NFL Overtime Rules

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
So I am sitting here watching the SNF game and when it went to overtime and they were explaining the overtime rules, it made me wonder something. So both teams get to possess the ball UNLESS the first team that gets it scores a touchdown. Well now that they dropped the overtime from 15 minutes to 10 minutes this season it made me wonder........What happens if the team who gets the ball first takes up the whole 10 minutes of time and kicks a field goal as the 10 minutes expired? Does the other team still get a chance to possess the ball and tie or win? And if they do, and they get a field goal to tie, does the first team get another chance? LOL. What would happen?

Also, Ezekial Elliot looks like he's a homeless dude. Anybody see his hair? :eek::eek::eek::D:D:D

AKQ

AKQ

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The team has the option to use all ten minutes is correct and would result in a tie. It is pretty tough though to keep the ball live for 10 minutes and never have a turnover or a touchdown occur

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The team has the option to use all ten minutes is correct and would result in a tie. It is pretty tough though to keep the ball live for 10 minutes and never have a turnover or a touchdown occur

Yes it is tough, but it can happen. How would that end in a tie if the first team kicks a field goal as the 10 minutes expired? They would be up by 3. So my question is, if that happened, do they win. It clearly states BOTH teams get to possess the ball unless the first team gets a touchdown. So I was wondering what would happen in that scenario. :confused::confused:

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There shouldnt be a friggin tie in football ...that is it

Q

QA77

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The clock to 10 min increases the chance of a tie by a bunch. I hate seeing ties but its just the regular season.

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Nobody properly answered my question haha. I agree. There should NOT be a tie in football. It is definitely something they should look into changing next season when the committee gets together to decide any rule changes etc.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't understand why people hate tied games so much - personally I think it's the only fitting end to some games. Like that Seahawks-Cardinals 6-6 shambles a few seasons back. Nobody deserved to win that game ;)
What happens if the team who gets the ball first takes up the whole 10 minutes of time and kicks a field goal as the 10 minutes expired? Does the other team still get a chance to possess the ball and tie or win?

Logic and common sense would dictate that no, they don't because the game is over.

NFL rules don't necessarily follow logic and common sense, but they actually do in this case if you go and read the complete rule book, not just the brief overview they give at the start of overtime:

• There shall be a maximum of one 10-minute period, even if the second team has not had an opportunity to possess the ball or if its initial possession has not ended. If the score is tied at the end of the period, the game shall result in a tie.

theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don't understand why people hate tied games so much - personally I think it's the only fitting end to some games. Like that Seahawks-Cardinals 6-6 shambles a few seasons back. Nobody deserved to win that game ;)

Logic and common sense would dictate that no, they don't because the game is over.

NFL rules don't necessarily follow logic and common sense, but they actually do in this case if you go and read the complete rule book, not just the brief overview they give at the start of overtime:
  • There shall be a maximum of one 10-minute period, even if the second team has not had an opportunity to possess the ball or if its initial possession has not ended. If the score is tied at the end of the period, the game shall result in a tie.

I don't like the concept of a tie game in football but I agree with your point that it can be a necessary evil in games neither team or maybe even games both teams deserved to win or lose.

The problem is the football season is shorter in length so each game means so much...of course you could argue that you shoulda figured out how to win it

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I hate it, and all the other rule changes as well. It will be flag football in 5 years at this rate. In general, for any sport,it should never end in a tie.
There shouldnt be a friggin tie in football ...that is it

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Based on the rule book the team that kicks a field goal at the end of overtime would win.

BHowell44

BHowell44

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Thank you for the information! I understand now. That makes sense. Since I thought of that it has been bothering me not knowing the official ruling on what should happen should that occur. Thanks again!!:D

Poker Rules - Poker Games