CardsChat fam, I need your opinions DESPERATELY!

Karozi615

Karozi615

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey CardsChat peeps! I need your help with something. I've been put into a bit of an awkward situation and I would like some outside opinions. With that being said, I value the opinions of some of you quite a bit - and hearing objective thoughts from outsiders who have no stake in this will be super beneficial to me. I am going to describe in detail what happened and why I personally take issue. I would like you to tell me why I am validated, not validated, or if there is missing information.

I was invited to join a 10 person fantasy baseball league in April, by one of my best friends (who was not the commissioner) He told me he thought it was going to be a 50$ league and they needed one more spot filled. Sounds fun! After joining and drafting, we started to briefly discuss payouts in chat. 3 of the 10 members of the league suggested payouts. I said 50, another said 75, and the 3rd agreed with 50. This conversation was seen by everyone, and 7 of the 10 members decided not to give input. The commissioner also elected not to set a price for the league, which is completely fine, After no payouts were posted and no price was set, I noticed engagement in the league dropped a lot. 4 of the members never even checked their line ups or updated anything. Anyhow, my team was in first for almost the entire season, which was very exciting. I also had the most points in the league. I assumed the league was not a money league because no payouts were posted, but I had to be sure. I asked the commissioner on 6/1 to post the payouts. He saw my message and refused to do so and did not say that the league had a buy in. I thought that was odd because he wasn't in the playoffs and his team was doing badly. I asked AGAIN on 8/26, right before the playoffs just to be sure that this was not a money league. At this point half the league had quit, I was in 1st, and totally okay with it being not a money league. He saw my message on 8/26 and did not respond. Nobody involved did. Fast forward to the playoffs and he beats me in the semi-finals. Now I receive a private message asking for 75$ (unless I win my 3rd place match up). 75$ is an arbitrary number that was never discussed. From my prospective, I made multiple inquires about the prize pool and received no response. the league commissioner only decided to collect an arbitrary made up amount of money when he made it to the finals. For the record, I still don't know what 1st, 2nd, and 3rd get. I consulted other people in the league who were also confused and shocked by this. I believe that because payouts were never posted, never voted on, and never discussed, there should not be a random number decided after the commissioner of the league makes the finals. I also think its important to note that I asked on 6/1 and 8/26 about payouts and received no response. I think the league commissioner is trying to see what he can get away with and if people will send him money and I am absolutely not okay with that. Sorry for the long post but I really need community arbitration on this and I trust the input of the longtime posters on this site tremendously.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate all input. Also, if the community here reaches a conclusion that I should payout the buy in fee I will certainly do that.

bstyles85

bstyles85

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You got ripped off. It's very unfortunate. Cut your losses and never play in that league again.

Or, you could break some car windows with a baseball bat for some kind of revenge.

The choice is yours.

suit2please

suit2please

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You asked multiple times and got no response. The amount was never agreed upon. I'd tell him you weren't giving him any money since you had asked multiple times and never got an answer, he can't just make up a price at the end when he wins.

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I am thoroughly confused. Please define "payout" as it pertains to and contrasts with "buy in". How can a "free" fantasy league have payouts?

dbchristy

dbchristy

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Exactly..what
suit2please said! Some people just can't play honest. My late hubby got scammed on one of those! Karma will come back around

Matt Vaughan

Matt Vaughan

King of Moody Rants
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Here's my understanding from what you described.

1. Money to enter the league was discussed but amount was never settled upon.
2. You never paid money to participate in this league.
3. After trying to confirm whether there would be payouts involved (when no payments had been made up front), you didn't get responses.
4. After no money being paid up front, and nothing explicit stated about the amounts that the payouts would be or require for entry from each participant, the commissioner is now asking you PERSONALLY for $75?

I don't see any reason you'd be on the hook for the money, and I definitely don't think you should send any. This guy isn't your friend right? It's someone your friend knows who runs this league?

It honestly sounds somewhere between horrible communication and an outright scam. Don't give them money, especially if others are in agreement with you that you shouldn't.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would have to agree with all who have responded here. You may also report the player to support of the sight the league is on. Maybe he will think twice about trying to pull the wool over your eyes. Good luck on how you handle the issue!

lsbenn

lsbenn

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would give this guy ZILCH!!!
Not 1 red cent.
The whole thing seems to revolve around who wins.
If you happen to be the winner then it would be a free league and you would only get bragging rights.
He is scamming you.

hugh blair

hugh blair

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Got an mail today from a nigerian prince saying I won a million dollars for draw I never entered all I got to do is send him 100 dollars yay I am rich lol.:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:

C

Chemist

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
All 10 people should have paid in 50 or 75 before the league started.
If that didn't happen then there can't be any prize pool, which should have been 500 or 750 divided between the top 3 or whatever.
Did the commissioner ask the other 9 for $75? And what do they think? Is anyone else paying the entry fee now?

Bricxjo

Bricxjo

Just some happy guy
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
Buy your best friend a 6 pack and cut ties with everyone else. Probably never see those other guys again? But so what?

mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
I still do not understand why you were asking what the payout would be in a league that was free. Maybe you just annoyed the guy , and now he's getting back at you.

Maybe this is a joke. "You keep asking me how much money you're going to make in our free game when you're in first? Then I'm going to ask you to pay me when I'm in first!"

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
You don't owe him a cent.

:bandit:
I still do not understand why you were asking what the payout would be in a league that was free. Maybe you just annoyed the guy , and now he's getting back at you.

