Any tips for a noob on creating an NFL fantasy team?

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
This will be my 2nd or 3rd time participating in a small friendly fantasy football league arrangement and while I don't watch much American football, I enjoy the challenge and a fun small gamble.

That said, I think I came in last or second to last the previous season and want to try to up the skills a bit and get 1.) better idea of how to select picks during the draft and 2.) basics on when/how to update rosters during the season. The league is maybe 10-12 teams.

Anyone got any tips or suggestions?

Thanks!

Kenzie 96

Kenzie 96

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
A thorough understanding of the new helmet rule is the #1 requirement. :confused::)

N

NoETdrizzle

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My tips for this years draft:
1. Get a RB with your first pick (unless you are getting Antonio Brown somewhere at pick 4 or after) A good tier 1 RB is the most important fantasy position

2. Wait on a QB don't be tempted to get Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady in the 4th round. Keep stacking up on good receivers and RB that will carry your team, because you can always get like a Matt stafford or matt ryan in the 10th round who will put up plenty of points for you to win.

3. Save the last 3 rounds for kicker and special teams with the kicker always going in the last round.

4. Look for rookies that could have a lucky breakout season late in the draft for a potential huge steal pick

5. A guy like Josh Gordon is high risk high reward this year. You can get him as your 2nd best WR and have him not be as good as before or get suspended again, But there's also a chance you draft him in the 40s as your WR2 and he ends up a top 5 WR on the season.

Hope my tips helped.

ribbybruno

ribbybruno

Skadoosh!!
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
1. Get a RB with your first pick (unless you are getting Antonio Brown somewhere at pick 4 or after) A good tier 1 RB is the most important fantasy position

2. Wait on a QB don't be tempted to get Aaron Rodgers or Tom Brady in the 4th round. Keep stacking up on good receivers and RB that will carry your team, because you can always get like a Matt stafford or matt ryan in the 10th round who will put up plenty of points for you to win.

3. Save the last 3 rounds for kicker and special teams with the kicker always going in the last round.

4. Look for rookies that could have a lucky breakout season late in the draft for a potential huge steal pick

5. A guy like Josh Gordon is high risk high reward this year. You can get him as your 2nd best WR and have him not be as good as before or get suspended again, But there's also a chance you draft him in the 40s as your WR2 and he ends up a top 5 WR on the season.

Hope my tips helped.

Excellent advice!

I may add about Bye weeks. Draft player at positions with different Bye weeks. Example - WR Bye 4th week - I don't want to draft another receiver with a Bye in the 4th week. Both players would be sitting out in the same week.

Good luck!

A

Ando37

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips

Hope my tips helped.

Yeah I cant disagree with any of this.

Wait on a QB, the later you can wait and pick up a Ryan, Rivers, even a Manning or Dalton! RBs and WRs are too important.

I personally don't worry too much about bye weeks, by the time they come around your team is likely to look different anyway with injuries etc.

I recommend looking into creating tiers for players by position. So you know if there is 1 tier two WR left and 3 tier one RBs left, you really need to be taking the WR and pick up one of the RBs on the way back around.

Don't over value rookie WRs or TEs.

Don't be scared to draft older, experienced pros. Lynch, Fitz etc.

Other than that, just have fun and enjoy the draft and then the season!

gedzshadow

gedzshadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Do some research on sleeper picks. There are tons of posts out there about guys to look for late in the draft. If you hit on one of these guys it can make your year. Even if you don't know them. Alot of times it someone off an injury or a guy changing teams. You can do a lot of good here.

Work the waiver wire....work it work it work it. I've won many a number of leagues by being the first to pickup a guy in week 2 or 3 who starts in replacement of an injured player.

Max Diver

Max Diver

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Is there a prize money on this NFL fantasy team ??
Cheers,
M.D.

theothermj

theothermj

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Also, make sure you understand the scoring in the league.

jho

jho

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
TBH be active in the waiver wire, especially after week 1. There are lots of potential gems to assignment your team

quick

quick

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Thanks for the tips all. Only lost the first week by 50 points haha. Currently working with a friend to get some more refinements in place for some trades soon.

E

emirlidan

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Is this a standard league or ppr?

Keep an eye tuesdays for available players that may get a better opportunity due to a team mate being injured and try to pick up said players

Most places will post helpful articles on waiver wire pickups

Debi

Debi

Forum Admin
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
Chips
When someone offers you a trade there is a 95% chance it is a way better deal for them than it is for you.

gedzshadow

gedzshadow

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Thanks for the tips all. Only lost the first week by 50 points haha. Currently working with a friend to get some more refinements in place for some trades soon.

For key positions you should maintain 2 viable starters and really try and look at match ups.

A few things I do. Kickers are really easy to drop and pick up. Most of the time you can predict a kickers performance based on the competition. QBs usually the same way. An average QB can score well against a really poor defense and vice versa. If you set your lineup right you can beat teams with better talent by using the matchups.

crimsonblur

crimsonblur

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Here’s a tip, draft Todd Gurley

Also try to look for undervalued players to draft in the later rounds, like ryan Fitzpatrick had an insane week 1 and that rookie qb for the jets played pretty well as well, they could both go in the 5th-7th round in most leagues.

Shrops

Shrops

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Yes

Yes, always draft your kickers late.

Poker Tips