Any chess player in here?

Fernando Lopes

Fernando Lopes

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
BR
Chips
I have a theory that poker players generally do well on a chess board. Both require patience and concentration.šŸ¤“

I was excited about the chess.com Players League, I managed to get to the crystal league, but I ended up getting discouraged, I wasn't able to evolve in my tactics and end games skill, I started playing without concentration and losing many matches.

If anyone wants to play a game, my id on chess.com is OGatoWagner. (Wagner is my cat and he's adorable). šŸ±

Jim Rivas

Jim Rivas

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Hi Fernando, you are absolutely right here, every poker player uses your skills and mental abilities the same in chess and, just like you, I also like to practice chess and in order not to get bored, I always play a little chess and that is how I keep my thinking about different strategies and tactics just like poker. In chess there are also, I am between those two games and others like dominoes to keep my mind active and get out of the routine of always playing Poker. Greetings to your cat Wagner.

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

BetterThanAvgButNotByMuch

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I tried it playing it as a kid and didn't take it serious. I wasn't good and once I realized the amount of studying for openings and endgames to get better then I stopped.

Chess seems a lot more specific with situations than poker and being able to recognize those variations like the openings and endgames and things like knowing how to mate your opponent with certain pieces in the endgame is more involved than most poker situations like playing a hand where its raised big time and you have some bad hand like 62, lol.

Poker is less involved and you can get out a lot of spots in poker without having to know the counter moves in chess.

Put it this way, if you start playing NL holdem or basically any form of poker then each and every poker book would tell you how to play a solid straightforward game like what hands to raise and fold from every position then you would go off into more detailed ideas.

I would guess you could go a lot further knowing general poker concepts and developing your poker game around general concepts than in chess. But I'm guessing because I never got far in chess.

But when you start playing chess its different.

When you start learning those openings and there a more a dozen, a lot more, lol you can buy books on how to play those specific openings, And I mean detailed books not pamphlets on how to play those openings and the variations and how to counter them and they'll go into famous games for examples and it goes on and on. lol.

Compared to poker, no one is going to write a specific book dedicated on how to play 78s or AA in the preflop, lol.

Chess was just too involved for me, lol. I knew it be like dedicating yourself to something like a college degree to become decent in chess and didn't want to do it.

And because of the amount of prize money and competition in poker the same can be said about poker (depending how high you play) as well now which is crazy thinking about how far the best of the best poker players have improved since the 1990s and then how fast beginner poker players can improve today because of the online games.

rifflemao

rifflemao

Pugs Not Drugs
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Iā€™m a beginner and have learned via No Stress Chess which uses a card deck to teach the moves. I absolutely love it but have so much to learn. Still canā€™t beat AI on easy.

lyki67

lyki67

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
BA
Chips
Yes. I played chess 30-40 years ago. Strategy is important by chess and poker.

davidkimtai89

davidkimtai89

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
chess is very excited i also fond of in playing it ,

dreamer13

dreamer13

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
LV
Chips
Both chess and poker have a strong strategic foundation. Although chess and poker have many similarities, two important differences make many chess players play poker. - This is money. There is a lot more money in poker. Poker is much more difficult. To win at chess, it is enough to play chess better than the opponent, to be smarter, more experienced than him. For poker, this is not enough - you need to read the opponent's thoughts and hide your own.

W

wavetune

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I would say not poker players like to play chess, but on the contrary-a lot of chess players like to play poker, a lot of grandmasters play online poker, I've been playing chess since childhood, this is my favorite game, everything depends on you and not on random cards, this is a big difference from poker., I mostly play the Scottish game, on lichess

what is your rating on chess/ com?