Never Give Up - Homeless Football Player Was Kicked Out For Accepting A Place To Live

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
In another thread about youtube channels about countries I had briefly mentioned a guy, Silas Nacita, who vlogs about his live as a professional american football player in germany. Every now and then I click on his videos about his journey. What I just recently discovered, was his former story - a story of persistence and following your dream. Another thing I wasn't aware of was his performance as a player. He is a running back and was the second best scorer in the GFL season 2016 and third in 2017.Let's watch first a video made of some guy about him.

So for non-Americans this sounds pretty weird, right? The point is, that college athlets are supposed to be fully amateurs and any benefit is regarded as "professionalism" - despite the fact that college sports make millions in revenues and coaches earn a seven figure salary per year. Now let's see what Silas himself has to say about it.
I would like to know from American members how big of a news that was in Texas and maybe even across the country. Since it looks to me, that NCAA is a big deal, some people might have noticed it. So finally let's watch him explaining how he ended up playing in Germany.
I think this guy deserves some clicks on his videos and I wish him and his wife a great time wherever life brings them to.

The lesson for US poker players is, no matter whether you want to be just a winning recreational or go pro eventually, if you do the necessary work, study your game and keep on executing what you've learned, you will succeed in the end. For those, who want to go pro, don't be disappointed if you never get a bracelet. Be grateful if you just can make a decent living with it, without a boss telling you what to do and maybe travel around the world to live tournaments. These experiences alone are so much more than the average Joe/Jane will ever achieve, that it's worth the effort.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I found this enlightening and entertaining video of John Oliver's Last Week Tonight show about the NCAA. Ho-ly crap!

Infinity Objective

Infinity Objective

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The NCAA, Universities at times have an "incestuous" relationship when they're not at odds, or neutral and it's an abomination.

They're making a fortune off these kids, sure they get an education, boarding, stipend, experiences and stature, a great potential stepping stone. The kids are risking serious and even life threatening injuries and the cash coming into these clowns can fill a million landfills. :rolleyes:

F the NCAA and the greedy ass U's who should be lobbying and profit sharing with their athletes, ball busting pr!cks. :D

Good awareness piece Tricia, thanks. :)

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've never heard of him, and ncaaf is my favorite sport. To me it seems like part of the story is missing... if it's not, and it legit is how he says, then man, that's rough, and bs. He could make nfl though if he keeps performing so not alooking is lost.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
He just posted a video about his last game so far and he ends with some inspiring words about persistence and opportunities. It's not clear whether he'll come back for next season or not.

theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I found this enlightening and entertaining video of John Oliver's Last Week Tonight show about the NCAA. Ho-ly crap!
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=pX8BXH3SJn0

People need to watch this. John Oliver is awesome and this is a real issue and an example of how the NCAA abuses these players.

Ever notice that of all the sports video games they don't make NCAA Football game anymore. I don't recall the exact reason but it had to do with licensing fees or something.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Today he posted his season highlights. I'm not too familiar with football. Are these good stats by American standards?

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
I wasn't sure if I should reanimate this one or make a complete new thread about the following. He had been part of LeBron's documentary Student Athletes and now he announced an upcoming documentary about the GFL, which apparently he made on his own. This is the teaser he published some couple of hours ago.
Next season he'll play in Florence/Italy with Art Briles, his old coach from Baylor.

A

acemenow

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Idon't follow sports in general let alone college sports. So I had not heard about this before. Thanks for posting was an interesting story.

Although it wasn't the big 10 my college had a football team. And I had a class with one of the guys on the team whom had a scholarship. Guy worked his ass off, both on the field and off. The team was on the road many weekends out of the semester and unless you took a "light" course load, you had to study on the road, on the bus or in hotel rooms in between breaks from team responsibilities. He never complained about it. For him it was a ticket to an education. But he was worried about getting injured on the field and losing his scholarship.

I never had much respect from the NCAA due to numerous stories over the years of them going after college for getting various gifts. Yeah I know they get an education and are supposed to be "amateurs" and in the "spirit" of sportsmanship and all that. But another side to this is many of these kids get hurt on the playing field for life before their 4 years are up and they lose their educational benefits on top of it.

The lucky ones go on to the pro's or finish their education but the unlucky ones can get royally screwed by a hypocritical system.

https://www.noodle.com/articles/when-student-athletes-get-injured-who-pays134

"...Though National Collegiate Athletic Association (NCAA) bylaws 3.2.4.8 (Certification of Insurance Coverage)
and 3.2.4.8.1 (Amount of Coverage) require that student-athletes at member institutions have insurance for medical expenses related to athletic injuries, the schools are not required to cover what the insurance doesn’t, leaving it to parents, guardians, or the students themselves to take out policies and pay out-of-pocket costs. Only once treatment for an injury exceeds $90,000 does the NCAA cover the cost under their Catastrophic Injury Insurance Program..."

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I wasn't sure if I should reanimate this one or make a complete new thread about the following. He had been part of LeBron's documentary Student Athletes and now he announced an upcoming documentary about the GFL, which apparently he made on his own. This is the teaser he published some couple of hours ago.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EOARx4EdYWc
Next season he'll play in Florence/Italy with Art Briles, his old coach from Baylor.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=EJEwSSGfkts

Havin ol Art there should take some of the pressure off him, many fewer rules to follow. :eek:

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
That article about the injuries was an interesting read. Thanks for posting. For someone like me, who has grown up with universal health care it's always mindboggling. I know that Silas was brought to hospital directly off the field once and Nick Alfieri aka Nalf broke his thumb in the final of the German Bowl this year. It is well documented how stress can cause physical illness like heart desease or peptic ulcer disease so I guess that not having to worry about insurance and costs helps a lot to focus on recovery and rehab, hence making it faster back on the field - or in any workforce.

Btw. I was curious about Silas' stats again and found in the German Wikipedia, that he was second best scorer this year again with 21 touchdowns and 1 two-point conversion. Btw is that usual, that 4 of the Top10 scorers in league are kickers?

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
So his journey in Italy begins.
Will be fun as always. Go Silas, the world is yours.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
Since this is the sports division of CardsChat and he mostly vlogged about life in general, I saw no need for updates very much. I think those, who are interested, have subbed to his channel already. Now it seems like he starts a new series about the Guelfi Firenze. This video has some interesting insight by coach Briles too. Enjoy.

Trillian

Trillian

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
DE
Chips
The Rise of Guelfi | An American Football Documentary | Episode 2
Enjoy.

Organize a Home Poker Game