Is financial Fair Play still a thing?

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

KUN_AGUERO_KROOS

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chelsea has just signed Enzo Fernandez for €121m and Mykhaylo Mudryk for another €70m (can be 100m with contract bonus).

I thought Financial fair play would stop clubs spending those absurd amount of money on new players, but things are actually getting worse.

What is going on here?

Images 4

G0930

G0930

Captain Fathermucker, Satty Aficionado
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
AT
Chips
Chelsea has just signed Enzo Fernandez for €121m and Mykhaylo Mudryk for another €70m (can be 100m with contract bonus).

I thought Financial fair play would stop clubs spending those absurd amount of money on new players, but things are actually getting worse.

What is going on here?

View attachment 322967
Sure seems that way . It is truly an eternal loop.
And an accurate example of human nature I think 🙄

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Would be a great game if it weren't for all them greedy damn players eh?

D

DS3

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
For all the perceived Financial Fair Play huffing and puffing, it remains a joke.

Earlier in the month when Chelsea were signalling another massive spend, I checked on the last round of fines which had been levied by UEFA in September 2022. As usual a total of 172 million euros have been fakely brandished, as the eight clubs fined only had to pay 26 million euros between them, the 172M being a fictitious ballooned figure if they don't pay the fine promptly. Paris St. Germain the biggest offender paid 10 million - the pretend figure was 65M- a laughable amount that would be a fraction of any player they might buy. Further these fines dated back to a few seasons before which lets the team skirt the law and then profit from the players on their books for several seasons before facing the wrath of UEFA if at all.

19 other clubs (such as Man City and Chelsea) avoided fines because of 'relief measures' (covid) which UEFA themselves instituted - you can't make this up. So, for anyone paying a little close attention, the idea that FFP has been effective to curb spending is a laughable notion.

Regarding Todd Boehly and the obscene Chelsea spend (clever as it amortizes the spend over 8 years which will now be 'banned' next season), whilst the average football fan is intensely annoyed by this my view is there are many within the industry which really like this. It underlines that the Premier League is the monster earner on the global sports stage and people enjoy the swag of it all. UEFA and many PL executives are fine with all other national leagues and clubs being little more than feeder clubs for the PL if these clubs come knocking. And, there is nothing to dissuade sovereign wealth funds and billionaires from thinking this is a really interesting investment play (especially in the PL) in regards that billionaires have mopped up all the US sports franchises (NFL, NBA etc) for decades already.

It's gross but unavoidable.

My own perspective? Clubs need to get their scouting act together like the brilliantly run Brighton and Hove Albion. Find the uncut gem players, bring them in for a few million, develop and sell them on for tens of millions in profit. For all the hundreds of million spent this window, many have said investing a few millions in each teams scouting system would make for a much better investment that buying some players.

great_young

great_young

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
In theory, it is. In practice, it's not (onfortunately). It's important who makes the rules and who controls obeying the rules.