Ideas and suggestions on a new UCL format

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
IMO, set tiers to UEFA ranking n pick top 10 clubs, the rest are the winner and runner up from each country, San Marino or England, it doesnt matter, these clubs play home/away knock out, then one lucky loser is chosen to compete in the second qualif round. then a third qualif round until 14 teams are left, the top ten teams are than added so now we have 24 teams. we devide them into two groups in an actual league format with away and home games and 24 weeks of football. after the 24 weeks are over, there will be play offs to determine the winner. first teams from each group qualify automatically to the playoffs while runner up faces the third from the opposing league. so eventually we can have the four teams that will play semis and final.
If top 10 were to drop pts they'r penalized e.g. Barca draws vs 2nd Tier, Barca gets -ax, vs 3rd tier, -bx, 2nd tier team gets +ax etc. Releg/qualif to tiers & any team can qualify to first tier, which is top ten if they deserve it.
If a team from top ten wins domestic league, then the cup winner and league runner up are to qualify, in the event that the said team wins league and cup, then runner up and third are to qualify.

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm surprised no-one else has offered suggestions on this.
If I had my way I'd revert back to the old Champions Cup, Cup Winners Cup and UEFA Cup but there's not enough money to be had from that so the G14 wouldn't allow it.
If we must have non-champions in it, I would do something radical - I'd split the tournament in to 2 sections. One would be of clubs from the nations that have several participants (England, Spain, Italy, germany, france etc), the other would be teams who only have 1 entry, the ones you see in the summer qualifiers.
Don't know how many teams that would leave in each. Section 2 can be knock-out only if need be. Section 1 can have a group stage - clearly these teams are only interested in money spinning ties against each other anyway. Either way, the final of each section would be a 2 legged tie. The winners then play each other in a one off game. The final should be a formality for the team from section one, but you never know - a one-off game, anything can happen.
This way, it gives the teams who would normally be made up to reach the group stage a realistic chance of winning the tournament - it at least means they have a proper european season instead of it being over before the end of August.
It means more money spinning games for the "elite". It also means they can't moan about the long journeys to eastern europe, although i've no doubt they'll moan about something else instead.
And with the Section one final being over 2 legs, it should mean more excitement and a less cagey affair (which a lot of finals have been lately).

W

we will rock you

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
1st and 2nd place in the your league yourr in pot 1 so and so for each team

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips
There will be more matches in the new format.. more matches means more incomes not just for the clubs but also for the greedy asociation who is UEFA.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
2 sections. One would be of clubs from the nations that have several participants (England, Spain, Italy, Germany, France etc), the other would be teams who only have 1 entry, the ones you see in the summer qualifiers.
Who will watch the second section except the fans of each team? I mean I dont watch netherlands, Portuguese, Russian Championship, let alone Danes or Lithuanian championship, there would be no revenue man.
but you never know - a one-off game, anything can happen.
We know, the team from section 2 would play low block, will defend and if they can they will put 2 goalies, football isnt about rewarding the weak teams, but helping them to grow and thrive.
This way, it gives the teams who would normally be made up to reach the group stage a realistic chance of winning the tournament - it at least means they have a proper european season instead of it being over before the end of August.
Only teams from the second tier countries will be able to compete, e.g. Ajax, Donetsk, Porto, St Petersburg, Besiktas ... So you improved their chances but changes nothing for smaller leagues.

peaceofcoke

peaceofcoke

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There will be more matches in the new format.. more matches means more incomes not just for the clubs but also for the greedy asociation who is UEFA.
Which doesnt mean more quality, it is as if u added much rocks to ur whiskey, it will taste awefull, but without rocks u will not dissolute alcohol. Small teams are needed, but more teams arent.

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Who will watch the second section except the fans of each team?

Yeah, that's something I didn't think about! I'm not sure how many teams currently qualify via the "champions route" but the 2nd tier teams you mentioned are usually in the group stages of either this or the Europa and are therefore receiving the TV revenue and the exposure. Under my system only the 2nd tier team to get that would be the one who makes the final
(the only way round it would be to have section one playing on Tuesday and section two playing on Wednesday in the hope that football fans will still tune in......but then the section one clubs would protest this as they'd be missing out on more TV revenue- we've already got the 2 legged round-of-16 being played over 5 weeks because of this!.....OK, scratch that idea.....Reverting back to the old 3 competitions it is then)

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Not good for me is the new format, but prefer to watch Champions League than Super League. But the format is not good.

V

valeski 28

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Good afternoon.Why will UEFA change the present format ?.In my opinion it is a good one, ,32 teams is the perfect number for this competition..