Best Pitcher in Major League Baseball?

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I am a long suffering Met fan. Year after year, they are usually out of the running come June. (of course this year is different, the season didnt start until July)

But there is one bright spot and its this guy named Jacob deGrom. I believe he is the best pitcher in baseball right now. He has won the Cy Young Award 2 years in a row and the way things are going he could win it again this year.

I just found out today that he was actually a shortstop in college his first 2 years and didnt start pitching until his 3rd year of college. Just amazing. At least there is something that Mets fans can look forward to.

P

PokerSki

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This season I am not really sure

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Theres a lot of aces out there, but only one Jacob deGrom

P

PrinceJigger

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I want deGrom to grow his hair long again. :D

619Leafs

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In this era not a lot of true aces. My picks would be Jacob deGrom and Gerrit Cole.

M

mike1113

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Gotta be Degrom but Cole is closing in on 2nd. Keep eye out for Bieber

36yankees

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Cole and degrom are the best pitchers in baseball

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Bieber heh?
I got to learn more about him

S

stil370

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Jacob DeGrom for the Cy Young Award

Jacob deGrom by far. :rolleyes::rolleyes:

Well, today is Jacob DeGrom's last start of the year and I will be rooting for him to win his 3rd consecutive cy young award..

This guy is amazing. So many times this season, I have seen him pitch 6 innings or so and strike out 12 batters and give up one run. After having the pleasure of watching him more this season than in others, makes me believe he is actually underrated, much better than I ever thought..

He throws 98mph and the ball seems to explode out of his hand. Hitting against him is a tall task for any batter..

The other thing I found out about him this year, which you have to admire, is that he has a great work ethic, constantly working out, always trying to find ways to become a better pitcher.

A true professional!!
:stupido:

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Gah_JEC_13_Joi

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, today is Jacob DeGrom's last start of the year and I will be rooting for him to win his 3rd consecutive cy young award..

This guy is amazing. So many times this season, I have seen him pitch 6 innings or so and strike out 12 batters and give up one run. After having the pleasure of watching him more this season than in others, makes me believe he is actually underrated, much better than I ever thought..

He throws 98mph and the ball seems to explode out of his hand. Hitting against him is a tall task for any batter..

The other thing I found out about him this year, which you have to admire, is that he has a great work ethic, constantly working out, always trying to find ways to become a better pitcher.

A true professional!!

Tough for him with pitcher facing only NL Central hitters.

gabryyyel31

gabryyyel31

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
RO
Chips

A true professional!!

You're so right buddy. He's a model for kids and not only and it's a real pleasure of watching him. ;)

T

tommyboobaa

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm a Strasburg guy, but gotta admit deGrom is the best right now. Too bad he plays for the Mutts.:thefinger

M

Mike491

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Of course its Jacob DeGrom. He's won the Cy Young award the last 2 years and he was great again this year.

ajtrevor

ajtrevor

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think Verlander is still one of the best in the game.

M

mike1113

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I agree Degrom, but Cole has a chance to surpass him with another crazy year in 2021 and there are up and comers like Shane Bieber to watch out for. Other outside shots to take over in the next 2-5 years are Buehler, Sixto Sanchez, Flaherty, Soroka, etc

Shumkoolie

Shumkoolie

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think Verlander is still one of the best in the game.

Before the injury, Verlander made a great late career resurgence with Houston. Their philosophy on pitching is extremely scientific, placing more importance on factors such as spin rate on a ball, which influences its movement than velocity.

He, in my opinion, if he were to never pitch another inning of big league baseball, which is a possibility given the severity of his injury (he requires Tommy John surgery), is a no doubt Hall of Famer. He checks off one of the traditional milestones for a Hall of Fame Pitcher - 3000 Strikeouts, but other things on his resume that need to be accounted for:

Rookie of the Year
2 Cy Young Awards (3 other times a runner up)
1 MVP Award
8 All-Star Games

Then, if you go to Baseball Reference, there's one other measure, created by Jay Jaffe called the JAWS System. Based on that metric, Verlander's a no brainer Hall of Famer as he is firmly ranked in the middle of all Starting Pitchers in the Hall of Fame. 3 of the 10 pitchers who have the highest similarity score to him are Hall of Famers (Pedro Martinez, Roy Halladay and Catfish Hunter).

I'm not a Tigers/Astros fan, but he's had an impressive career, and hopefully he'll be able to recover and pitch again, but if not, he will most certainly have his name called 5 years after his career is over for Hall of Fame induction.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Seems like there is no clear cut guy for very long in mlb anymore but a bunch that are all in the running for a few years until the next few take over