new champions league format

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
set to be ratified on Friday (April 2nd) - 36 teams, including 2 teams that will get in on "historic co-efficient". No groups, instead everyone will play 10 league games and those with the best records will progress.
Thoughts?

P

pltelles

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
at first I didn't like it, this is to please the TV, with more games among the big ones. TV is only interested in the elite of sport and never in competitiveness.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This is the first time I've heard of a change in the structure of the Champions League. I don't understand why, but I hope that everything will remain as before without changes.

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
they want to reform the Champions League by 2024. the intent is to increase the number of matches in the league, and significantly. also, as I understand it, this is done to please the top clubs, for example the Premier League, where there are 6-7 clubs that are able to compete in the Champions League and have strong players on contracts and want to play at the highest level.
It's hard to say right now, but maybe it will only strengthen the Champions League. the group stage will be weird.
the main thing is that clubs are not from the top 5 championships, have real chances to participate in the Champions League and be able to compete.

namvidnee

namvidnee

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The format must be changed unambiguously. He's tired of everyone. But how is that a question.

Funkyst3t

Funkyst3t

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The latest changes in the Champions League are just misunderstandings. Any team should have a chance to win. It doesn't matter whether you like it or not, whether it's grand or not. Here who won the final - that and the champion. And then they began to divide: you can't play with these, you can't play with 2 teams from the same country...blah blah blah.... Need to as before group death-means group death, have someone the easy group-means lucky.:icon_king

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got 2 problems:
(1) The extra 4 matchdays. Here in England, managers of the "top clubs" are often vocal in their criticism of the number of games we play, and see FA cup replays as unnecessary extra fixtures. It's therefore ironic that Liverpool and Man United are 2 of the biggest supporters of this new expanded format.
And thanks to UEFA's disgusting rule about there being no midweek domestic games during European weeks, it might spell the end of FA Cup replays anyway, to accommodate these extra 4 matchdays. It might even mean the end of the League Cup. This will rob lower league clubs of both match-day revenue and experiences. But hey, as long as the elite clubs can get richer, who cares.
(2) The 2 "wildcard" spots. Again, it's going to destroy domestic football, not just in England this time, but in some of the other top leagues too. If AC Milan or Liverpool or Real Madrid, have a poor start to their league season and find themselves adrift in the title race, what exactly do they have to play for? Their historic european success means they're guaranteed to be in the Champions League next season, so as long as they don't get relegated (which is realistically never gonna happen), who cares?

Djon25

Djon25

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
UA
Chips
The changes are always interesting, it's bad that because of the coronavirus there are no spectators in the stadiums:(:(:(