How to get yourself into the Olympics with very little skill

burton_boy

burton_boy

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
This is awesome... and terrible... Way to beat the system.
Sad that some talented folks missed out, but good on her for knowing the rules.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
My Olympic Dream is still alive!

From a Canadian (CTV) story:
The 33-year-old Swaney, who lives in Los Angeles, squeaked her way into the Olympic competition by gaming the qualification system as a competitor for Hungary, where her grandparents were born.
Swaney spent the last two years participating in World Cup competitions with relatively few participants, so she could give herself a good shot at finishing in the top 30 at each event. All she had to do was avoid falling so she could finish ahead of those who did, and she eventually climbed high enough in the rankings to stamp her ticket for Pyeongchang....

...Swaney briefly attempted to ski for Venezuela, her mother’s home country, before shifting her Olympic allegiances to Hungary.

This was my plan to catch MTCashman in the CC Leaderboard standings. I was going to play every freeroll and get a point, but the CC Leaderboard is harder to game than the Hungarian side of the International Skiing Federation.

Last edited:
terryk

terryk

TheCanuckwithalltheluck
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Nice jeans! :shot:

imhighhommie

imhighhommie

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Lol this is absolute greatness

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Great way to travel and enjoy the Olympics! If she qualified then she qualified! Enough said!

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I read this article earlier today! I mean it's pretty crazy, and more deserving athletes were left out, but it's like that coach who knows the rule-book inside out. She did everything legally, and if anyone has a problem with what she did, they need to change the rules for eligibility!

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My Olympic Dream is still alive!

From a Canadian (CTV) story:
The 33-year-old Swaney, who lives in Los Angeles, squeaked her way into the Olympic competition by gaming the qualification system as a competitor for Hungary, where her grandparents were born.
Swaney spent the last two years participating in World Cup competitions with relatively few participants, so she could give herself a good shot at finishing in the top 30 at each event. All she had to do was avoid falling so she could finish ahead of those who did, and she eventually climbed high enough in the rankings to stamp her ticket for Pyeongchang....

...Swaney briefly attempted to ski for Venezuela, her mother’s home country, before shifting her Olympic allegiances to Hungary.

This was my plan to catch MTCashman in the CC Leaderboard standings. I was going to play every freeroll and get a point, but the CC Leaderboard is harder to game than the Hungarian side of the International Skiing Federation.

LOL

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Some Countries with no Ice or Snow are doing this. Some Brazilians tried to qualify to the Olympics and a few did. They shouldn´t be there. Normally finished in last place just a big shame and waste of money. Sad news.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
The aforementioned competitor has brought shame to our small country, but perhaps this is the reason for balancing the "balance".
https://dailynewshungary.com/breaking-news-hungarian-gold-2018-olympic-winter-games/

Is there really a sense of shame? She just took an available spot that would have been empty if she had not. I can't imagine that many kids in Hungary grow up with a life goal of being an olympic halfpipe snowboarder. There's no shame that.

Some Countries with no Ice or Snow are doing this. Some Brazilians tried to qualify to the Olympics and a few did. They shouldn´t be there. Normally finished in last place just a big shame and waste of money. Sad news.

For sure, worldwide events like this are strange. Look at canada in the football world cup. We have battled hard and managed to qualify a couple of times. Problem is there were many countries from other continents that had MUCH better teams but could not qualify.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there really a sense of shame? She just took an available spot that would have been empty if she had not. I can't imagine that many kids in Hungary grow up with a life goal of being an olympic halfpipe snowboarder. There's no shame that.

For Hungary I see ok, they have snow, Ice, Winter ! But for Brazilians is see as a shame and waist of money.

For sure, worldwide events like this are strange. Look at Canada in the football world cup. We have battled hard and managed to qualify a couple of times. Problem is there were many countries from other continents that had MUCH better teams but could not qualify.

To qualify for the World Cup Canada can make it. Panama, Costa Rica, Honduras, Jamaica did it. They should start with the kids, little leagues, motivate them since school and grouw from there. A national league with Professionals is important. Some players start going to play in Europe, stronger leagues and get better. On a few years Canada can make it to the World Cup. Another nice example is Iceland. Very small Country, hard winter also and they are doing very well on Soccer. They did very good on last Euro Cup and qualified to this World Cup. Canada can definly do it. They just need to put their mind and efford on it.