NL CY Young

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Can Jacob deGrom win it with under ten wins?

Can a pitcher win MVP this year?

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't see a pitcher winning MVP for that to happen Degrom would've needed like 20 wins with his 1.7 era. Also I think if he keeps that era down below 2 he deserves Cy Young. Cy Young is the best pitcher award and Degrom would've had the best season. It's not his fault his teams offense sucks.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am going to say no. Couple of other pitchers out there having pretty good seasons.
Nola, Scherzer and Lester are up there. I know it is hard to argue with 1.70 ERA.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am going to say no. Couple of other pitchers out there having pretty good seasons.
Nola, Scherzer and Lester are up there. I know it is hard to argue with 1.70 ERA.

On any other team deGrom would be nearing 20 wins.

It's unbelievable to me if he doesn't win the CY Young if he finishes with a 1.70 ERA

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My pick would be deGrom or Nola because they have the consistency unlike Scherzer with all the strikeouts but not pitch efficiency.

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
degrom wont win either max or nola will win the award the wins are going to cost degrom this year

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a game a few weeks ago that he pitched. He was great, but his team scored 1 run.... and he was who had the rbi!! Poor guy can't get any support.
Can Jacob deGrom win it with under ten wins?

Can a pitcher win MVP this year?

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I remember the year Felix Hernandez on the CY with a pedestrian 13-12 record so it is still possible, i would give the slight edge to Scherzer right now.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I saw a game a few weeks ago that he pitched. He was great, but his team scored 1 run.... and he was who had the rbi!! Poor guy can't get any support.

The story of why he has so few wins this year, absolute shame

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Has to be depressing for him. You go out there and shut down the hottest team at the time (think they were playing houston, but can't quite recall) down, and the only run your team gets is from you also. He is easily the best this year, and I don't think record should have anything to do with it, but it most likely will. He is pitching tonight, and is a underdog with that era... that tells you everything right there.
The story of why he has so few wins this year, absolute shame

gedzshadow

gedzshadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd go Nola on this one.

The win issue is a factor but doesn't need to be the only one. I know Hernandez won the year he had a near .500 record but that just means it didn't hurt him enough over other candidates. The option in the NL or Nola/Scherzer are two pitchers who have a better WAR then DeGrom. Nola statistically plays for the worst defense in the league by a long shot and he is still pulling in victories with those clowns behind him.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Nola is having a great year, but trust me the Mets defense is nothing special this year. At least Philly is providing their Ace run support. Can you imagine losing constantly 1-0, 2-1?

deGrom hasn't given up more than 3 runs in ANY start since late April, and his record is 6-9 I think in that stretch. Tell me that isn't crazy.

theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
At the All-Star Break I liked Lester. I think if the season ended today Scherzer would win. I think DeGrom is the best of the 3 and I think Nola has the most upside....

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd go Nola on this one.

The win issue is a factor but doesn't need to be the only one. I know Hernandez won the year he had a near .500 record but that just means it didn't hurt him enough over other candidates. The option in the NL or Nola/Scherzer are two pitchers who have a better WAR then DeGrom. Nola statistically plays for the worst defense in the league by a long shot and he is still pulling in victories with those clowns behind him.

I think DeGrom would much rather have the worst defense in the league (which is still an MLB team that makes almost every play) and actually get a few runs per game to help him.

gedzshadow

gedzshadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'd venture to guess they'd rather it the other way. Philly has given away runs over and over again. While you can't win without scoring... you really can't win when your team literally spots the other guys runs.

The old wisdom that Defense wins championships comes into play here. Most of these high level teams need to be able to win games 2-0, 1-0, 2-1. You have absolutely no shot of that if your team can't make the outs they should.

pink_floyd67

pink_floyd67

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Degrom is the best pitcher in the NL. WIn loss record means nothing.
Explain to me how a starter can go 7 innings give up 1 run leave the game in a tie. pitcher behind him comes in pitches 1 inning his team scores in the eighth and he is the winner. Or as a Met fan I seen this a lot Benitez comes in with a lead and promptly gives it up in the ninth. In the bottom of the ninth Mets rally score and wins so now ****ING BENITEZ Is credited with a win. This system sucks so it’s all about the eye test and to me Degrom is the winner.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think deGrom is the front runner heading into the end of the season

gedzshadow

gedzshadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Playoff teams always get more publicity here and generally if your team wins and your Win/Loss is there you get an edge.

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
degrom is a beast this year cant believe 3 earned or fewer 26 straight starts thats crazzy

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Fernando Valenzuela lives again, the NL is going to rule and mlb will bow down once again!@!!

grilldoggy

grilldoggy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Darryl Strawberry

The NL is the best, I think they will outlast and control until the world series