NBA vs Euroleague player development

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi basketball heads!

We are witnessing big changes in the approach how NBA teams are choosing to develop their draft picks from Europe (usually). Up until 5 years ago the NBA teams chose to draft and stash for couple of seasons and then to bring them in the NBA, last players that are drafted and stashed, 76'ers drafted Dario Saric and he played for the Efes, Bogdan Bogdanovic drafted by the Suns (traded to the Kings) and he played for the Fener... But after we saw development of Jokic, Antetokounmpo, Gobert... Top players in the NBA who never played for the big European clubs. GSW brought Smajlagic last season in the G-League and now drafted/played for the Dubs.
I think that change happened because NBA introduced two, two-way contracts and potential roster spots jumped from 15 to 17 and that gives the team more space for working with the prospects. Now NBA coaches don't want to see their players had bad habits taken from some hard head European coach.
Nikola Milutinov is arguably most talented C in the Euroleague, drafted by the Spurs, he's still very young (25) but he will never join the NBA because he never developed outside shooting and its to late for the NBA franchise to work on the shooting.

What do you think, is there something there or I figured wrongfully?

And lastly, what do you prefer NBA or Euroleague basketball and why?

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Hi, I think you're absolutely right about europeans players in NBA, I have nothing add.
Of course I prefer the NBA, because of the dunks and the three balls.
Also, the athletic and technical level is far above any other league in the world.
Nothing against european players, even because many of them have already proved their worth in the NBA.

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hi, I think you're absolutely right about europeans players in NBA, I have nothing add.
Of course I prefer the NBA, because of the dunks and the three balls.
Also, the athletic and technical level is far above any other league in the world.
Nothing against european players, even because many of them have already proved their worth in the NBA.

Well the game is changed, at least in the NBA and rest of the world is catching up slowly but they need some rule changes. Let me explain.
7-8 years ago the NBA started experimenting with moving Power Forwards to the Center position, the move that started this pace and space era of basketball. When C shoot the 3's then defender must go out to guard him and that changes completely dynamic of the offense. Then advanced analytics slowly took over and that changed the game completely but that opened the door for the smart, super skilled players who don't need crazy athleticism to be dominant (best examples are Luka and Jokic). Even in defense analytics schemed how to use good things and hide bad (Jokic is best example again, he's bad rim protector and can't jump high, but he have long wingspan and quick hands so they play him on the top of the key, while PF rotate to guard the rim). Europe now is just catching up with introducing smallball. Then Europe needs to change the rules urgently! First off all court dimensions are smaller, 3p line is closer for half of meter and that's crowding the paint and it's easier to defend 3p as well. Then one rule that makes all the difference is defensive 3sec, exists in the NBA but in Europe/FIBA doesn't. That means that C can camp in the paint, but in the NBA players often timing the moment when C steps to reset the clock and catching them on the wrong steps.

I like to talk about the basketball (as you can see) and I believe that I have some knowledge about the game so I would love to share and get more, always opened for the basketball takes. :)

What team/teams do you follow? Do you have favourite players? How do you decide what team to follow, do you follow a team because you like certain player and if he gets traded or leave do you follow him in the new team even though you never liked that team before?

I personally like to watch development teams and if I like their game I'll follow them until they do another rebuild. Denver Nuggets I started to follow 2016-2017 because I loved how they play and I follow them still.. New team that I will follow next season is Memphis Grizzlies, I like their style and I like JA so probably I'll follow them to the end as well.

This is a bit longer :stupid::D

:hello:

Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
I follow NBA since 2012, my favorite player is Lebron James. I'm a Spurs fan since 2012, that team was amazing, many good memories. :biggrin:
I like to watch great players, regardless the team he is playing, and I never change my favorite team because that

Ja Morant, good player, very promising future
Dončić, Tatum, these two young guys are also cool to watch

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Let's say that LeBron isn't my favourite player :)
I don't like his character, all those murky business in the league.
Well I follow the NBA for long time, it's impossible to like only one team. You will see, you was only lucky to like the team who has been 22 seasons in a row in the playoffs.
I was fan of the Chicago Bulls during the 90s, then I followed Sacramento Kings when Divac, Chris Webber, Doug Christie, Peja played for the Kings, then the Mavs and the Clippers, I liked D-Rose Bulls but that fail apart pretty quickly, Grit and Grind Grizzlies and Gasol I like.. Then the Nuggets :) and few teams and players here and there in Between. I only understand when you live in the USA and cheering for the hometown team no matter the results, its your team for life but I live in Europe and I have to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the games so I can't watch bad basketball, I simply can't, I turn off the TV but I think that I found nice balance between being loyal and not cheering for the sucker team.

Last edited:
Edu1

Edu1

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Let's say that LeBron isn't my favourite player :)
I don't like his character, all those murky business in the league.
Well I follow the NBA for long time, it's impossible to like only one team. You will see, you was only lucky to like the team who has been 22 seasons in a row in the playoffs.
I was fan of the Chicago Bulls during the 90s, then I followed Sacramento Kings when Divac, Chris Webber, Doug Christie, Peja played for the Kings, then the Mavs and the Clippers, I liked D-Rose Bulls but that fail apart pretty quickly, Grit and Grind Grizzlies and Gasol I like.. Then the Nuggets :) and few teams and players here and there in Between. I only understand when you live in the USA and cheering for the hometown team no matter the results, its your team for life but I live in Europe and I have to wake up in the middle of the night to watch the games so I can't watch bad basketball, I simply can't, I turn off the TV but I think that I found nice balance between being loyal and not cheering for the sucker team.

I'm not a american from USA - I'm from brazil :D
I watch much more NBA than NBB (Brazil Basketball League) because the "level" of the game here is poorly, they still in development, of course there's a lot of young talents who can go to euroleague or NBA

pendulabgd

pendulabgd

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a american from USA - I'm from Brazil :D
I watch much more NBA than NBB (Brazil Basketball League) because the "level" of the game here is poorly, they still in development, of course there's a lot of young talents who can go to euroleague or NBA

At least in my country we do play good basketball that's not questionable at all. I'm from Serbia, we always have euroleague team and I have been to many Partizan games in the Euroleague. I go there to be loud, to release my energy but basketball is on the last place, literally even though the level of the game is good, very competitive but I can't enjoy in the game when European coaches have their tactical fouls and I go nuts when they start fouling all the time, I go nuts when I have to watch last two minutes that are lasting for 40min because of the fouls and timeouts. The NBA have their problems with the timeouts but if you watch tomorrow via league pass and all timeouts, brakes anything that's not the game it's cutted and I enjoy in the basketball only and no stupid fouls.
One thing that I really had problems with the NBA was first step travel, it wasn't called in the NBA but now they call it and they fixed the big problem. People still think that NBA players travel a lot but people don't understand the concept behind the gather step.