Maybe this is a joke. "You keep asking me how much money you're going to make in our free game when you're in first? Then I'm going to ask you to pay me when I'm in first!"
There was talk of an entry fee and prizes, as no entry fee was paid or accepted no agreement was reached.

:top:

Last edited:
mtl mile end

mtl mile end

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
You don't owe him a cent.

:bandit:
There was talk of an entry fee and prizes, as no entry fee was paid or accepted no agreement was reached.

:top:
Oh I completely agree that OP owes nothing. I'm just trying to figure out why he kept asking how much he'd make if he won.

This reminds me of a fantasy football experience I had on a poker chip site. We all agreed that it would be for fun and not money. I even said "I'm glad we're playing for fun because I'm broke". At the end of the season, some people sent the winner "gifts" - a nice gesture, I thought. After a few weeks, the winner and people who sent him stuff started naming the participants who hadn't sent him anything in order to shame them into giving. People are weird.

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
for me, you definitely do not have to pay anything. If they never established the entrance and neither the prizes it is understood that it is only by diversion.
I think it's a complete scam what they did.

now if it was agreed that it was with buy-in and with prizes, it should have been announced once all the teams were registered, otherwise it is a scam.

Zorba

Zorba

Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
AQ
Chips
After a few weeks, the winner and people who sent him stuff started naming the participants who hadn't sent him anything in order to shame them into giving. People are weird.
They sure are, there's no shame in not doing something you didn't agree to.

;)

orchidra

orchidra

Allan with two Owls
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
NZ
Chips
If the guy is serious, then he is definitely a scammer. You own him nothing.

There was talk of an entry fee and prizes, as no entry fee was paid or accepted no agreement was reached. :top:
Exactly.

Got an mail today from a nigerian prince saying I won a million dollars for draw I never entered all I got to do is send him 100 dollars yay I am rich lol.:hahaha::hahaha::hahaha:
I'm rich too. I got the same email. Sent my $100 this morning. The $1,000,000 should be in my account by the end of the week.

T

TDTODDY

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I suggest doing exactly as he did, ignore him. If he wants the money he should have been upfront.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
You don't owe him anything! It's a bunch of bull

Joe

Joe

99.98% Kiln dried
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Ask him for $75 too...

Not for the fantasy league results or anything, just in general...

Also, can I have $75 as well?

tw082

tw082

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
do you think he would have paid you had you won, from what im reading doesnt sound like it. I think you should send him 75 cents just as an insult. because he is definitely trying to get one over on you.

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Hey CardsChat peeps! I need your help with something. I've been put into a bit of an awkward situation and I would like some outside opinions. With that being said, I value the opinions of some of you quite a bit - and hearing objective thoughts from outsiders who have no stake in this will be super beneficial to me. I am going to describe in detail what happened and why I personally take issue. I would like you to tell me why I am validated, not validated, or if there is missing information.

I was invited to join a 10 person fantasy baseball league in April, by one of my best friends (who was not the commissioner) He told me he thought it was going to be a 50$ league and they needed one more spot filled. Sounds fun! After joining and drafting, we started to briefly discuss payouts in chat. 3 of the 10 members of the league suggested payouts. I said 50, another said 75, and the 3rd agreed with 50. This conversation was seen by everyone, and 7 of the 10 members decided not to give input. The commissioner also elected not to set a price for the league, which is completely fine, After no payouts were posted and no price was set, I noticed engagement in the league dropped a lot. 4 of the members never even checked their line ups or updated anything. Anyhow, my team was in first for almost the entire season, which was very exciting. I also had the most points in the league. I assumed the league was not a money league because no payouts were posted, but I had to be sure. I asked the commissioner on 6/1 to post the payouts. He saw my message and refused to do so and did not say that the league had a buy in. I thought that was odd because he wasn't in the playoffs and his team was doing badly. I asked AGAIN on 8/26, right before the playoffs just to be sure that this was not a money league. At this point half the league had quit, I was in 1st, and totally okay with it being not a money league. He saw my message on 8/26 and did not respond. Nobody involved did. Fast forward to the playoffs and he beats me in the semi-finals. Now I receive a private message asking for 75$ (unless I win my 3rd place match up). 75$ is an arbitrary number that was never discussed. From my prospective, I made multiple inquires about the prize pool and received no response. the league commissioner only decided to collect an arbitrary made up amount of money when he made it to the finals. For the record, I still don't know what 1st, 2nd, and 3rd get. I consulted other people in the league who were also confused and shocked by this. I believe that because payouts were never posted, never voted on, and never discussed, there should not be a random number decided after the commissioner of the league makes the finals. I also think its important to note that I asked on 6/1 and 8/26 about payouts and received no response. I think the league commissioner is trying to see what he can get away with and if people will send him money and I am absolutely not okay with that. Sorry for the long post but I really need community arbitration on this and I trust the input of the longtime posters on this site tremendously.

Thank you for your time and I appreciate all input. Also, if the community here reaches a conclusion that I should payout the buy in fee I will certainly do that.
Hi. WOW .... That's some BS right there !!!! I would NOT send that creep any money of any kind. I'm a huge fan tasty football fan and have played for 10 years, but I play in free leagues with my buddies. I mentioned that because aren't the players supposed to put up the money BEFORE the season starts so this kind of shady stuff doesn't happen? Anyways, good luck with everything, but that sounds as shady as can be. Take care :bebored:

Gamebreakr25

Gamebreakr25

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Ha Ha Ha !!! You mean that it's not real .... Dang. I already sent my $100 to Nigeria lol. Hilarious !!! :D