Adaptation and change of buyin levels.

A

Amblo

Legend
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I have experienced this change, and I can say that changing levels should be done very carefully.

Because at the same time we see many terrible players who are even worse than freerollers, who are trying to improve and grow. Some players just have money and want to have fun, with no intention of improving or even without a relevant meaning between poker and their life purpose, just fun.

On the other hand, I noticed that there were more players with the same tendencies and statistics as me, also players whose patterns were so well mixed that the game has little room for exploration.

Wow, I discovered how difficult and irritating it is to play against me.

Joking aside, although not really...

The point I want to make here is: When you have a clear opportunity to change limits, I recommend that you take a break, study these limits and tendencies well, prepare yourself psychologically before embarking on this new journey.

Something very obvious happened, but sometimes it can be unnoticeable due to lack of attention and preparation. When I played more micros and freerolls, I initially noticed that often with less prepared players the most correct and advanced strategies didn't work, especially bluffing. Phil Evey once said: "never try to bluff someone who isn't paying attention to you". So you end up adapting to this micro and freeroll atmosphere and end up improving your strategy to win. When you move to other limits, the opposite happens. "Although I am a very wild and careless player who does not worry about money pressure or anything like that, there may still be room for doubt and fear due to factors that should not influence your game, such as buying in or possible gains.
So all that baggage that you built on your journey based on experience and proven teachings as cutting-edge truths that you learned, which did not work very well, start to work, but fear or greed end up preventing you from making the best decisions, or even due to a lack of coercion to do what needs to be done.

Realize the size of this trap: When you do what in theory, experience and practice would be more profitable, with beginner players it does not work effectively due to the lack of meta game and advanced line of reasoning. And when you find a population of players who think a little closer to you, factors external to the intrinsic conception end up hindering performance.
All mental, as always.

R

rsparente

Rock Star
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
BR
Chips
Yep, those who have lots of money, get lucky sometimes. And has it to pay, the advice is to only go on their all ins nuts.

toots babos

toots babos

ex-tornament grinder
Bronze Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
Moving up limit is simple, add in higher buy ins at the same time as removing your previous lowest buy ins. It's a volume game.

F

fefibecerra

Rock Star
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
You are mentioning an interesting point, but how can someone study the next level they are going to try? I feel like the only way is by actually playing at that level, in which case my advice would be "pay a lot of attention and adapt quickly".

hardongear

hardongear

Visionary
Silver Level
Total posts
CA
Chips
You are mentioning an interesting point, but how can someone study the next level they are going to try? I feel like the only way is by actually playing at that level, in which case my advice would be "pay a lot of attention and adapt quickly".

As 20+ year player who's gone from 2nl-50nl a number of times over the years(I enjoy doing challenges). I also play different stakes of MTT's. I only double table. Back when I use to study, build my game and improve my game I'd only single table my current level and then I'd open up a random table at the next level and watch them play as I played. Specially when my bankroll was getting close to being ready for the next level.

I found that gave me a feel and the flow of the game and how the next level player pool played vs current player pool. Things I paid attention to on avg how many players went to the flop/hand. Avg 3bet%. Avg VPIP. Avg % a hand went to showdown.

Do that for a week or 2 before jumping to the next level and you'll have a decent idea of what's going on, the feel and flow of the game when it comes to the avg player.

@I Live Poker . Great thread topic. This should be an interesting topic of discussion with no real right or wrong way/opinons.

Cheers!!!

pirateglenn

pirateglenn

Legend
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
I think the important question is - why does anyone increase the buy in levels they are at?

for me - it should always be results orientated and should be a gradual process, i have seen players jump from freerolls to low buy ins and totally bypass micros with generally poor results.

Each to their own but i would urge caution and for you to always put Bankroll Management first and foremost.

ninocabral

ninocabral

Visionary
Platinum Level
Total posts
Awards
Chips
To increase the buy-in is high, it has to be done slowly, and only raise the level when you have easily won the buy-in that is

Luvepoker

Luvepoker

Lost in the twilight zone
Community Guide
Total posts
Awards
US
Chips
I n.

Wow, I discovered how difficult and irritating it is to play against me.

J

I would hope so since you are a good player.

Joking aside you do need to be more aware of players when playing higher levels. There maybe some really solid poker players at the lower lever but there are more the more you move up.