he not been morally bankrupt from the start (fueled by football fans around the world) he may have been a lot better off now.

Just imagine if Neymar turns in a world beating performance to lead Brazil to the World Cup. Imagine if that performance includes a "reward" for rolling 20 metres in fake pain (like a key penalty) and the world lauds him for it. Do you think the world would be doing him any favours?

THbc19

THbc19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I feel sorry for what he has become. It was a football legend, did not deserve this end.

A

Aglarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The worship of Maradona in my country makes me sick, he was a great football player but terrible as a person, his goal with the hand against England is something to be ashamed of not celebrated.
Messi is much better in every way yet he is treated like shit because he didn't win a world cup and Maradona is treated as a god...

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
He was the best player of his time, no doubt about it.

AtiFCOD

AtiFCOD

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The worship of Maradona in my country makes me sick, he was a great football player but terrible as a person, his goal with the hand against England is something to be ashamed of not celebrated.
Messi is much better in every way yet he is treated like shit because he didn't win a world cup and Maradona is treated as a god...

Maybe it's because Maradona played at his high level even in the argentinian team...and yeah won a World Cup. .Messi is like stunned in the national team. He cant do much there when the other stars like C.Ronaldo, Griezmann do the same outstanding work in their national teams.

Few year ago I thought Messi is the best. Now I think C.Ronaldo is the best because his work in his country's team.

Yeah I'm also sad that Maradona became what he became... :-/

THbc19

THbc19

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm Brazilian, I have Argentina as the main opponent, but I agree with everything you said.

leogetz79

leogetz79

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
dont cry for me Argentina!!!! mil gols, mil gols... so pele, so pele, maradona cheirador!!! :)

A

Aglarion

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Maybe it's because Maradona played at his high level even in the argentinian team...and yeah won a World Cup. .Messi is like stunned in the national team. He cant do much there when the other stars like C.Ronaldo, Griezmann do the same outstanding work in their national teams.

Few year ago I thought Messi is the best. Now I think C.Ronaldo is the best because his work in his country's team.

Yeah I'm also sad that Maradona became what he became... :-/

I disagree that Messi hasn't done well in the national team, he is the all time top scorer, he won and U-20 world championship, olympic gold, reached 3 copa america finals and 1 world cup final. If it wasn't for him we wouldn't have even classified fo this world cup. Football is a team sport, you can't expect a player to win a world cup alone.