NBA Playstyle nowadays

G

gryllz_wins

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey guys and gals!
How do you feel about basketball being played the way it is right now: no defense, lots of 3's, slightest contact is a foul. I miss old school basketball, the defensive plays the physicality. My favorite teams to watch were Detroit Pistons with Chauncey Billups, Rasheed Wallace, Ben Wallace and the Memphis Gryzzlies with Mike Conley, Tony Allen, Mark Gasol. I found it more entertaining then.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Basketball has changed. I'm not interested in looking at teams where players throw unprepared throws in the first seconds of possession. They have 24 seconds to play the combination. I don't understand why these idiots are rushing.

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would argue that there is a lot of defense being played in today's NBA, but it is team defense and not individual defense and that's mainly because the change in rules on physicality and hand-checking.

I just think offenses are much smarter now. They're attacking much more in transition, before defenses get set up and are exploiting weaknesses in the other team's defensive strategy.

The game might not be traditionally nice to look at with the 1v1 matchups, but as a basketball coach, I am in awe of all the off-ball movement that happens in today's NBA.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
The game might not be traditionally nice to look at with the 1v1 matchups, but as a basketball coach, I am in awe of all the off-ball movement that happens in today's NBA.
How do you feel about the fact that the players simulate fouls? The referees encourage this.:playingba

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There is defence being played scores don't reflect that because of the insane amount of threes by both teams per game ,and freethrow numbers have to be up id say too

I

iveyfan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
How do you feel about the fact that the players simulate fouls? The referees encourage this.:playingba

I think it depends... if players bait defenders into taking stupid fouls, I'm all for that. I also really admire those that put their body on the line.

I will never support blatant flopping for the purpose of drawing a foul though, especially where there is no illegal contact. I think Harden takes it a few steps too far... sometimes there is no contact and he'll act like the sky is falling.

This is horrible...

ajtrevor

ajtrevor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I really love how the game has evolved it opens the floor up and there is proof out there that you can be successful with different styles of play so teams like the old Pistons or Grizzlies could still pop up nowadays.

WhiskeyFix

WhiskeyFix

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
It's really not even the same game anymore

Don't wanna sound like an old head but ball was definitely better when you could actually play D

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Absolutely correct. You're not allowed to float on defence anymore, and most people don't know that. You have to be on a man, or directly on a double team. That may not seem like a big deal to most, but it absolutely is a huge deal.

That also makes the first few seconds of the shot clock the best time to take advantage of people not being set yet. So the person on here complaining about quick shots, this is why it happens more now.

The fact is is that almost everyone on the floor in a game now is as good or better than almost anyone in the league 20+ years ago. It's not them not being good defensively, it's the rules. That thing Isaiah Thomas said recently is completely true, that if lbj, the Greek freak, Durant and those type of players would have destroyed 30 years ago with their athleticism and being able to take advantage of the rules, or lack of. Being able to float defensively, being able to hand check (that alone would be a huge difference) and so on and so on. It's iso more now because it has to be, because no one is really ever open anymore except on a drive and kick out because the rules make it where everyone must have their man, or directly to a double team.
I would argue that there is a lot of defense being played in today's NBA, but it is team defense and not individual defense and that's mainly because the change in rules on physicality and hand-checking.

I just think offenses are much smarter now. They're attacking much more in transition, before defenses get set up and are exploiting weaknesses in the other team's defensive strategy.

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think it depends... if players bait defenders into taking stupid fouls, I'm all for that. I also really admire those that put their body on the line.

I will never support blatant flopping for the purpose of drawing a foul though, especially where there is no illegal contact. I think Harden takes it a few steps too far... sometimes there is no contact and he'll act like the sky is falling.
Basketball is filled with three-point shots and free throws now. We see different teams setting new records for the number of three-point shots per game all the time. Coaches put players on the bench for unprepared bad shots, but now this is encouraged. As for Harden, he clings to the defender himself and falls from any contact. I find it funny to look at such situations. The news reports that he is the best offensive player in the history of basketball. The world has gone mad.