A sport for your son or daughter

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
It may sound silly, but I'd like to know if you have or if will had have a child.
will you Encouraging yor child to play a sport?
How would you select the sport? Sería un deporte que te gustaría, o que te gustaría tener en cuenta para seleccionar el deporte?

Thanks for your time:)

OzExorcist

OzExorcist

Broomcorn's uncle
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
My kids aren't quite old enough for this yet: my oldest is four and he does gymnastics at the moment but it's really more as a fun activity at this stage rather than a sport.

Anywho, I'd like to think they can pick their own sports when they're old enough based on whatever they're interested in. I'd prefer it if it wasn't a dangerous sport, but as long as they're being well coached and looked after, at the end of the day it'll be their choice.

Martin

Martin

Scokyl's Scoundrels
Administrator
Total posts
Awards
GB
Chips
Mine picked their own, played football from a young age then when my eldest was 11 and youngest was 7 a kickboxing club opened up close to where we lived, they wanted to try it and were hooked, they've had some successful times over the years, due to work commitments these days they don't fight at competitions any more but at 23 and 19 years old they still train twice a week.

PHX

PHX

Legend
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
TT
Chips
Give them to opportunity to watch/try/experience as many different sports as possible. Let them decide on one for their own self and support them 100%

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
that good listen yours life experiences,
Thank you for sharing them

johnny tigre

johnny tigre

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I love playing ball sports, esp basketball and bowling so i tried teaching my son (who is now 16) since he was 7 to be sports inclined (whatever sports he wants) but he just want to spend all his time in front of his laptop. Now he plays both the sports in the computer. (damn technology) hehehe.

pronaxxx

pronaxxx

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I myself was involved in boxing for 4 years, I have the master of sports, while children do not have but I'd like to give football or dancing)

XXPXXP

XXPXXP

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Indoors...something like wii games.

outdoors...a lot. running, football, soccer, basket ball.etc

V

Vonick

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well I have two daughters and they already have green belt at teakwood.i encouraged them at this sport cause beside the physical train they train their mind and i think it improves their self defense.

brutus

brutus

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
we have 2 daughters and 2 sons, both daughters have always played softball and our oldest son plays baseball and football, and the youngest isn't old enough yet. I've never forced them to play sports but I have encouraged it. Sports teaches many life lessons and long lasting friendships and I feel it is beneficial for them to be involved in sports.

DaveE

DaveE

Solvem probler
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
CA
Chips
Self defense. Just pick one. If they don't like it (a good instructor will make it fun), let them try another.:)

Confidence that will stay with them their whole lives.

D

davem86

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I have an 8 yr old son who loves playing football.
He went to a football camp that is held at our local HS every year just to try things out last yr.
Coach noticed some potential in him and seen he was a quick learner so he let him suit up and take the field with the 3rd grade(he was in 2nd at the time) .
My son was scared at first when he received his pads and was headed to his 1st contact practice.
He was ready to quit but I told him he made it this far and if he doesn't like it by the end of the season he didn't have to play again.
Now me as a father I was super excited because this was his first sport he actually accepted to play.
We tried to get him into soccer basketball and baseball but when signups came around he would shy away and want to "try" another sport.
So pretty much if a kid seems to show interest in the sport do your best to encourage them but dont force them to play a sport

B

Blackout09

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Football Soccer seems to be the most popular to get your kids into.

G

GusTeodoro

Rising Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
Put them in swiming classes, is great for the growing, and the physical condition.
Also can be very fun, if they make classes with other childrem, the are going to make friends.

99TERRANCE99

99TERRANCE99

Legend
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Try and get them into as many as you can afford ,keeps them out of trouble and helps make friends

sakenby

sakenby

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I have three sons and they all play sports.I will never impose on them some sport and they decide that they are closer...the Two older aren't bad in Football,and the younger turned out to be closer to the biathlon...

R

RaviRaju

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
It may sound silly, but I'd like to know if you have or if will had have a child.
will you Encouraging yor child to play a sport?
How would you select the sport? Sería un deporte que te gustaría, o que te gustaría tener en cuenta para seleccionar el deporte?

Thanks for your time:)

Can I add?
If poker - is sport, and i know some peoples who play whith his sons (maybe daughters).
So would you like that your child play whith you?

Last edited:
fletchdad

fletchdad

Jammin................
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Well, you have to realize that you can encourage your children or more or less force them. In my experience, encouragement works much better. In a case of unhealthy weight is one situation where I could see not giving you child a choice, but even then, they need to find something that has the possibility of being something at least somewhat enjoyable. Positive reinforcement also works wonders.

My son (25) has done a lot of different things, now he has a fitness center membership and goes 3-4x a week. He went through soccer, gymnastics and martial arts, to name but a few. My daughter (14) went through ballet and gymnastics and now is in her second year (and 4th belt) of Kung Fu.

IMO, kids NEED to be - and stay - active. But you should let them find their preference on how to do this. It can be expensive, going through different phases, buying outfits, paying membership fees etc. but kids cost....lol.

I also do power walking with my daughter. We try to do 2-3 times a week, we go about 45 minutes through a nearby park with hills, and we are pretty sweat drenched when we get home. But the real advantage of this is we talk a lot while walking (in between panting....) and it has become one of our best times together.

nutthink

nutthink

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
karate judo jui jitsu or any fighting sports maybe help them to protec theyr self when u not there when theyr got some trouble... god bless you all my friend and your family...

eulukaas1

eulukaas1

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I encourage my children to play tennis, soccer ... anything ... but no gambling such as poker course.

albosaltenio

albosaltenio

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Can I add?
If poker - is sport, and i know some peoples who play whith his sons (maybe daughters).
So would you like that your child play whith you?

First I do not consider it to be a sport at all and I would not like to at a young age lose timepo in this game,
Una vez que termines sus estudios, no tendrás ningún problema en aprenderlo bien,
In the meantime I would like they to do real sports, Athletics, tennis, soccer, basketball, martial arts .......

R

Reelmookey

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
i would encurage them to play as much as possible it teaches kids alot of life skills otherise they might not learn like teamwork practice a dedication... personally i would do soccer because i played professionally for 6 years and its my prefered sport, but in your case pick a sport you enjoy to watch and play so you can play with him/her as well