24 teams for the UEFA European Football Championship is too many?

Vallet

Vallet

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
16 teams participated in the UEFA European Football Championship from 1996 to 2016. The qualifying tournament was quite difficult. Many top teams sometimes did not qualify for the championship. Now the number of participants has been increased to 24. Countries that have never participated get there. This is a good opportunity for them, but for the top teams, selection has become an easy walk.
24 teams for the UEFA European Football Championship, selection has become less prestigious?

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
24 teams too many + easy walk for top teams right ... Maybe you'd remind us what Holland did during EURO2016 (which was first with more countries) lol ...

B

BART777

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I like 24 teams better, this corresponds to the level of European teams. this is profitable marketing, more good games. if you look at the composition of the groups of the nearest Euro, then they look militant, and group F is generally powerful.
I care more: how will Euro 2020 be held?! with the audience or dull, as now the Champions League.

D

Davey_H

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Chips
I felt 16 was probably too many, never mind 24 - they're supposed to be "finals".
And if I may be a maths geek for a moment, the number of participants should be a power of 2. The last tournament was farcical because teams would finish 3rd in a group and have to carry on training, not knowing if they were through or not until the other groups had finished

B

Belgiumburnley

Rock Star
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
24 is too many. Some of the qualification games are like friendlies now

G

gichka97

Visionary
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I don't think it is too many. This is a good chance for the small countries in Europe to feel the pleasure to play on that tournament. In 2016 we saw the first time of the tournament with that format and I think there were a lot of dramatic matches in the groups and especially with the 3rd place teams in the groups to qualify for the 1/8finals.

I am waiting to see as well in 2026 the World Cup with 48 teams and hope Europe will receive more seeds, because at the current format every time on World Cup some big teams are missing from Europe for teams from South/North America, where in South America there are 12-13 countries and have 4 directly seeds for World Cup.....

G

gazdagleszek

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
My opinion

My opinion that 24 is too many. I live in Hungary we have small teams and probably never win the Champions League ever again. And for example now played the Ferencváros TC in the CL and in the group they finished with 5 loss and 1 draw. It is nothing it is shame although they try to sell like a big reach.

Risto234

Risto234

põrandaalune pokkerimängija
Loyaler
Total posts
Awards
EE
Chips
My opinion that 24 is too many. I live in Hungary we have small teams and probably never win the Champions League. And for example now played the Ferencváros TC in the CL and in the group they finished with 5 loss and 1 draw. It is nothing it is shame although they try to sell like a big reach.

So you pretty much hope that your NT and clubs would never be succesful in international competions right :bebored:

S

SerValeMart

Enthusiast
Silver Level
Total posts
Chips
I think a large number of teams in the championship tournament is not good. Champions League (the main tournament in terms of rank). For small teams - other Euro tournaments - this one is correct.