emk211

emk211

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
If you were God and you had to choose one player to start and be the captain of your all time greatest basketball team, who would it be, if I was a betting man and the Devil is, who would I put all my money on for the Win? Take the shot? Steal the ball? Make a free throw to seal the deal?

The answer to all of the above is MJ.

There is literally only one player that could single handily beat all 5 players by themselves, Detroit had to tackle him, mug him and thug him. MJ playing today would never get touched and could have scored 50 a game, he played defense without fouling, so he could steal and be dunking all game, the guy was a beast on both sides of the court.

He played the game the way we wish we all could. There are many great basketball players before him and after, I watched many of them since I was old enough to know what a basketball was as age 3, and I am qualified to speak on this subject. I will never say he is the greatest of all time, because all time has not stopped, but I will say this, emulate him, pretend to be him, get compared to him and you lose every argument.

Bill Russell was not even the greatest center, he was just fortunate enough to be on a team in a league with very few that could challenge him, team wise, the Celtics were the superteam back them and only had maybe 4 teams that could compete with them. The league was young.

Now they say it is watered down with too many teams and that is why MJ could win the way he did when he did, but the game has evolved, equipment is better, training is better, traveling is easier, for all teams and the draft process allows for bad teams to get better opportunities to get better quicker, MJ would have excelled in any league, at any time, regardless, but it is much harder to win a championship against 30 teams and MJ won 6 with basically 2 different teams.

No, he did not do it alone, but make no mistake about it, he made players around him better because he gave them opportunities to score whenever other teams doubled and tripled him, the entire career MJ never seemed to ever take time off, he was always involved in the play, defensively, offensively, always the focus of attention every play, you just can not say that about any other player.

So, in my lifetime thus far, this is how a rate the top 10 players of the NBA Mount Rushmore, 10- Jerry West, 9- Pete Maravich, 8- Dr.J, 7- Larry Bird, 6- Magic, 5- Bill Russell, 4- Kobe, 3- Shaq, 2- Kareem, and #1 MICHAEL "AIR" JORDAN. This is the list and they had to be retired to make it, before it is over maybe LBJ and Steph and KD make it here.

emk211

emk211

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Whaaaaaat?! What else do you expect James do to make the cut?

Apparently you did not read everything....This is the list and they had to be retired to make it, before it is over maybe LBJ and Steph and KD make it here.

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Apparently you did not read everything....This is the list and they had to be retired to make it, before it is over maybe LBJ and Steph and KD make it here.

Yes, I did read it.

You clearly wrote "maybe" like there was a chance he couldn't make the cut.

why maybe?

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
There are a few folks on this site who likely will take umbrage at your using the word if, might be best in the long run to include an apology in your original post. Just saying.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
"If you were God and you had to choose one player to start and be the captain of your all time greatest basketball team, who would it be,"

Tim Duncan is the correct answer. His humility, reliability, ability to be coached and leadership qualities is what you will need as captain. You will need someone who the players have great respect for with a level head to galvanise the troops when the going gets tough.

MJ/LBJ are two best players we have ever seen neither are great leaders.
MJ once punched his own team mate Steve Kerr. Also he left his team for a year and a half which ever one of the stories you believe (the go play baseball or the gambling problem and commissioner ban him) both are selfish and not what you want for a leader.
LBJ very passive aggressive towards team mates and coaches and also finger pointer. Drama follows him everywhere and creates plenty of distractions and friction in locker room.

So in the game against the devil MJ probably get thrown out for punching someone in the face for not passing him the ball and LBJ team would only have 4 players as one of the players will leave him for being a drama queen.

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The key thing people are overlooking is that he said captain... even if you think mj is the best ever, which he wasnt, he wouldn't be a better captain than someone like magic, or even Isiah thomas who was overlooked completely. This isn't a who is your favorite of all time post. I'd probably even put kobe over my for a captain, and I despise kobe.

FlamengoBR

FlamengoBR

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would choose Magic Johnson.He was the best for me.

bianconi_10

bianconi_10

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Only one Michael Jordan is born every 100 years, it will take a long time for another to appear, until I would say to God, I want this guy on my team.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Michael Jordan was the greatest. My pick it is obvious but the right call.

B

blata8ruga

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Michael Jordan # 1 all time greatest player !!!

S

Synopsis

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm curious why everyone says mj. He wasn't amazingly vocal, which is something you'd want a captain to be. He wasn't a great shooter, and wasn't clutch like so many believe. His game winning shot percentage was lower than his normal field goal percentage (which wasn't even 50 percent to to begin with) so please explain to me how that is clutch. People just remember highlights too much. Dude would shoot 30 plus times to even get 30 points to begin with half the time. He was a above average defender, and a great free throw shooter, besides that he was average at just about every other stat. If you look at his stats, the lower his field goal percent went, the better his teams did. Give that thought.... he was on absolutely loaded teams, with players picked to do their one task above average, designed by the greatest basketball coach ever... I'm not saying he was trash, he was a all star player, and deserved to be. He is just very overrated. He was a flashy player when the NBA got really huge and as I said above, people just look at the highlights, which even those are biased. Go look at the non zoomed in footage of his "iconic" reverse to the left hand layup. Notice that no one defended him as to all, he had a still open lane, and no one even jumped, it literally is the most overrated play in history. Westbrook does the same type of stuff a few times a game, needlessly also. Look at facts, that being said, cool if he is your favorite ever, but you want him as your captain??? Way more vocal leaders, and way more clutch players to choose from. Go look at the all time greats, and look at the teams winning percentage the year after they leftcan compare to him. The bulls almost made the finals the year he went to go play baseball. Pippin almost won mvp that year. Give those things thought too... so tired of seeing 1 sentence mj replies on these forums.

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I've got to take LeBron. He's a better passer, shooter, rebounder, driver than MJ and these days players have so much more skill due to how prominent the 3 pointer is. There were no 7 foot freaks of nature playing like a point guard back in MJ's day and its not his fault. It's the simple fact of evolution, people get better so of course I would expect players in this generation to be better. I'd even say peak Durant is better than MJ simply because he's an unguardable 7 footer that can lock up on defense due to his length and tremendous mobility for being 7 feet. People always say the old era was way more physical, but you can't tell me the most durable player in the history of sports in LeBron who is built like a tank couldn't play back then.

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
DR. J is my idol but i agree MJ is the goat not LBJ.

Hey, they all got the J.... LOL

kraemer

kraemer

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I am god... So I choose Stephen Hawking. Heck, I am god... I can even make him a great player...