NFL positional wage disparity

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The top QBs make almost double any other position, is that fair? Do you guys think the NFL will be able to implement a QB salary limit, and would that be good for the game?

Just something I've been thinking about recently, especially with Odell Beckham situated for a record breaking WR deal that is still far away from what any top 10 qb makes

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
I think it is fine as is. QB is the most important position. It is also the one position that can influence the game the most. Look at Green Bay and New England.

I do believe though that defensive players should be paid more though especially the front players. Mack and Donald are still holding out trying to get an extension, prime examples of this.

WR are divas and this is one of the positions that is over valued. While there are few game changers like OBJ and AB that I believe is worth more than they are paid, the rest of them are paid far more than they are worth.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Now that I think about it you could probably take my last point about the WR and apply it QB as well there are many so so QBs making a mint out there.

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree with Joe. QB is the most important position, so teams are gonna make sure they r happy cuz they need them. It's just how life works sometimes. It's just not a sport like basketball where any position can affect the game equally. Just like baseball pitchers get paid less because they pitch every 5th game.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Agree with paying an elite QB the money. Every year you would have a run at the Super Bowl. Abundance of other position players to fill in. The QB position doesn't have as many really great players as other positions.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
No I don't think a QB salary limit would be good for the game. Teams have the freedom to spend their salary cap however they see fit, if some of them want to blow a huge chunk of their cap space on QB then they have to make sacrifices elsewhere, it's all part of the overall strategy of building a winning team.

Plus there's a pretty good argument to be made that guys like Brady and Rodgers are actually being underpaid. I'm sure other teams would happily pay Brady a lot more than he's taking from the Pats right now...

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
the problem is qb is the team leader the guy the franchise builds around has to be the most paid on the team the thing is with all the these rules its harder and harder for d guys to play with stupid flags only few d guys make crazy money

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Does anyone think Cowboys are going to make it to the Playoffs this season ??
Cheers,
M.D.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't think they should limit the pay. There is a salary cap so if you're going to go all out on a qb, then you're going to have to go cheaper at other spots. I tend to think that qb is becoming over rated even though it's a passing leauge now. You don't need a "elite" qb, just a competent one. I'd rather have a competent qb, and a stud wr squad, than a elite qb and a average wr squad. I include tighat ends in that.

People over look o line too often. Those guys get paid a lot for a reason. I feel some d line is overlooked money wise. Look at donald, arguably the best player overall on a stacked team, and he had issues with contract for years now. If he was a qb, with the same level of skill there as he has on the line, he would have been paid without a question.

NoPlace4U

NoPlace4U

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
There is a salary cap, QB is the most important position, if some team spent 20% of the cap in their QB the rest of the team will suffer and WR are divas, in the last 20 years check the top 5 WR for that year, how many teams won the SB with them?

terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Do you notice nobody Ever talks about how much the owners make every year,,,a QB makes around 2-3% of what the owner makes,think about it. :rolleyes: (They are ALL overpaid!) But a great sport!Love football.:five:

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Nope.

They will have to win their division and I don't see them dethroning the Eagles.

They have to play NFC South toughest division,3 teams made the playoff from that division last year.

The also have multiple concerns heading into start of season too. Their qb have only played 2 pre season games their rb has not taken a snap. Their best pass rusher is out for first 4 games, their greatest strength is the O line is banged up their center may not play at all this season LT is injured don't if he plays game 1 one of their guard has a gimpy knee, multiple injuries on defense plus they have no receivers no tight end.

Does anyone think Cowboys are going to make it to the Playoffs this season ??
Cheers,
M.D.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lets see how it goes. There are always surprises every year. Go Cowboys !!!!!

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Aaron Donald just got a record contract. 87 mil guaranteed is amazing for a d lineman

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Mack got paid too, heavy. I can't believe oakland let him go.
Aaron Donald just got a record contract. 87 mil guaranteed is amazing for a d lineman

gedzshadow

gedzshadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Sure he deserved it but the problem right now is trying to build a team that is complete at every level and still keeping players like Mack that turn into dominant stars.

I also don't blame Oakland for shipping him out.

theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
He deserved it, he is a absolute monster.

I'm not entirely sold on Trubisky, in fact this draft had better QB's than the 2017 one in my opinion. So this has the potential, talent is there but ya gotta perform and stay healthy, to make the defense the focus again in Chicago and protect the need for Trubisky to carry the team

They could afford to pay him because they sent their 1st rd picks each of the next 2 years.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think the Patriots have shown that you can't have lasting success of too much of your cap is tied up by just a few players.

Any team handing out these mega deals is really limiting the super bowl window their team can realistically compete in.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Well the QBs often time call plays and command the offense so they should be paid the most. However, I think this is beginning to change as WRs are being paid more and more and players like Khalil Mack are signing record setting contracts for defensive players.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Those QB´s making over a Milion dollars per game is a shame. They should put a limit. Not only on NFL other sports as well.
Those players probably don´t care if they win or loose with so much money in their pockets. It became a money matter...

Ronaldo7

Ronaldo7

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Those QB´s making over a Milion dollars per game is a shame. They should put a limit. Not only on NFL other sports as well.
Those players probably don´t care if they win or loose with so much money in their pockets. It became a money matter...
What are you talking about?? Federer made more than all of them and probably has life time contract with sponsors and he is giving his maximum with 37... Thats why love for your work is important, so that its not all about money...

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Oakland couldn't afford him, but they knew that for the last year, they should have made a "bad" trade for a few good role players and draft picks.
Sure he deserved it but the problem right now is trying to build a team that is complete at every level and still keeping players like Mack that turn into dominant stars.

I also don't blame Oakland for shipping him out.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I won't pretend I've seen a good body of his work, but I thought he was good in game 1, I was impressed with his play. As for being able to able afford him, depends on how he plays, they could only able ford ford mack because trub is on a rookie contract.
I'm not entirely sold on Trubisky, in fact this draft had better QB's than the 2017 one in my opinion. So this has the potential, talent is there but ya gotta perform and stay healthy, to make the defense the focus again in Chicago and protect the need for Trubisky to carry the team

They could afford to pay him because they sent their 1st rd picks each of the next 2 years.