Chess and Poker - is there a correlation here?

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi all,

I play chess, i play poker and by doing so, i recognise that both activities release a similar feeling within myself.
Tactics for me really improve if i play chess before i play poker for some reason, im looking ahead and planning my next move, this reflects my actions when i c bet or whatever action i deem to be best play..
Do you play any games that seem to give you an edge or act as great preparation for poker?

Let us all know what works well for you!

Cheers

pirateglenn:)

S

shurikataman

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also play chess !! And helps not to hurry and ponder the moves in poker-)))

Luvart

Luvart

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GR
Chips
There are a lot of solid chess players who have turned to become solid poker players too.

I'm not a chess player, but I think the most crucial commonality between chess and poker is the concept of "pattern recognition".

Also, about 1.5 year ago I played a bit of Hearthstone and I found commonalities with poker too, like the ability to "read" your opponent and the concept of pattern recognition as i mentioned before.

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
There's definitely some similarities in terms of applying problem solving skills and strategy.

There's some key differences too though, obviously. Most prominently, chess is a game of "complete" information (you can see all the pieces at all times), whereas poker is a game of incomplete information (you don't know your opponent's cards, or which cards will come next).

E

Evtimiv

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
By playing chess you learn how to keep calm, think of you next move and imagine what would you do in worst-scenario. Poker is the same you have to think before you act and sometimes take risks because poker is a game of risks

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I don´t usually play chees but it is intersting game. You have total control what´s happening on this game. Everything is on the board.
No lucky factor like Poker, 52 cards, 9 players, chips and many other points.
But it is a very good strategy and mental game for sure. Who plays in high level my respects !

8bod8

8bod8

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
correlations?
both have kings and queens:rock:

N

Nico_ico_404

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
also play chess) and I think it does not help in poker. Because poker is work with probabilities first of all, while in chess everything is definitely!

krisi77

krisi77

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I also noticed that before poker I played chess
I'm getting better in my opinion because chess improves concentration

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I see why you may think certain aspects of the game are similar, but at its core, as someone who has played both, I think they are really different.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

I feel that they are similar. They are both pretty complicated games with many different approaches. I don't play much chess these days because I spend most of my free time playing poker.

H

hayden1009

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I would think they have many correlations as far as thought process, trying to see a strategy and get into the head of your opponent. The area they differ is normally in chess you play within your skill level and blind luck is rarely a factor.

Y

yuroktexas84

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have 2450 rating on chess.com I'm ready to play if anyone has at least 2300 )

kratos

kratos

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm not a fan of chess but I was forced to learn it.My father insisted too much for me to play chess so I learned it just because my father forced me.But I don't see similarities.In chess you decide what to do while in poker you have to count with luck.But I agree that both have kings and queens and traps.

Edison A

Edison A

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I do not think they are the same, they are very different games, in a tournament you play many hands and in chess only one, I do not know, it's my point of view

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I think that having good knowledge and experience in chess - could only help you in poker!

I remember, several years ago, the former World Champion in chess - won a large amount in a Poker Tournament - I just do not have time to google it up - it is matter of Veselin Topalov - maybe 3-4 years ago ...

xpvictor1

xpvictor1

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Chess and Poker - not for people in a hurry

Hurry causes worry, when you stack is gone.
Only patience wins consistently.

Dejange

Dejange

CC Delija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
BG
Chips
I think that having good knowledge and experience in chess - could only help you in poker!

I remember, several years ago, the former World Champion in chess - won a large amount in a Poker Tournament - I just do not have time to google it up - it is matter of Veselin Topalov - maybe 3-4 years ago ...

An article related to chess players winnings in poker: http://www.sunstar.com.ph/article/19123/

Topalov's earnings only mentioned, and he is not the leader :eek: There are few with 7 digits amounts :D

VITOS

VITOS

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
So, let's deal at first with chess why they so in honor. First, it is their visibility, I mean that it is a game with full information when all players see the courses and actions of the rival. In principle, chess unlike poker is a game where it is simply impossible to deceive the rival. Secondly, the psychology is very important - there is no more annoying and nasty feeling probably, than loss in chess. In this plan chess arrests to themselves the person increases probability of a prize much more as the person connects himself with the intelligence what you will not tell about poker because what professional you would not be your abilities only but will not affect a release of the necessary map in any way. The poker is just a game, and the most amusing that in this game you can make money literally of air.