D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
This story broke early today UK time and is now being reported widely.

It appears the FA are going to charge Man City with breaking FFP rules 'numerous' times for well over a decade.

This is somewhat boggling as City already had a run in with the FA years ago, who fined them 30 million pounds, which was reduced to 10 million on appeal. However, the FA seem to have continued investigating them for the past four years and have unearthed over 100 infractions. To be frank, it long been discussed that the income City showed, which allowed them to spend and build a world class squad, looked largely fabricated. Well see.

It could just be coincidence, but it is interesting this investigation has come to head now because there could be contributing factors with the public believing FFP rules were a joke. Obviously Juventus are currently paying the price for cooking their books in Italy. Then you have Chelsea led by Todd Boehly spending obscene amounts of money (700 million in half a year) in an attempt to insta-buy a world class squad. Then there have been rumblings that after Saudis took over Newcastle, it was just a question of time before they began spending like City and Chelsea with the authorities deciding enough is enough.

It still early in the reporting but what is being stated is that City will face large fines, a substantial points deduction or even being kicked out of the Premier League though I can't see that happening no matter the corruption.

If this turns out to be accurate it could somewhat explain why City have lacked focus this season as they likely knew the charges were about to break.

elchonga

elchonga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
AR
Chips
The way many European clubs are run is very dark.
But hey, soccer is getting worse and worse, starting with a World Cup that was plagued in its designation to Qatar, full of corruption and bribes

ADRI7HO

ADRI7HO

On the road...
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think that they would deduct a point from City, I think a fine might be expected and everything will go on, as it usually happens with the big fish (although Juve are being crushed properly now :unsure:).

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
I don't think that they would deduct a point from City, I think a fine might be expected and everything will go on, as it usually happens with the big fish (although Juve are being crushed properly now :unsure:).

Not sure.

When I cited City had been charged before, I should have noted that it was UEFA who then allowed an appeal and reduced the fine. These charges are levied by the FA and under this process, if the investigating body confirms the corruption then there is no appeal process - City will be sanctioned and have to accept the outcome (all teams are now said to sign a preseason agreement which precludes appeal)

What I can tell you is there are already calls from various parties (admittedly sensationalist) for City if guilty, to be stripped of their titles and cups...then demoted. The fact remains, City have for years claimed their revenues (sponsorship, gate receipts, merchandize sales) have been higher that Manchester United, Real Madrid etc. etc. which is ridiculous as City seldom if ever even sell their ground out.

There is some amount of irritation in the sense this investigation has been going on for years. Why did it take so long? Then the idea that legally City could now be expected to drag the outcome out which could result in this spectre hanging over the league for an extended period.

I see this becoming an extended soap opera.

V

vivili171

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Manchester City had to lose these titles in the years that frauds were made as well as Juventus lost several titles and was still relegated

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Well, as more of this fiasco unravels, it appears there would be a path to appeal and further, Man City could then take the case to the law courts claiming the FA was essentially being unfair and therefore did not have the grounds to punish them. Personally, I would think that was giving themselves a black eye, but, if facing serious consequences, I guess they would have nothing to lose.

Here is an excellent breakdown of the charges and background from the Guardian...

Poker Rules - Poker Games