The 57th Annual - Daytona 500

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Daytona 500 - Pole Qualifying has just completed.

This event determines the front row for the Daytona 500, and the starting order for the Daytona Duel races that run Thursday evening.

The Duels Thursday start at 7PM EST and determine the actual starting order of the Daytona 500 less the front row.

Current starting order for the Daytona 500

1. #24 Jeff Gordon
2. #48 Jimmie Johnson
3rd - 43rd TBD

Starting order for the Duels on Thursday.

RACE 1

1. #24 Jeff Gordon
2. #11 Denny Hamlin
3. #18 Kyle Busch
4. #19 Carl Edwards*
5. #3 Austin Dillon
6. #1 Jamie McMurray
7. #83 Johnny Sauter
8. #6 Trevor Bayne
9. #43 Aric Amirola
10. #2 Brad Keselowski
11. #22 Joey Logano
12. #23 J.J. Yeley
13. #27 Paul Menard
14. #47 A.J. Allmendinger
15. #4 Kevin Harvick
16. #14 Tony Stewart
17. #13 Casey Mears
18. #46 Michael Annett*
19. #42 Kyle Larson
20. #95 Michael McDowell
21. #15 Clint Bowyer
22. #29 Justin Marks*
23. #35 Cole Whitt
24. #40 Landon Cassill
25. #30 Ron Hornaday Jr*

RACE 2

1. #48 Jimmie Johnson
2. #20 Matt Kenseth
3. #5 Kasey Kahne
4. #33 Ty Dillon
5. #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr
6. #78 Martin Truex Jr
7. #16 Greg Biffle
8. #9 Sam Hornish Jr
9. #17 Ricky Stenhouse Jr
10. #21 Ryan Blaney
11. #55 Michael Waltrip
12. #32 Bobby Labonte
13. #7 Alex Bowman
14. #31 Ryan Newman
15. #41 Kurt Busch
16. #10 Danica Patrick
17. #62 Brian Scott
18. #51 Justin Allgaier
19. #38 David Gilliland
20. #26 Jeb Burton
21. #44 Reed Sorenson*
22. #34 David Ragan*
23. #98 Josh Wise
24. #66 Mike Wallace

* - Must qualify for the Daytona 500 by racing their way in or speed/champions provisional

Notes:

During Daytona 500 Qualifying Reed Sorenson's #44 car was involved in a wreck during the 1st segment of qualifying, Reed's team did not bring a back up car to Daytona, at this time they are figuring out if they will actually have a car to race in the Duels on Thursday. They do not intend to withdraw from the Duels at this time, but should know soon if they can get a car prepared in time to race.

Daytona 500 lineup (Per JAYSKI)
The two fastest qualifiers during Coors Light Pole Qualifying earn starting positions one and two.
The highest 15 finishers in each Duel race -- excluding the already locked-in front row -- will earn a spot in the Daytona 500, and fill positions 3-32.
Based on their finishing position in the first Duel race, the top 15 will line up on the inside row (odd-number starting positions).
Based on their finishing position in the second Duel race, the top 15 will line up on the outside row (even-number starting positions).
Positions 33-36 will go to the four fastest cars from any round of Coors Light Pole Qualifying that have not already earned a spot.
Positions 37-42 will be provisional positions, and go to the highest six cars in 2014 owner points that are present, have entered by the entry deadline and have not already qualified via the Duel or Coors Light Pole Qualifying.
The 43rd starting position will be assigned to any car owner who has the most recent eligible past NASCAR Sprint Cup champion who did not make the field by any other method, providing the driver had competed in the 2014 NASCAR Sprint Cup season. If the 43rd position remains unused, it will be assigned to the next highest car in 2014 owner points not already locked into the field.

Last edited:
Suited Frenzy

Suited Frenzy

CardsChat Elite
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm cheering on David Ragan. I'm hoping he qualifies. Reason being is that he's sporting my favorite number. I'm superstitious like that.

If he doesn't, then there are about 5 racers that I'd like to see neck-n-neck by the time the last 10 laps come around.

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I'm cheering on David Ragan. I'm hoping he qualifies. Reason being is that he's sporting my favorite number. I'm superstitious like that.

If he doesn't, then there are about 5 racers that I'd like to see neck-n-neck by the time the last 10 laps come around.

He's a very good plate track driver, fingers crossed for him. Please note drivers whom show the * saying they must race their way in or qualify on speed are only noted as they do not have provisional availability for positions 37th thru 43rd

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
News from Daytona, both #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr, and #11 Denny Hamlin's cars did not pass post qualifying inspection.

The #88 Nationwide Chevrolet SS was found to not meet minimum height requirements, (too low on the left front.) His time was disallowed and he will now start 25th in Duel Race #1, (instead of 5th in Duel Race #2.)

The #11 FedEx Toyota Camry was found to have an illegal track bar split. (Legal split 3.0 inches maximum, the #11 car had a split of 3.75 inches.) His time was disallowed and he will now start 24th in Duel Race #2, (instead of 2nd in Duel Race #1.)

Jillychemung

Jillychemung

Stacks & Stacks
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Really liked the way Martin Truex ran yesterday. Be nice to see that team score a 500 win.

