MLB commissioner says punishments could be severe in sign-stealing scandal

T

tmsr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
https://www.espn.com/mlb/story/_/id...says-punishments-severe-sign-stealing-scandal

I've been reading as much as I can about this since it broke through Ken Rosenthal and The Athletic. Seems like the Astros are pretty guilty based on what can be confirmed by former players, but it appears that other teams might be as guilty.

What other teams do you suspect might be cheating beyond the "normal" sign stealing that happens on the field among players?

*also, I'd be pissed if I'd lost money betting against the 2017 Astros.

Bev

Bev

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Not sure if I am any help with this topic , as I really don't watch sports on TV , my hubby does though.
IMO - if they can't play fair without cheating - they should not be playing .
Yes , they deserve whatever punishment if they are caught - the more they get away with it - then others will follow suit.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When involves a lot of money, many things can happen. But a top player well paid I don´t think they are going to risk for a game. You can´t put a price on a Championship or personal mark

T

tmsr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
When involves a lot of money, many things can happen. But a top player well paid I don´t think they are going to risk for a game. You can´t put a price on a Championship or personal mark

I think these guys definitely did that though. There's a lot of information that's publicly available that implicates the team and players in this.

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
All this to go to great lengths for sign stealing? This is a joke. How about playing baseball instead embarrasing yourself Houston of stupid sign stealing.

mondo3

mondo3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They need to put in a rule with a defined penalty like the loss of 5 years of first round picks. Make it as harsh as you can to remove this from the game

T

tmsr

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They need to put in a rule with a defined penalty like the loss of 5 years of first round picks. Make it as harsh as you can to remove this from the game

I think the harshest thing they can do is vacate the 2017 World Series, just like the 1919 one.
The type of people who run the organization will always find a way to get around other types of punishments, but if you take away the one thing that matters, that will really get the point across. Oh, and ban anyone in management involved in this elaborate scheme.

mondo3

mondo3

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Taking away the championship after they’ve celebrated etc seems too late to me (but would be acceptable). I would still add a future penalty like the loss of draft picks

M

myquickwit

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
They cheated for 3 years. I wish they would have a 3 year postseason ban but everyone is saying that won't happen. You can never fine them enough money or take away enough draft picks so I doubt this punishment will be as severe as they are saying.