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
The #44 team that didn't have a back up for the Duel races after wrecking in qualifying has sent 2 cars to Daytona, should they make the 500 and need a 3rd car for the race itself should something go wrong at the end of the Duels.

G

goodhandluke

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
^ thats sad, thats one reason i kinda dont like this qualifying format

I like the duels, but pack qualifying makes no sense

Sure f1 does it but f1 cars handle so well that you can turn on a dime in rain at 200+ mph and also they dont TOUCH eachother

Nascar is too physical for that crap

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
#10 Danica Patricks, #46 Michael Annett, #42 Kyle Larson, and #26 Jeb Burton (I believe was the other car) sustained damage to their cars in Daytona 500 Practice today.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=IMP1mxEajU8

#10, #46, & #26 confirmed to back up cars. Unsure of the #42.

Tried to embed video don't know how to here.

Last edited:
twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Duel #1 Recap

Lap 17 Caution #1, #13 Casey Mears suffered a blown motor.

Lap 28 Caution #2, #83 Johnny Sauter (major damage) #47 AJ Allmendinger (major damage) #43 Aric Almirola (minor damage) involved in a 3 car incident, started by the #47 car it would appear.

Lap 51 Caution #3, #6 Trevor Bayne (major damage) #42 (minor damage, this car was involved in a practice incident as well) involved in a 2 car incident, started by the #6 car when the car appeared to get aero loose and began to self spin.

Lap 60 Duel 1 complete, #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr Win! #33 Ty Dillon finished in the last transfer spot and is locked into the Daytona 500.

Locked into the Daytona 500 racing their way in from Duel #1, #88 Dale Earnhardt Jr, #22 Joey Logano, #14 Tony Stewart, #15 Clint Bowyer, #4 Kevin Harvick, #5 Kasey Kahne, #1 Jamie McMurray, #40 Landon Cassill, #35 Cole Whitt, #27 Paul Menard, #95 Michael McDowell, #23 JJ Yeley, #46 Michael Annett, #42 Kyle Larson, #33 Ty Dillon. (#24 Jeff Gordon was locked in prior to today's race)

DNQ's from Duel #1, #29 Justin Marks & #30 Ron Hornaday Jr.

Overall pretty good racing, in my opinion, these Duel races are always an eggshell type race due to so many drivers trying to make it into the race, and others keeping their car in 1 piece. Crazy to think with the ambient temperatures being so low, these races are going to be the best these machines handle this weekend, and they're all over the place at times. The Daytona 500 should be a great race. Duel #2 upcoming.

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Duel #2 Recap

Lap 1 #98 Josh Wise to the garage with fuel pick-up issues

Lap 20 Caution #1, #34 David Ragan (major damage)

Lap 37 Caution #2, #9 Sam Hornish Jr (major damage) #26 Jeb Burton (major damage) #7 Alex Bowman (major damage) #3 Austin Dillon (medium damage) initiated by contact between #26 & #9, Red Flag

Lap 55 Caution #3, #10 Danica Patrick (major damage) #32 Bobby Labonte (major damage) #62 Brian Scott (major damage) #31 Ryan Newman (minor damage) #11 Denny Hamlin spun the #10 car, bump drafting in the corner it appears. (Denny says they didn't touch, in the replay it appears to me personally that the #11 drove up behind the #10 forcing the car aero loose then tapped the #10 after the car got loose.)

Green-White-Checkered Attempt #1, Duel 2 complete, #48 Jimmie Johnson wins! #17 Ricky Stenhouse Jr finished in the last transfer spot and is locked into the Daytona 500.

Danica Patrick confronting Denny Hamlin on pit road after the race.

Daytona 500 field is set (unofficially) and the following teams/drivers are headed home, #29 Justin Marks, #30 Ron Hornaday Jr., #98 Josh Wise, #7 Alex Bowman, #26 Jeb Burton, & #62 Brian Scott

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
OFFICIAL: KURT BUSCH INDEFINITELY SUSPENDED BY NASCAR

Regan Smith will drive the #41 HAAS Automation Chevrolet SS on Sunday

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Kyle Busch was injured in the Xfinity Series race today, and will not be able to race tomorrow. As of now a driver has not been named.

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Matt Crafton will drive the #18 today.

P

PLAYFUL1

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
don't care for auto racing:afraid:

twiztidwolff

twiztidwolff

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
Great race today, they were 3 by 3 for 25 laps toward the end and it was dicey as hell! Congrats to #22 Joey Logano!

Divebitch

Divebitch

Miss you, Buckster,,,,,
Silver Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
In my NASCAR.com league, we get points for place differential. Meaning if a driver starts last and finishes 3rd, that's 20 pts. Inversely, if Jeff Gordon is 1st and finishes late, that's minus pts. Luckily he did me solid on laps led. Also had Hamlin who started in the back, led laps, and finished strong.

Very tame race compared to what I expected. If the Duels were any indication of what was to come, I expected a good 5 multi-wrecks. hehe Especially with Kurt & Kyle out, Vickers out, lots of new faces, new teams and pit crews - and not to mention....where did all those new cars come from? Like Danica wrecked her first two, right? Just figured a lot of cars would not be up to snuff.

Pretty wild about Kurt Busch. If Roger Goodell was in charge, he'd probably have raced. lol

B

BOSTON WALLY

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
really wanted to see the 24 car win